1975 strat yes or no?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by runningonempty, Jun 19, 2021.

1. runningonempty

runningonempty Strat-Talker

local music store has this for $4900 USD but they’ll take my performer on trade $1100 so $3800 out the door. serial # 656307.

it sounds insane but it’s definitely used and has blemishes the photos don’t show. salesman got evasive when i asked about provenance paperwork.

https://artofguitar.me/collections/...cts/fender-stratocaster-hardtail-vintage-1975

ideas? i know 0 about vintage strats all i know is angels sang when i plugged it in.

edit: i’m in dubai so it’s a local store for me

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I'm sure you'll get all the "70s strat yea or nay" debate we've been having so frequently on here lately. Personally I would never pay that price for a mid-70s strat, and if I liked the 70s vibe I'd rather pay 4 times less for a reissue. But that's me, and where my thinking about vintage guitars got me.

Even those favorable to buying 70s strats will probably tell you that:
    - It's one helluva high price (I see them going on reverb for 2-3K?)
    - With 70s strats "try before you buy" is an absolute MUST (and I second this advice, having had several 70s Fenders in hand… QC, weight, etc were all over the place). Especially with an "evasive" salesman

runningonempty and Cerb like this.
  3. runningonempty

i played it. it sounded insane. like no other strat i’ve ever played. they had a 73 and a 76 also but they didn’t bring the same tone.

but i’m a bit suspicious of a store in the middle east full of “collector rare guitars” …. like where are they getting them? salesman was evasive about that also.

i don’t NEED this guitar and i guess i’m using this event as a way to educate myself on what i just experienced since as of now it’s way beyond my knowledge.

4. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I like 70's strats, my 1977 is the best guitar I've played, but even I think that $4900 is steep. Heck, I paid $850 for mine four years ago.

Tryvbefore buy is a must but you've already done that, and you liked it. That's good. You have the cash and you want it so yeah, why not?

jrbirdman likes this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Two things strike me as off if I look closer.

By 1975 the pole pieces should be flat and not staggered. There should also be a date stamp on the neck heel, sometimes faint, but it should be there.

I'd want a peek under the hood before shelling out that kind of cash.

6. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

The ad says the guitar is in Dubai .... that's some local music store if you're in the US. Why is it at your local store if it's on consignment in Dubai?

Beautiful looking strat but way too much money for a hardtail with the flat pole pups even supposing it is all original and plays great.

Of course having said that love is blind and deaf so sometimes the heart just wants what the heart wants. Often times though love can also turn out to be just a fleeting thing....

7. runningonempty

i am in dubai.

i’m playing my performer now and i’m thinking i should just change the pups and keep it - not really a yosemite fan i guess - i bought it new, it’s the guitar that pulled me out of an emotional hole and really got me playing and the thing is freaking mint as i’ve taken care of it since day 1. thinking i should focus on it instead of trading it off for some sketchy guitar.

8. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

That makes sense then ... both locale and decision.

runningonempty likes this.
  9. runningonempty

Attached Files:

10. hamerfan

hamerfan Strat-Talker

I had a 1976 and my friend a 1977. Mine was a dud and sounded quite dull and lifeless. My friends is still a fabulous, full and deep sounding. Both were those plain jane 3tone sunbursts.
    I see a hardtail, which are rarer and a see thru blonde, which is rare too. i guess you pay an upcharge of 2000 bucks for rarity.

11. runningonempty

arrghhhh id decided against it but now you got me thinking about it again xp

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

$4000 overpriced.

Ebidis, Stratafied, Slyy and 2 others like this.
  13. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

You didn't hear angels, those were figments.

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I'd consider extremely well this aspect before shelling out this kind of money. AFAIK Fender transitioned to flat pole pieces in 1974. An all-original 75 should have flat pole, period. Also: 70s strat pickups were swapped out frequently.

I believe you when you say it sounds "insane", but do consider the possibility that that insane sound is the product of aftermarket pickups, possibly quite modern. Which is perfect: only don't go paying inflated vintage prices for it!

I also respectfully submit that you're locking yourself in "vintage confirmation bias" with phrases such as "insane, like no modern strat". How would you know? I've played quite a few vintage strats, and even more modern production strats, vintage reissue or not. I am a total sucker for vintage flavor and appointments in strats and teles, and in my limited experience well-made reissues have consistently been in the same league as 10'000-30'000$ museum pieces (the most notable being a '54 Esquire, a rather horrendously refretted but otherwise beautiful '62 Tele, and a pristine '57 sunburst Strat I rather extensively tried in a shop once).

15. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

If it has a unique sound you like it is certainly worth considering.

16. runningonempty

points well taken. and i edited that post you’re referring to so i sound less ignorant lol

PeteGeordie and RadioFM74 like this.
  17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

Often the pristine 70’s strats are so nice cause they were dogs.

That is a beautiful hardtail tho if it sounds great and the neck is stable stays in tune could be a winner.

Price seems high but I don’t know your market. Weight is not in boat anchor range as some are. My 76 hardtail is a magnificent instrument.

Flat pole pieces would be the norm but CBS era if a box of older stagger pole pups was found could they have made it into production?

If you’re gonna gig it the weight, sound and tuning stability are key.

pics look fabulous

RadioFM74 and runningonempty like this.
  18. runningonempty

guitar market in this country is actually trash which is why i couldn’t understand where this shop full of all these ”rare/vintage/collector” guitars came from. salesman told me they’ve only been open 6mos.

the guitar itself was really amazing tho. i played a bunch of them in that store and this one smacked me in the face when i plugged it in.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  19. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

Cerb likes this.
  20. runningonempty

wonder what they are. i’d try them in my performer

Cerb and RadioFM74 like this.