1980-1983 Fender Strat

Antonio77

Strat-Talker
Jan 19, 2014
Italy
Hello, I have seen some models of The Strat (built from 1980-1983), but I have found on these guitars two kind of neck plates: one with only the "F" engraving, the other with "Fender".
Does anyone know which is the original neck plate of this guitar... Maybe they have been used both?
Thank you!

The Strat.jpg hzbgxk3wfxjxsnawtbuw.jpg

Attachments

• ncu6l6obhocr0tejcwu8.jpg
    ncu6l6obhocr0tejcwu8.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 69

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Interesting - I've never seen that neck plate with the small "Fender" logo before. All of the "STRAT" models I've ever seen (either in person or in photos online) had the large "F" logo on the neck plate.

I wonder if that plate with the small "Fender" logo was an aftermarket Fender part - maybe part of a gold hardware parts kit?

Guy Named Sue

Censored
Feb 11, 2015
Terra Incognita
Elites had neck plates like these
fnckmv2nj6lssqulitc8.jpg

kevin54

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 16, 2014
Dorset, England
I have seen photos online of the 'STRAT' with the Fender logo on the backplate with USA next to it. Perhaps they were stamped with both types of the logo. May be worth contacting Fender to get a definitive answer.

stratman323

Dr. Stratster
Apr 21, 2010
London, UK
I have seen photos online of the 'STRAT' with the Fender logo on the backplate with USA next to it. Perhaps they were stamped with both types of the logo. May be worth contacting Fender to get a definitive answer.

Fender's records before about 1993 are somewhat minimal, so don't expect much from them.

Fat Strat Rat

Iron Maiden fanboy
Sep 26, 2015
Denmark
Hello, I have seen some models of The Strat (built from 1980-1983), but I have found on these guitars two kind of neck plates: one with only the "F" engraving, the other with "Fender".
Does anyone know which is the original neck plate of this guitar... Maybe they have been used both?
Thank you!

The neck plate that says "Fender" is from a 1980-1981 "STRAT", and the one that says "F" is from a 1982-1983 "STRAT"

There are some exceptions, but here is the general rule:

1980-1981:
-------------------------------
Serial number: E02XXXX
"LEAD II" style head stock
Chrome tuners
Silver logo
Very heavy Guitar
70's contour body
Neck plate "Fender"
Some Nitro, some Poly
Color: LPB, CAR

1982-1983:
--------------------------------
Serial number: G02XXXX
"Early Reissue/Dan Smith Strat" style head stock
Gold tuners
Gold logo
Normal weight (like AM standard, Reissue)
Fullerton curve, deep contour body. (like the early reissues)
Neck plate "F"
Only Poly
Color: LPB, CAR, OW, Stratoburst, Sapphire Blue

The head stock shape varies on the 1982/83 "Strat". Some has got the "LEAD" style, Some the "Early Reissue" style..

Best Regards

Last edited:

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
The neck plate that says "Fender" is from a 1980-1981 "STRAT", and the one that says "F" is from a 1982-1983 "STRAT"

There are some exceptions, but here is the general rule:

1980-1981:
-------------------------------
Serial number: E02XXXX
"LEAD II" style head stock
Chrome tuners
Silver logo
Very heavy Guitar
70's contour body
Neck plate "Fender"
Some Nitro, some Poly
Color: LPB, CAR

1982-1983:
--------------------------------
Serial number: G02XXXX
"Early Reissue/Dan Smith Strat" style head stock
Gold tuners
Gold logo
Normal weight (like AM standard, Reissue)
Fullerton curve, deep contour body. (like the early reissues)
Neck plate "F"
Only Poly
Color: LPB, CAR, OW, Stratoburst, Sapphire Blue

The head stock shape varies on the 1982/83 "Strat". Some has got the "LEAD" style, Some the "Early Reissue" style..

Best Regards

Great info - you know I do remember picking a couple of these up at the local Fender decal circa 1980/81, but I swear I didn't remember the "Fender" logo neck plate. I guess all the ones I've seen in the used market over the past 15 years have been the later ones with the "F" plate.

I also didn't know that the "STRAT" went to the Dan Smith-style headstock in '82; I thought they all had the Lead-style headstock.

Fat Strat Rat

Iron Maiden fanboy
Sep 26, 2015
Denmark
Great info - you know I do remember picking a couple of these up at the local Fender decal circa 1980/81, but I swear I didn't remember the "Fender" logo neck plate. I guess all the ones I've seen in the used market over the past 15 years have been the later ones with the "F" plate.

I also didn't know that the "STRAT" went to the Dan Smith-style headstock in '82; I thought they all had the Lead-style headstock.

Thanks.

"The STRAT" 1980-81
images

"The STRAT" 1982-83
images

1983 "Dan Smith"
images

1982-84 "Reissue"
82v%20headstock%20neck.jpg

Last edited:

Antonio77

Strat-Talker
Jan 19, 2014
Italy
Thanks.

"The STRAT" 1980-81
"The STRAT" 1982-83
1983 "Dan Smith"
1982-84 "Reissue"

Hello Fat Strat Rat, do you know how long Fender used the Smith headstock on the Stratocasters (I refer in particular to the Vintage Series and to the American Standard)?

Fat Strat Rat

Iron Maiden fanboy
Sep 26, 2015
Denmark
Hello Fat Strat Rat, do you know how long Fender used the Smith headstock on the Stratocasters (I refer in particular to the Vintage Series and to the American Standard)?

Hi Antonio77

That particular head stock shape was only used between 1982-84, on Dan Smith Strats, Vintage reissues and some of the "STRAT"'s.

Maybe some of the 1985-1986 Vintage reissues used some left over fullerton parts, and it is possible that some of these Guitars comes with that head stock shape.

Last edited:

blueworm

Senior Stratmaster
May 6, 2012
Germany
Hi Antonio77

That particular head stock shape was only used between 1982-84, on Dan Smith Strats, Vintage reissues and some of the "STRAT"'s.

Maybe some of the 1985-1986 Vintage reissues used some left over fullerton parts, and it is possible that some of these Guitars comes with that head stock shape.
The headstock on the old reissue series was much closer to vintage specs than that of the 'The Strat'. Still it was a bit off - see the pic below with A and B being the difference in curve compared to more vintage correct specs. I call it the 'pregnant' headstock :D because of 'B' ...

10127s.jpg

That design on reissues headstock actually was discontinued in 1998 when the series was revamped by Mark Lewis (the 12th marker fret dot was changed too at that time, as well as the 57/62 pick-ups)

Fat Strat Rat

Iron Maiden fanboy
Sep 26, 2015
Denmark
The headstock on the old reissue series was much closer to vintage specs than that of the 'The Strat'. Still it was a bit off - see the pic below with A and B being the difference in curve compared to more vintage correct specs. I call it the 'pregnant' headstock :D because of 'B' ...

10127s.jpg

That design on reissues headstock actually was discontinued in 1998 when the series was revamped by Mark Lewis (the 12th marker fret dot was changed too at that time, as well as the 57/62 pick-ups)

Are you sure this head stock is from a 1982-1984 fullerton reissue??? Looks like a Corona reissue...

Antonio77

Strat-Talker
Jan 19, 2014
Italy
Thank you both! And what do you know about the first series of the American Standard headstock? Some early models seem to have a Strat like, elongated headstock. A friend of mine told me that the correct headstock in the vintage series and in the American Standard series appear in 1998, when Fender made the Time machine Seriers too.

Latest posts