Join Strat-Talk Today

1959 Blues Strat Pickups. Our Best Stratocaster Pickups for Blues Tone. Review of Tone Specific.

Discussion in 'Guitar Parts Vendors' started by Tone Specific, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Tone Specific

Tone Specific Strat-Talk Member Vendor Member

IMG_5445_1024x1024.JPG

This set has a nice Bluesy type of tone but you can play anything with them. Check out the video.

2. Tone Specific

3. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Do these pickups sound good for blues?

StillAlive&Well and fezz parka like this.
  4. Tone Specific

That's what we were going for but they sound good for just about type of music that you might use a Strat for. It's our most popular set. This set is based on a vintage 1959 set. We made a couple of modifications for modern players. The bridge is fuller and the middle is RWRP for noise canceling in positions 2 and 4.

Here is another video. This pro installed them in his 1966 Strat.

Ditchgator likes this.
  5. Tone Specific

Here is a little more detail on the thought process behind this set.

The Alnico 3 magnets in the early Strat were short-lived and Fender moved on to using Alnico 5 magnets. The result was a tone that most would say is more bold. In addition you get more dynamics and a bigger bottom.

These tonal attributes describe what we believe the Best Blues Strats should have so this is the set that we've based the 1959 Blues Strat Pickups on.

When trying to make pickups that excel at certain tones we always try to look to the past to find a starting point. Once we get the core tone identified we put our spin on it to make something we feel is unique. All of our Strat sets are RWRP to cancel noise in positions 2 & 4. The bridge pickups are also made to sound fatter and fuller. We want our pickups to maintain vintage sweetness so we don't go crazy overwinding them.

Ditchgator likes this.
  6. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker

They sound interesting to me. Any more videos? With a better recording? The videos sound like they were recorded by an iphone, but the guitar players did a very good job.

7. Tone Specific

The players in the first two video's are really outstanding. The first video features Mike Gallaher. He's best known for his work with Joe Cocker & Leon Russell.

The second player is named Ford Thurston and he is a Nashville workhorse that is currently on tour with Randy Houser.

Here is a video @JayLeonard featuring the Tone Specific Blues Stratocaster Pickups at his studio.

Ditchgator likes this.
  8. Tone Specific

Here is another session player that uses the Tone Specific 1959 Blues Strat Pickup Set.

Ditchgator likes this.
  9. Tone Specific

Here's another video with Jay playing the Tone Specific 1959 Blues Stratocaster Pickups.

Ditchgator likes this.
  10. ElPasoGuitar

ElPasoGuitar New Member!

Best Pickups I ever played. Really warm/dynamic they even sound better than the video demo's. I played alot of pickups over the years and I can't believe how much better these 59 Blues Strat pickups feel and sound. I just got on the list for 2 PAF sets, 59 Blues for my r9 Les Paul and Jazz for my CS 335. Can't wait to make these guitars sing like my Strat does now.

I only wish I did it sooner. Some of the hate posts on these forums from obvious non-customers scared me away. Then I figured if people are willing to pay $400 and wait 3 months, then they must be good.

I really don't know what those guys do different but the Tone Specific's make everything else sound stiff and dull. It's like they have tubes in them. Well done Tone Specific, now hurry up on my PAF's :)

I'll be getting these for all of my guitars.

11. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Sound great! Very SRV~ish. I like 'em

Where are you guys based outta

12. Tone Specific

You obviously have very good ears. We are glad you like them. We are working on your P.A.F. orders. We put a lot of time in to each set because we want them to sound perfect. We don’t take shortcuts and we don’t rush the process. Your patience is much appreciated.

13. Tone Specific

Thanks for your kind words. You can definitely cover SRV tone with our 59 Blues set. Of course they can do much more if you want them to. They cover just about any type of music & will work for any guitarist that likes warm Strat tones with plenty of built in dynamics.

14. Tone Specific

We are located in the back country of San Diego County in Southern California.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.