Join Strat-Talk Today

1974 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Sttar, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-O-Master

Regardless it's a piece of history to me. I was in high school and just starting a band. Every time I see a 70's Strat it reminds me of a special time in my life. I think there are people like me out there who would love to have your guitar. I wouldn't sale it to cheap because it represents more than just a guitar Thanks for the pictures

miveli, Sttar and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Not that you're not right about some '70s Strats, but there isn't any nitro on mine. The "white" coat is very similar to the gelcoat on my boats. It's thick and hard and has not degraded much over the years, other than to get more yellow. The neck is covered in clear Polyester too. I just refinished the fretboard, and the smell when sanding was exactly like when I do fiberglass work on polyester resin glass.

Sttar and Cerb like this.
  3. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

Hell yeah that's the kinda stuff I like, I'd snatch it up

4. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

What year was your strat made? Any pics of the finish in question?

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

The neck has a 1976 serial number, the neck plate has a 1974 serial number. I bought it from a kid when it was nearly new, so I'm confident everything is original other than the pickup I have in the bridge position.

Here's a photo I had on hand. You may not be able to tell, but it's a thick coat of polyester. In places it has chipped you can see it's one material. It's stained from arm contact, but there's no checking or other surface changes.

strat_1024.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Stratbats, Nick-O and Cerb like this.
  6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet but that is a Floyd Rose II bridge, not an Original Floyd Rose so I think those start in the mid/late 1980s - maybe 1988? At any rate you'll find them with "Schaller" in that oval on the bass side of the bridge plate, "Floyd Rose II", and also with some other manufacturer's names on them (Hamer, Jackson, and even Gibson had a logoed version on their MIII guitars in the early 1990s).

Sttar likes this.
  7. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Didn't know anything about finishes at the time, but yes... the "bulletproof poly" on my '78 Antigua was discolored, crazed, and softened by one afternoon playing shirtless after spraying Solarcain on a sunburn.

I'd like to find that guitar and maybe buy it back... the mark left by that day is very distinct in my memory.

8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

An original 70's strat in excellent, all original condition can easily get 3k. For the one with the Floyd though, in that condition, I wouldn't pay more than 6 to 8 hundred, IF I wanted to buy it. It could be a refi n. So more like six hundred ish for me. It's been butchered. I got an offer for my 79 strat, 3tsb hardtail, a 3K. I bought it 2 years ago from the same guy who made me the offer, for 1800 bucks. All original, with original case. He's thinking he could sell it for close to 4k quickly. But I'm never selling it. The body is a slab of figured ash.

CB91710, Stratbats and Cerb like this.
  9. 3bolt79

As far as I know the only nitro 70's strats is the face of the headstock. The poly had a bad reaction with the decals under the clear. It's the only part of my guitar that the finish has cracked on. The rest of it is polyester I believe, and thick.

Miotch and garyhoos1 like this.
  10. 3bolt79

I May be wrong, but I don't think that 74 strat had flat pole pieces. I think it was later like 77 or so.so the pickups may not be original.

11. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

That was my first thought too, but I looked it up. It was 1974 according to Fender, the change to non-staggered.

In my experience four bolt neck plate, staggered pole piece early 70s strats have a 50% premium on three bolt non-staggered examples.

miveli and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. 3bolt79

I think you are right. The staggered ones come at a premium. I think they did the four bolt ones up to 71, at least I think I read that, maybe on this forum. I would love to find one of those in excellent condition. It could wind up costing a lot though. I have no connection really to 60’s or 50’s strats. If I want a 50’s V neck, I’ll get an Eric Johnson. They are inexpensive enough. But the 70’s are my earliest years of my life. So I am still looking for a 77. I think back to 79 when I was 10 years old and first wanted an electric guitar. I saw John Oates on TV with his strat and I thought it was the coolest thing.

Bazz Jass and Cerb like this.
  13. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

This is what the finish on my -77 does when I sweat on it. See the white areas?

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. space

space Strat-Talker

Im OK with that :thumb:

15. space

space Strat-Talker

My 79 has weather checking and ghosting

Cerb likes this.
  16. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

Worthless to me too. It's just an enormous shame that such an eventually very good guitar has been modded that horrible way.

Stratbats and miveli like this.
  17. Mudman

Mudman Strat-Talk Member

I think it looks cool and I’d rock it for the right price.

18. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That's another thing about this one... for as rough as the back of the body is, the headstock looks too clean.
    The decal and everything look legit, I'm not saying that it's an MiM Classic 70s neck... I don't know how easy it would be to remove the "M" series serial number from the back of the HS.

19. helsinkirocks

helsinkirocks Strat-Talker

Really? When I think of Floyds the first thing that pops to my mind is..
    [​IMG]

20. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

According to Mark Kendrick (former custom shop master builder), all Fender guitars produced after 1968 and before 1986 had a polyester undercoat with a lacquer topcoat.

Different serial on neck plate? When the serial no. moved to the headstock in '76 the neck plate had none. Regarding the finish, you can always do the acetone test.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.