1962 Fender Tremolux, good deal?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Stratty83, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Stratty83

Stratty83 New Member!

View attachment 270604 View attachment 270603 View attachment 270603 Hey all,

I've got the chance to pick up a '62 Tremolux Head/Cab from a local shop for $2000. Just curious if you'd consider that a decent price or Not?

What I know:

Original:
    Transformers
    Speakers (Oxfords)
    Grill cloth
    All guts as far as I know

Changed:
    Re-tolex in same blonde colour
    3-prong cord
    Ground switch removed and bias pot added in place so you don't need to pull the chassis to re-bias
    Tubes

The amp sounds good (got to spend 15 minutes or so today with it) but I don't want to over pay.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I did own a '66 Tremolux head/cab about 5 years ago that I bought for $1800.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    The-Kid and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Id say that a fair or better than fair deal given the vintage and rarity.

Id say thats a good price a bit more than fair seeing the prices on the web.

Especially given the vintage and id its in good condition and its working wells and most importantly sounds good.

Go git' some.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

I would snatch that sucker up as quickly as I could...even if some of the things listed as original are not. Beautiful sounding amps!

Paperback Rocker and The-Kid like this.
  4. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Assuming it’s a brownface head with a presence control, and a 2 x 10" bottom it should be a 6G9-B. That's a very good deal for a non-original. I'd jump on it if I had a spare $2000. If it's running right it should have a defined warm clean up to 4 or 5 After that it gets fatter and louder until a certain point on the volume knob where it just gets fatter instead of louder. Great amps.

No matter what, and I'm serious here, when you get it home be disciplined and don't plug it in. Don't play through it again until you take it to an amp tech and have it gone through. If the filter capacitors haven't been replaced in the last decade you're just rolling the dice. They have a finite life: if they've hit their limit they can short internally and take out your power transformer and other bits that you'd rather stayed original. Really. Even if you've been playing through it to test it.

I miss my blackface Tremolux head through a Rickenbacker 4 x 10" bottom. That combination had a tone I haven't been able to replicate.

5. Stratty83

Stratty83 New Member!

Screenshot_20180223-203154.png
    It' a Blonde version, no Presence control. Serial #03223. Don't remember the codes on the tube chart. But my research puts that serial to 1962.

I was told it was recently serviced but I always do as you've suggested above. Power tubes are definitely recent. Still pretty shiny JJs.

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Aesthetically its not original but mechanicaly and circuit wise the owner claims it is....

Thats the important part. Its an original if its hust aesthetic differences on an amp IMO.

7. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

I forgot... totally rong. It’s the only brownface blonde *without* a presence control. Looks good. Buy it.

Btw: don’t trust the tube chart. It doesn’t necessarily match the circuit, no matter what it says. Date the circuit by the serial number on the chassis and the transformer codes.

Stratty83 likes this.
  8. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I owned one for years. Wish I still had it. They never had a presence control. Same for Brown Deluxe, Princeton and Vibrolux.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Yeah get a reverb pedal with it like the Polaris Digitech.

Lexicon rack unit algos in the size of a pedal.

That or any reverb pedal of your choice at the price if the amp.

10. Stratty83

Stratty83 New Member!

Funny enough, I just picked up one of the Boss reverb pedals based on the stand alone Fender reverb unit from the '60s

11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

That amp don't need no reverb ;)

The-Kid likes this.
  12. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Nice those are good.

But if you feel its lacking, the Lexicon stuff in the Digitech wont fail.

I played the DRRI Boss Pedal. If its anything like that reverb. Then its amazing.

Yeah go get the amp tommorow morning.....lol.

Bad influence. For the year...its a pretty good deal. Definately a bargain, relatively speaking. I know its alot of money but its a value at the price.

Its original aside from the looks right?

13. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

My initial thought was that $2k is a bit high for a 'refin'...though 'just' a bit. The reality is that they're fabulous amps and not commonly available. If the internals check out, and if I were the one doing the considering I would have it thoroughly checked out* before committing to a price, and if the "refin" has been expertly accomplished...

Then yeah, I'd do it.

* A dear friend was considering a Vibro King. He brought it over to put on a scope. We pulled the chassis to discover things like the the filter cap 'doghouse' was a hammered out soup can. He didn't buy it.

The-Kid likes this.
  14. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

One of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. Tried to buy one off a friend that had one many years ago. He had an old Les Paul Junior and played it though an Echoplex set to a quick slapback into that amp cranked up. I had an overkill Ampeg V4 at the time. He got a huge sound at a reasonable volume. He wouldn't sell and I can't say I blamed him.

15. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I stupidly sold mine to get a BF Vibrolux Reverb. It was a good amp, but the 62 Tremolux was better.

The-Kid likes this.
  16. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Ahh....

Youd probably be saying....

" I kept the Tremolux when I should have sold it for the Vibrolux"