Join Strat-Talk Today

1979 Strat Neck? Authentic?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by DJGranite, Mar 17, 2016.

1. DJGranite

DJGranite Strat-O-Master

ahhhhh.
    I too, find that sarcasm sometimes misses it's mark. :)

2. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Impressing you will never be on my to-do list. But for what it's worth, I meant the 1966 Jazzmaster in my user photo.

3. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson Strat-O-Master

Edit: removed my troll-tastic response. I think we've crapped on this thread enough.

DJGranite and tealsixtysix like this.
  4. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

That's my favorite kind of strat neck. "Very slim", yep, but it's not like it's an Ibanez Wizard. Love thin strat necks, heavy 7.25 radius, and small frets. To me that's what gives a strat it's identity. Vintage!

5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I thought it went the other way - the string clamp was optional in 1983 and standard for part of 1984.

S9 decals were used all the way through 1981 on the big headstock models - the "Smith Strats" got the E2 decals. Then there were a few big headstock necks made in the fall of 1982 that did get the E2 decals - I suspect those necks were made for sustomer warranty or dealer rework purposes.

The neck is legit - with the damage/mods as stated. It could be from any time in that range; the only way to accurately date these necks is to check the stamps on the neck heel.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  6. DJGranite

DJGranite Strat-O-Master

I appreciate everyone's input.
    General consensus is that looks genuine, that's good.
    I felt like it was but never having owned one the more eyes the better as I said.
    I'm going to check it out in person tomorrow it looks like, so at least I am a little confident that what I am looking at is real.
    Of course in person really tells the story, right?
    If we can come to an agreement on the price and I do get it, I'll post a NDG with a few more pics.
    Thanks to all who chimed in.

7. Davey77

Davey77 Strat-O-Master

There is no space between the S and the 7 on my Strat and a tad extra between the 7 and the rest of the serial number. Never noticed it was different on other years.

8. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Could be. I know that looking at Elites offered for sale in recent times, it's the earlier ones that have the holes on the headstock. (Very few actually have the clamp attached now, though often it'll be included in the case.)

9. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes from the research I have done
    S90XXXX=1978ish
    S91XXXX=1979ish
    S92XXXX1979ish
    S93XXXX1979ish
    S94XXXX1980ish
    S95XXXX1980 I owned a neck with this serial number start and it was a 1980
    S96XXXX1980ish
    S97XXXX1980/1981ish
    S98XXXX1981ish
    S99XXXX1981ish
    E2XXXXXX1982

tealsixtysix likes this.
  10. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Here's the headstock of my 1980 Strat, doesn't have the gap between the S and 9.

80strathead.jpg

11. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I think it might depend on where you lived - it seems like some dealers ordered them with the string clamp from the factory from day one, others did not. I was still living in Louisville at that time; none of the 3 local dealers would typically order them with the string clamp. I remember that 1 of the 3 became a Fender dealer in mid-1983; they got in the entire 1983 line, and only 1 of the 5 Elite Strats had the string clamp. By the end of 1984 all the new arrivals had it, including a couple of 2-knob standards.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.