Join Strat-Talk Today

1965 Stratocaster L-series, new video!

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Bobchill, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Bobchill

Bobchill Strat-Talk Member

New video of the "Bob's Tone Review" channel, dedicated to a wonderful vintage original 1965 "L-series" Stratocaster with all the desirable pre-CBS appointments. Let's hear her voice and what stories she has to tell; enjoy!

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

Bob "not a strat guy" Chill great review!

3. Bobchill

Ha! Ha! Thank you, of course I do love a great vintage Fender anytime : )

T Guitar Floyd and Guy Named Sue like this.
  4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I thought that was a transition logo? Also seems to have the pearloid dots vs. the more desirable clay dots.

Adam Wolfaardt likes this.
  5. Bobchill

Sure Stratoskater, it has transition logo, pearly dots and curved veneer rosewood fingerboard; still has great woods, the narrow headstock and L-series neck plate serial so it's a typical instrument of that period of transition in 1965 and all in all... a great guitar! : )

6. Stratoskater

My point was Pre CBS items collectors look for are clay dots and spaghetti logo. I'm sure it's still a great guitar and it sounds awesome for sure, just pointing out you said it has all the desirable Pre CBS appointments but it is missing two of the most desirable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  7. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Is your channel monetized? If so, IMO it falls under the competing websites rule here.

Posting a non-affliated video that isn't part of "Bob's Tone Review" would be cool.

FWIW, I own a early '65 Strat. Nice guitars.

Stratoskater and Bazz Jass like this.
  8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Good video, thanks for sharing and welcome in Bob.

rafasounds likes this.
  9. Bobchill

No Fezz, I'm not trying to sell anything and my new channel is animated by a genuine enthusiasm for vintage guitars and desire to share some knowledge, so wish me good luck : )

trevanorak and fezz parka like this.
  10. Bobchill

Thank you Strat-strummer!

11. fezz parka

I didn't think you were selling anything. Monetizing means you get paid by YouTube for the plays on your channel.

I'm always a bit skeptical of these types of posts by a new user that drive traffic to a channel. Especially a review channel with multiple reviews. ;)

Stratoskater likes this.
  12. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

The desirable pre cbs features are spaghetti logo, clay dots, mint green pickguard and a small head stock. This guitar has only one of those disirable pre cbs features. I know that decals and dots don't change the sound any but they are the less disirable features that came along right at the end of the golden period

Stratoskater likes this.
  13. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

That's right. Not correct to say "with all the desirable pre-CBS appointments."

Pedantic? Yes. That's what we do here.... Welcome! ;)

Stratoskater likes this.
  14. Bobchill

@Adam Wolfaardt - Bazz Jass - Stratoskater

Yes technically (or "pedantic" : )) speaking you are all right and possibly I've been carried too far. I meant all desirable features compatible with the period of production, otherwise we should also mention more features such as a slab fingerboard as opposed to the thin veneer of that guitar; some '65 Mustangs have it. Nevertheless you forget to mention the Brazilian rosewood that in my opinion is by far a more important feature than "decals and dots", especially from the player's point of view.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  15. Bobchill

fezz parka as I already mentioned my channel is not monetized. Still, if it was the case, I would have seen no evil in sharing some genuine interest,and knowledge. I'm definitely new to this forum but I'm not new at all to vintage guitars or guitar forums.
    I'm a long time video producer, guitar player and vintage guitars enthusiast so hopefully my contribution is welcome : )

gotzz, ryapou, hexnut and 2 others like this.
  16. Stratoskater

If your channel is monetized (i.e. you make money in any way from it, regardless of if you sell anything) then posting your videos on Strat Talk violates the rule about posts for a competing website. It's why the owners of That Pedal Show, The Doug and Pat Show and others such monetized channels do not get to post their videos here. Members can post them but the owners cannot.

fezz parka and gofmusic like this.
  17. fezz parka

That's obvious. The way I see it, you joined the site to promote your video channel on youtube. That's against the rules.

Stratoskater and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  18. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for the video and the review!

Nice CBS guitar (yes, a guitar with a final assembly in '65 is technically speaking a CBS guitar).
    But is it less desirable for this reason, I guess that depends who you ask.
    Let's be clear, good guitars were made in any year, and the guitars coming out of Fullerton in '65 are practically the same as the previous years.
    A part from the whiter pickguard, the transitional logo and the pearloid dots, the looks of the guitar are identically. The pickups are somewhat different but a lot of people like the enamel pickups better than the formvar ones.

Bottom line, any guitar in the right hands can sound stellar... And any pre-cbs guitar in the wrong hands will probably not sound any good.

As for the debate if you're promoting your YouTube channel, I can only say that I don't see any annoying ads popping up and to me it's clear you are passionate about what you do. But if you follow the rules to the letter (which is why rules are made) then I think this can be locked...

IBTL :D

rafasounds, Stratoskater and Bobchill like this.
  19. Bobchill

Thank you for the kind words @Mipstoo

@Stratoskater and @fezz parka: cool down guys, again, my channel is NOT monetized. I could write a post or make a video, same thing. Please note that my post didn't mention any invitation to subscribe my channel. The end screen of the video does, of course, but still it's not mandatory to click or even watch. Sharing knowledge or experience is actually in the spirit of this or any forum. Having said that, if my contribution for whatever reason is generally not welcome (and not only from the two of you : ) I promise I won't disturb no further.

rafasounds likes this.
  20. Stratoskater

You know what buddy, we were just trying to help you out with the rules here. It's up to the mods and owner to decided ultimately if you are violating the rules not us. As long as your site wasn't breaking the competing site rule I dug the video and was happy to see you stay and post but since you want to get all snarky and rude I'm putting you on my ignore list (congrats for being the first one to make the cornfield in under 10 posts!) so I could care less if you stay or go since I won't see your posts anymore.

Bobchill and fezz parka like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.