1960 Gibson GA-5 Skylark

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JamieHenry, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:50 PM.

1. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-Talker

I was doing a little research for insurance valuations on my hoard earlier. Blue book figures can be useful, but I like to look around for actual sales on Reverb, eBay, etc. I have had this little Gibson GA-5 Skylark amp since the middle 70s. I only paid like 10 bucks for it, and I assumed it was common and cheap yet. But I only saw one for sale out there, not even working, with a changed speaker too, and they were asking almost $800! Are these amps really worth that kind of money these days? It’s a nice sounding little amp, but Jeez! I hadn’t realized mine had been modified until recently, but frankly, I like this configuration better. Anyway, is there someone famous using one of these or something? How on earth can they even be asking that kind of money? Half that for a broken practice amp seems ridiculous! But it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been shocked by how much stuff I thought was old junk is going for these days. Like my Maestro Bass Brassmaster. Crazy! But I digress. Can anyone tell me more about what would make this cool little amp such hot stuff?

674F1609-9BFB-440A-BA8A-72914BF851D2.jpeg

2. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

As I understand, it's essentially Gibson's version of the early 50s Champ, but (at least it used to be) a less expensive version.
    I've never had one, but my understanding is they are decent little amps and a way to get a vintage champ tone on a budget.

I watched this a few months ago. Maybe Rhett can provide some insight

Jimbo_Jones likes this.
  3. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

it's old. i had a '56 GA40 that would be worth about 1500 if i hadnt sold it for $150 35 years ago - i'd bought it for ten the year before and thought i was a regular business genius...

4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

It's only worth what buyers will pay and that sets the market. I would never pay that for that particular amp in broken condition.

People seem to equate old and/or rare with "valuable". That's not always true.

Still a pretty cool little amp you got there though.

Groovey likes this.
  5. Jimbo_Jones

Jimbo_Jones Strat-Talk Member

A roomate back at school had one of these, I used to play on it a lot. Good memories! Of course, back then it wasn't an old amp...