Join Strat-Talk Today

1961 replacement pickup

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by clint54, Jun 17, 2019.

1. clint54

clint54 Strat-Talk Member

Went to try my 61 Strat and noticed the neck pickup wasn’t working striped down today and found it was almost open circuit (2 M ohm) after reading various threads on net they said sending for a rewind is expensive and devalues guitar more anyway. Can anybody recommend a replacement pickup which sounds as original ?

2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi Clint. It's not at all expensive, and certainly doesn't devalue the guitar. Send it to Lindy Fralin - a member here had EXCELLENT results a month or so back. A full rewind wasn't required and the originality was preserved. Even worst case scenario - a full rewind of your original pickup would sound way more original than any replacement. Great thing about Fralin - they do all they can to diagnose and repair the pickup before rewinding.

For $75 or less. That's super cheap in my opinion :)

https://www.fralinpickups.com/resources/rewinds-repairs/

3. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

+1 on having Lindy look at it.

4. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

or Jim Rolph.

5. clint54

Thanks for the info. I’m in the UK so shipping cost would be added ($50 from Fralin)I’d already looked at there Strat pickups. They seem the most experienced company. I’ll have to decide on a new pick up from Fralin now and get repair later??

Bazz Jass likes this.
  6. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Even with their shipping, it's only £100 equivalent to repair. If you can find a pickup that sounds like an original 61 for that price, please let me know!!!! o_O

Nate D likes this.
  7. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Contact Bare Knuckle. They're in the UK, have tons of experience and make great pickups.

elduderinoTF and Nate D like this.
  8. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

9. inra311

inra311 Strat-Talker

Check if you can find a damage. When the pickup wire broke deep inside the coil - e.g. due to corrosion on the pole pieces - you have no chance to repair it. Sometimes it breaks on the top layer, e.g. when a shrinking pickguard pushed the pickup cover against the coil. In this case you might solder one of the open ends to the eyelet and you might loose only a few wire turns of the top layer. I coud repair a vintage pickup this way some time ago.
    Some repairman offer to unwind the pickup and rewind it with the same wire. Not easy but more original than a standard rewound.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Rewind that one.

Nick-O likes this.
  11. clint54

Hi all, thanks for all the advice!After phoning them , I finally chose Bare Knuckle Pickups in the UK to rewind my pickup to original spec, using the original lead wires. Looking at there list of famous users they must be good.it took about 9 working days. Cost was £55.00 including express signed for postage. The sound was exactly as it was before and totally balanced with the other Pickups. I recommend this company!!!

T Guitar Floyd, wht1, McPhaul and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.