1965 Candy Apple Red Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by crashbelt, Feb 4, 2020.

1. SoK66

SoK66 Strat-Talk Member

My Nov '64 was refined by the Factory in 69. Best I can tell it is Olympic White, over CAR, over Sunburst. I got it from the original owner 28 years ago. In '69 when he got back from Vietnam he'd had the original selling dealer send it off to Fender to be refinished. I bought it to be a player and didn;t care about the refin...or the '69 era decal. I never thought to ask him what color it was originally, I just assumed it had been white. I bet it was CAR. _DSC1527.JPG

crashbelt and Bazz Jass like this.
  2. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Absolute stunner, the board looks like the rarer cocobolo rosewood to me as well .

crashbelt likes this.
  3. The Experience

The Experience New Member!

Beautiful CAR strat, condition is excellent!! Play in good heath, Peace!!

crashbelt likes this.
  4. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

I was hoping there might be some thoughts about the board. It's quite different from the chocolate brown open pored boards on my early 60s Gibson.

I thought it might be an early Indian r/w board so your thoughts are really interesting.

I'm a novice on this subject so any more enlightenment would be cool.

5. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

crashbelt likes this.
  6. warblington

warblington Strat-Talk Member

Who was the dealer?

7. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

New Kings Road Vintage Guitars.

warblington likes this.
  8. Stratwrangler

I would say that second one has been planed when its been re fretted.

crashbelt likes this.
  9. warblington

I'm glad to hear that.There is a convicted fraudster dealing guitars in London. If you are suffering from any doubts about the originality of the guitar go to David J Pym and he'll authenticate it or otherwise.He will charge but if the guitar is under guarantee of any kind he's the man to go to.

crashbelt likes this.
  10. Stratwrangler

Cant help much more than that s what it looks like to me , ive seen some pre CBS boards like it in the past and apparently when there was a shortage of Brazilian they used the cocobolo . Only way to test it really is find some one allergic to it, as obviously you cant send a bit off to be tested. Its not nice to work with and the dust is terrible from it probably why fender never used it regularly as causes lung problems and allergies even to people that dont normally have any. Apparently it has a slightly spicy smell to it .

crashbelt likes this.
  11. Violeiro

Violeiro Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Gorgeous guitar, congrats [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

crashbelt and warblington like this.
  12. texasinNY

texasinNY Strat-Talk Member

Sweet!

crashbelt likes this.
  13. warblington

Here's photo's of part of my 66 Telecaster rosewood board. If I oiled the board the contrast between the light and dark striations would be much like the OP pics.
    tele_66_7-1.jpg tele_66_7-1.jpg tele_66_6-1.jpg

crashbelt likes this.
  14. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

Awesome strat! CAR is such an awesome color

crashbelt likes this.
  15. Stratwrangler

Cocobolo is a type of rosewood from the same family, yours could be as well , im not saying it is but when you compare it to the usual very dark board s there very different , the board on my dads 62 neck looks almost ebony . And the ops is much more pronounced than yours .

Look up some example s of cocobolo on line and you will see where I coming from. Its a known fact they did use it sometimes .

crashbelt likes this.
  16. Stratwrangler

My dads 59/62 see how the boards as Black as the pickguard
    there is no colour variation in it at all up close just black.

Attached Files:

crashbelt likes this.
  17. warblington

In my opinion Cocobolo has a much more orangey appearance. I thought the reason Fender switched from Brazilian to Indian rosewood was based on cost rather than scarcity.However I'm really interested to know about Fender making Cocobolo fretboards in the mid sixties.Do you know where this is documented?(not saying I don't believe you). I also agree that the ops board is more pronounced but I've seen Brazilian boards like that.I actually own a BRW b/s classical guitar and a Cocobolo b/s/ acoustic guitar and the difference is miles apart visually.

crashbelt and Stratwrangler like this.
  18. mike58

mike58 Strat-Talk Member

Yes I have heard that there are major fraudsters still in business in ?Soho. This and the skill of fakers has virtually stopped my search for a lefty pre CBS Strat ( tho I guess there are fewer fake lefties).
    What are the credentials of Mr Pym? and does he simply charge for his time or is it based on ( hopefully not) the instrument asking price.

crashbelt likes this.
  19. warblington

He's based near Newbury. He has an amazing collection of instruments and deals online and from physical premises.He is renowned as a expert on guitar identification. He deals almost exclusively in 100% original guitars which he acquires through various sources.His knowledge is down to experience and study.I went to his house to buy some Telecasters off him 10 years ago.All his guitars are professionally photographed and he provides the provenance of the guitar. As I understand it ,it is a set fee for his inspection, not based on the guitar value.To be fair ,there's plenty of good information out there about spotting authenticity but I'd leave it to an expert with a reputation to uphold.Sadly there are fakers and conmen about and you're probably right that a forged lefty is less likely.BTW, I have no connection with Mr Pym other than I was a customer of his ten years ago.

crashbelt and Stratwrangler like this.
  20. Stratwrangler

Unfortunately like a lot of things fender at that time its hard to nail these things as fact , I did have an article about it on a different computer let me see if I can find it and I send you it :thumb: . Ive got very into documenting pre CBS pickups recently which is another mine field entirely lol. Leave it with me .

crashbelt likes this.