1962 style Pickups - 57/62 vs Fat 60s!

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ForeverFabFour, Jun 29, 2020 at 7:31 PM.

1. ForeverFabFour

ForeverFabFour Strat-Talk Member

So I will admit that I am a complete noob when it comes to single coil Strat pickups. Humbuckers and PAFs are more my wheelhouse. But anyway, I recently made my own replica of the Rocky Stratocaster that George Harrison owned. The original guitar is a 1962 Stratocaster and I have mainly stuck to that recipe so everything is accurate. The last parts I need are the Pickups. I've been overwhelmed with the choice of pick ups available. I've mainly been looking at ones produced by Fender to make things a little easier, but I'm open to other suggestions. I am kind of stuck between the Original ’57/’62 Strat® Pickups and the Custom Shop Fat '60s Stratocaster® Pickups. I'd like to stick around a budget of $200 or less if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a set or thoughts on the pick ups I am currently looking at?

PCollen and mutato like this.
  2. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-Talker

It seems to be universally agreed upon that the 57/62 set is hard to beat. Plus it's from Fender. Plus it's not a CS item. I've never actually tried them, but I constantly hear about how great they are.

ForeverFabFour and mikej89 like this.
  3. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Another vote for the 57/62 set. People rave about them and they are a great value. Oddly enough, they're actually based on a 1963 Strat pup I've heard. I have no idea what the difference is between a '62 and '63 pup as far as materials, winding, etc.

4. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

A timely thread for me. I just picked up an '06 AVRI '62 Strat and was wondering what pickups might be most period correct. Not that there's anything wrong with the stock ones. For all I know they're 57/62s.

5. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I was just playing my 1986 AVRI '62 reissue and it has what became the 57/62 pickups. Perfect for that guitar. If you look through the fender variations, they are just that. Micro differences in specs and/or tone. Look around for some used ones and have fun.

6. ForeverFabFour

I'm definitely leaning towards the 57/62 set. They are price friendly for sure! I'll wait to hear a few more opinions before I pull the trigger but most of the reviews are very favorable.

7. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

I own a 1990 Fender US Vintage '57 Reissue Stratocaster with what must be some like the 57/62 pickups.

I also own a parts-build that has a set of the Fender Custom Shop Fat 60s pickup set.

To my ears, the '57 Reissue's pickups sound a little lean, but they sound fantastic clean or driven.

The Fat 60s also have great clean tone, but are perhaps a little better suited to overdriven, bluesy type tones.

Both sets of pickups are hard to beat and have their own individual character; '57 being a little cleaner, Fat 60s being a little more raunchy.

ForeverFabFour likes this.
  8. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

I've owned many high end Strats over the years. Some with 57/62s and some with other offerings. I can say that without question the 57/62s have been my favorites. Richly nuanced and bell like, the 57/62s are, for me, the quintessential Strat sound. They sound great on their own and they take distortion and other effects quite nicely.

ForeverFabFour likes this.
  9. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Neither.... they're far better options just depends on what you willing to spend

10. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

200 or less? Buy onamac windery pickups

11. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

As others have mentioned, 57'62s would be just fine. Seymour Duncans SSL-1s also.

Neophyte16 likes this.
  12. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The Pure Vintage '59 pickups may be worth considering, they are stock in the American Original 50s Strat if you can find one to try.

13. Soul31

Soul31 Strat-Talker

If you want more vintage correct go 57/62. Fat 60s are overwound higher output pickups which can be considered a more modern take on a vintage pickup set.

jrbirdman likes this.
  14. Neophyte16

Neophyte16 Strat-Talker

+1 on this

15. HoneyBearWombat

HoneyBearWombat Strat-Talk Member

Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Surfers are the perfect '62 pickups.

16. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Are the pole pieces beveled at the top ? Is the B string pole slightly BELOW or even with the opening in the pickup cover ? Are the G and D string poles the same height, and the A and E string poles the same height ?

If yes to all the above, then from outward appearances, and without having to get under the hood for a closer look, they could very well be 57/62 pickups. Another thing to look at is whether the middle pickup is RWRP. It typically is NOT, except that for some reason the set that is loaded stock into the Classic Player 50's Strat DOES have a RWRP middle pickup (its a bonus feature, IMO).

To top this off, here is a reveiw of your guitar that mentions the pickups in some detail:

http://iheartguitarblog.com/2010/08/review-fender-american-vintage-’62-stratocaster-reissue.html

17. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The '57/'62 is a compromise. Fender used them in both the '57 and '62 AVRIs hence the name. Historically correct? I doubt it. By 1962 pickup technology had changed from that used in 1957. If the 'Pure Vintage '59 is historically correct then using the '57 pickup in a '62 was plain wrong.

It's a great sounding pickup though!

Bladesg likes this.
  18. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

IMO the names are mixed up and some of it makes no sense.

Having said that I'm not a Fender historian like some of the guys here.

19. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

I put 57/62s in my 72 when the originals went south.....it sounds like a new Fullerton strat now - fat fiddies......meh. I had some in my 2012 but not that thrilled....I have another pg on that guitar now.
    My vote......57/62s

20. ForeverFabFour

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of 57/62s. Musicians Friend had a killer deal for a brand new set at only $99.99. Couldn't pass them up at that price!
    I checked out the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Surfers that @HoneyBearWombat recommended. They sounded fantastic and were a close second place. However, I went with the 57/62s due to the affordability. Will update this thread once I get them installed next week.