1982 62 reissue value

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Apr 8, 2021 at 3:28 PM.

1. golfnut

golfnut Strat-Talk Member

A guy on the Canadian guitar forum is selling a Fullerton 1982 62 reissue strat and he's asking $4,850 CA (approx. $3,860 US).
    Have these guitars increased in value that much. Personally I wouldn't even be interested in a guitar from that era unless very cheap. Maybe I'm out of touch with value from this era.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Depends on color, some are more rare than others and fetch more and also how clean it is. That is very much on the high side tho, even over.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I would say probably not that much either; that seems way high for one of them. But those early AVRIs were kind of the turn-around point for Fender, when they really got their act together again and are sought after guitars due to some unique features - plus some famous people like David Gilmour prefer these early Fullerton-made AVRIs. Other 1982 models were pretty well made, like the "Smith" Strats (the 1982 Standard Strats) and also have gone up in price.

3bolt79, CB91710 and StummerJoe like this.
  4. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

I actually just looked at the one the OP is referring too. I love it but I also love relics and that one is far from mint and original condition. Lots of “upgraded” parts. If he can get that for it, it makes me want to list my Fullerton 57 heavy worn humbucker route body for $2k!!!

3bolt79 and StummerJoe like this.
  5. golfnut

It looks like a heavy relic. The finish is near wore off the back. So not real clean. It looks like it lived harder than some 50's\60's vintage guitars I've seen.

3bolt79 and Guy Named Sue like this.
  6. golfnut

For 5K Canadian I could get a fantastic custom shop strat.

7. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Lol. Untouched or modded?

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. golfnut

Refret with stainless steel, Trem block, trem arm, saddles, trem springs = Callaham Gold bridge plate, Pickups "Pickup WIzard"

9. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3bolt79, CB91710 and mikej89 like this.
  10. golfnut

I'm actually in the market for another strat so this is why I saw this. I was going to go to another town about an hour from me to check out a 57 AVRI hotrod but my province just put in place a stay at home order yesterday so not going anywhere. My plan was to wait a few months (July) till I had the money saved for a nice custom shop 54 or 55. But I would like to check out the 57 AVRI hotrod. The original pickups of that model didn't interest me but the one I'm talking about has the Fender Original 57/62, which might be more suitable for what I'm looking for. Not sure if the soft V will be chunky enough for me. I like a big chunky U like I have on a custom shop 52 tele. Having said that though I have a Brad Paisley silver sparkle tele with a soft v that isn't overly chunky that I really like so the strat soft v might work.

11. golfnut

To add the natural aging, to me does not look good. Its like chunks of the finish are missing in spots. Its being marketed as a nice natural age rather than a manufactured relic. Even though I'm not a fan of heavy relics (my favorite is journeyman) I think the Fender heavy relics look better. And maybe I've just gotten used to fake wear. Also the Logo is pretty beat up. It says "Fender Strato".

12. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Im intrigued, got any pictures?

13. golfnut

14. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

You know what, I can tell this was one of the early ones where they had to hand route the bodies a little bit because they came out a little too snug. That's truly a shame

I don't think a dog would've managed to mark his territory more horrendously than this guy has done with this guitar.

What the hell is that bs on the neck plate?

CB91710 likes this.
  15. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Wonder why he changed the pups and bridge... The stock pups on those are extremely desirable and fetch more $$$ than a new boutique set.

Price seems high considering the "upgrades" and condition. The 1982-1984 Fullerton's were crafted by people who are currently Custom Shop Master Builders routinely asking 5-10k for their creations, so keep that in mind as far as the quality. They're easily the best value out there right now; closest you can get to a mellowed out pre-CBS for 1/3 the price of a refin.

16. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

This is my Fullerton 57(body only)with natural wear. I bought it this way and from the front it doesn’t look too bad. It also has router pin plugs. 9660C8C3-DD9A-4769-B10C-706402786514.jpeg 59727486-780D-4EAE-B9F4-CCD786E98294.jpeg EB996DEB-16C1-43FC-871B-D402242B07C5.jpeg B13BC238-4503-4370-9A0C-0F80C5A6B879.jpeg 3C2E9742-2664-410C-9E77-7F19887FE1DA.jpeg

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  17. BradL

BradL Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

^^
    That is sexy!

18. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

I paid $150CAD for the body locally. It was posted and within seconds I messaged him(left sick from work) and was on my way to grab it. It has a horrible humbucker route but damn seeing these guys asking insane amounts for their Fullerton partscasters and beat to snot modified real ones, made me feel better about the humbucker route.

19. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

The bridge was the (or "a") previous owner's attempt at making it an SRV "#1"
    SRV used a left-handed bridge in gold.

Honestly, on this one, because of the wood that has been gutted to install the new bridge, I'd simply give it a pass.
    He's asking more than $4k, and IMHO, it's not worth 1/4 that.
    Even in good condition I would not value an '82 AVRI above $2k.

Bladesg, Guy Named Sue and Intune like this.
  20. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I’d definitely pass too at that price!