1979 anniversary Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarike, Nov 15, 2020.

1. guitarike

guitarike New Member!

56781EC9-E094-43F6-8100-52A34E276202.png Hi. Looking at some 1979 25th anniversary Stratocasters and was wondering what one in good original would usually bring today. Also anything else about the guitar or what to look for would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Jerseystratfiend likes this.
  2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Too broad a question. Fender's offering of anniversary guitars is complicated. For instance, there is an anniversary model for the start up the company. There are anniversary models for the 50th anniversary of the Stratocaster. And, the 60th anniversary of the Stratocaster. Here, I name just a few.

If you present some specific models and perhaps pics of what your interested, we can better help.

3. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

I’ve always wanted one since i saw one in a guitar book I had when I was young. They look cool. I was tempted by one in a vintage shop when over in Paris earlier this year.
    The ones I’ve seen have been around 2-2.5k I think.

4. guitarike

guitarike New Member!

Sorry for my vagueness. I’m talking about the 1979 25th anniversary Stratocaster in Porsche silver.

Groovey and Jigawatt like this.
  5. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

I’m assuming he means the silver/gold one with Anniversary written on the top horn.

6. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Ooh, sounds nice. I need to look this up. I couldn't see the forrest as the trees were in the way. I see you mentioned 1979. I didn't understand.

7. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Silver Member

I was looking at these a few years ago, the 1979 anniversary Strat. Value wise - all over the place. Poor shape $1250. +/- & $3K for mint. They run around 9lbs. Weight +/-. I finally decided against buying one, price verses weight & decided $ for $ - for me. I decided on Fullerton AVRI instead. well whatever you decide, good luck!

8. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I had one new.
    Hated it. The neck felt stiff, pickups were mushy, low output.
    I knew that I couldn't "fix" it without harming the value, and at 16, I couldn't afford two Strats. The shop that I got it from, which was an even trade for my '78 Antigua, agreed to trade back.
    I do wish I still had it... and if I did, it would indeed be in mint condition because it would still be virtually unplayed.

Value? The current market is all over the place. People are trying to cash in on people being stuck at home, with more disposable income because they aren't going out for meals and to clubs, so some asking prices are insane.
    On the flip side, there are a lot of people not working/performing right now, some are pricing including their sentimental value, and others are pricing for quick sale to make their next house payment :(

I think $2k is a good ballpark for one in good condition... which is right about where most late-70s Strats were running a year ago.

But be careful.
    If it seems to be in "too good" condition for a guitar that is supposed to be 40 years old, it may be. Fenders are not difficult to fake.

train likes this.
  9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

That is the one in the OP's picture. I had one when they were new. It was not very impressive. The silver paint had chipping problems right from the start, and the body contours were extremely shallow. Pickups were probably stock for the period.

10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

11. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Take your time and you can find a good one. The sound is classic but at the same time unremarkable. I removed and stored my loaded pickguard and replaced it with one of the Gilmour types.

As said they can be boat anchors. This heavy weight was actually a plus in 1979, but there are some lighter ones out there. Mine is about 8lbs I seem to remember.

I bought the one pictured a few years back. It had been played to death. Frets were paper thin and it had years of DNA and smoke stains on it. I got a pretty good deal at about $1700 if I recall. I did the refret and the cleaning my self and it is a keeper.

In fact from the group photo below, the only two I have left are the 1979 Anni and the 54 thinskin. DSC_0298.jpg image1-1a.jpg IMG_1109.jpg IMG_1110.jpg

12. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

Nice! I still want one.
    Anyone know what the late 70’s weight thing is about? Was wood heavier then??? I had a 78 mustang and considering it’s size it weighed a ton!

Justin226 likes this.
  13. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

The 2001 reissue I have is pretty heavy, and I attribute it to the ash body.

14. Justin226

Justin226 Strat-Talker

Your post also reminds me of one of my favorite back to the future lines.

Marty keeps using “heavy” as slang. Doc overhears him and goes “Why are things so heavy in the future...is there something wrong with the earths gravitational pull?!?”

macoshark, CB91710 and Jigawatt like this.
  15. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

haha!

16. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

I don't know if it was an official thing but I remember that the talk in music stores and among friend was that Les Paul's got their tone and sustain from (partially) their weight/wood density. Remember there were some really heavy Les Paul's in the 70s. I think (my opinion) that Fender was trying to jump on that train. They used a specific variety of ash for the bodies, there are certainly varieties that weigh less per board foot.