Join Strat-Talk Today

1968, what happened between the Blackface and the Silverface era? NEW VIDEO!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Bobchill, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Bobchill

Bobchill Strat-Talk Member

I just released this short video about the transitional era of the Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers at the end of the 60's, the period of the so-called "Drip Edge" Silverface models.

English and Italian subtitles available.
    I hope you enjoy!

Tone Guru, Nate D, vid1900 and 2 others like this.
  2. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

4FB59433-D6EF-4707-A8FD-E8BB3CEDC88E.jpeg AFDB4C76-61E2-4785-8E98-102E4A4BA633.jpeg Not bad at all. The drip edge are my favorite. Even though the Silverface faceplates with the vertical black lines showed up on the earliest of the Silverface models it continued to be used through 68- 69 on a few select models. This faceplate didn’t necessarily mean that the circuitry was blackface. I have seen it on numerous 68- 69 amps over the years. I would imagine it was left over stock that was used up till it was gone, same deal with the tube charts, Fender didn’t waste much. Also the earliest Silverface amps from 67-mid 68 used a short lived grill cloth before it was changed over to the second version like on your 69 model in the video. I personally like the first version the best and all my 67 and early 68 have it. Not to many people realize there were 2 types in the beginning. Top photo is the original, then it changed to the bottom style. Both had 2 vertical tortoise threads side by side, and silver sparkle thread throughout the cloth. I think it was 74 Fender dropped the tortoise and switched to a rusty brown color. Thanks for posting I’m sure this will help a lot of people understand more about the transitional period amps.

Tone Guru, Bobchill and Nate D like this.
  3. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

You two definitely know your silverface amps!!!

Bobchill likes this.
  4. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

Only because I was born before they came out, been using them from 67- 2019.

Bobchill and Nate D like this.
  5. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

My first good amp was a silverface Champ. I love those things and can’t wait until my schedule allows me to pickup my SF Vibro Champ

Bobchill likes this.
  6. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

Theres a lot of great amps in the world I just grew up with these old Fenders and love them so they are very special to me. I’m referring to the 67 and very early 68 with the snowman 8 knobs, early version cloth, AB768 Blackface circuits. Another thing you never hear mentioned much is the 6dB difference between the #1-#2 inputs comes in handy with humbuckers.

Bobchill likes this.
  7. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Mine's got the AC568 circuit. Picked it up last year for $500 Great video! There's a thread somewhere on here where I restored it. Mine's got a 15 inch EV speaker in it.

Bobchill likes this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

It sounds like Fender added screen resistors and changed a few values to keep it even more clean, more headroom? If you operate a Twin mostly in the clean zone, say less than 5 (avoiding brain damaging levels), is there no difference between a blackface, and say an AA270 tone?

9. Bobchill

I'm happy that you liked the video! All you say is very interesting, I didn't know about the two different grill cloth textures. As for the vertical lines, in fact I mentioned that only "SOME" of the early silverfaces with the original AB763 circuit can be recognized by the vertical black lines on the panel, sure, not all of them.

10. Bobchill

Hello Jim, thank you for your interest! Honestly I didn't realize a huge difference in headroom after the AB763 mod. The amp became more "open" though and seemed it gained ground in a direct comparison with an original blackface amp.

11. GaryM

GaryM Strat-Talker

Here is my '67 drip edge, black line Bandmaster. I picked it up off of CraigsList.

[​IMG]

Under the hood, you can see it is a Blackface. Tidy wiring and blue Ajax coupling capacitors. This amp absolutely roars through my repro Mojotone 2X12 pine cabinet loaded with Eminence 1258 Legend speakers. An original '67 Bandmaster speaker cab was impossible to find. I have the head loaded with ANOS RCA 7025 and RCA 12AT7 preamp tubes, an RCA 12AX7 tremolo tube and GE 6L6GC output tubes. Power supply electrolytic capacitors have been replaced with F&T caps. The power cord was replaced with a three prong cord and extra bias supply filtering added.

[​IMG]

Fender Blackface amps had the blue Ajax caps, then the brown "chocolate" caps then blue Mallory caps came along in later Silverface amps. There is much internet discussion about which of those caps sound good and which sound bad. I'm not sure if that is based on fact or Internet yore. But my '67 drip edge is one sweet amp that will leave your ears ringing if cranked.

Bobchill and roadhog96 like this.
  12. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

There's no question in my mind that the blue moldeds are the best caps ever.

Bobchill and GaryM like this.
  13. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Were the transitional speaker cabs paired with these? Was it just the ‘67 BF Bandmaster and Bassman, or did some driplines get them? The cab size was slightly bigger than the previous 2 x 12,” but not the big, vertical cab.

14. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice in depth review.

My favorite part was the phone dialing. I never get to use a dial phone anymore. Sad.

Bobchill likes this.
  15. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

F896AC9B-C61A-4C3E-8F66-A5E3C2401D47.jpeg 9F98E33B-3231-4630-9B82-527EE16A9CD1.jpeg BF38127A-2FDD-4DAD-9DE6-C80B42500EE6.jpeg E76FAA79-5010-4898-9C1A-EF52030EF39C.jpeg 88FB84E5-0010-4136-95BF-211731D9FED4.jpeg 30F3955F-FB53-4ADB-8509-144BE8162F8E.jpeg 1288AE7E-EC07-47DE-AE48-DAA7A2EA5BF1.png 98749E56-C01E-4D4F-A541-63EEB9444C46.jpeg
    Very early 68 Bandmaster cab with ported baffle board loaded with 67 Fender labeled Jensen C12NA 22 rib factory cones and first version grill cloth.

Very early 67 Pro Reverb factory Blackfaced chassis blue molded caps and first version grill cloth.

Very early 67 Deluxe Reverb factory Blackfaced chassis blue molded caps and first version grill cloth.

Very early 68 Bandmaster Reverb has pushback cloth covered wire, blue molded caps, first version grill cloth and a GZ34 Rectifier tube, try and find one of these they are very rare. When I got this amp it had never been opened, I had a job separating the chassis from the cab from being intact for so many years. Everything was pristine, all RCA and Telefunken tubes and the getter flashing was new.

These early drip edge Silverface’s are nothing more than a Blackface in disguise and personally I like the look better.

Bobchill, GaryM and circles like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.