Join Strat-Talk Today

1986 Stratocaster '62 reissue question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by brianb88, Aug 11, 2019.

1. brianb88

brianb88 Strat-Talk Member

I am in the market for a Stratocaster '62 reissue and have recently run across what appears to be a very nice one for sale online. I've been in contact with the dealer and asked a few questions regarding dates, pics etc. He sent this one of the heel of the neck and it is different from any that I have seen online. Along with the date it has a " - 2" written in. I was wondering if any of you have seen this and what does it mean? Is it authentic? Is it a concern? Other than that the guitar seems legit.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian 62 reissue stratocaster neck date.jpg

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum! We can't say if a neck date is authentic without seeing the rest of the neck....headstock back and front and fretboard etc.....

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  3. brianb88

Thanks Guitarmageddon! Here are a couple more pics of front and back of headstock and fretboard. It has been refretted and the original nut is gone which is not a concern to me. I did notice the e string being wound on the wrong side (to me) of the tuner. I am aware of the fact that you can't precisely date these year guitars by the serial # but this one is in that year range. V012xxx. But my main question is still that date on the neck. I am not even close to an expert but I have not seen any online with the added "-2".
    62 Strat fretboard.jpg 62 Strat headstock back.jpg 62 Strat headstock.jpg

Nate D likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Okay - I think it's legit and the real deal. The 12th fret markers are the right spacing - modern post 1963 spacing which is technically incorrect for any pre-63 re-issue BUT Fender was doing this from the time they started making them, and didn't get it right until the late 90s. So that tells me your AVRI neck is for sure pre-1997 or 1998........I don't know what the 2 means, but it looks right. If you have the original electronics in the guitar, there are numbered codes on the pots - and they should correspond to that April 10, 1986 neck date - meaning they SHOULD be made in the year or so preceding that, if not just a few months before.....

Other people with more experience will chime in but that's my 2 cents.

brianb88 likes this.
  5. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

The 2 back in the days of pre CBS was the neck code for stratocaster. Ex 2Aug62B

Looking online I can see 86 necks have dates that look kind of like yours for example 16/4/86-
    But I haven't seen any with a 2 at the end only the line- after the year. But there might be some out there.

It looks legit though from what I can see.

The nut is changed though.

The volute of the neck, the place where the headstock transitions to the neck on the back is very nicely sanded and smooth and sleek. That is typical for Fullerton necks. That's a detail that soon in 87-88 would disappear

brianb88 likes this.
  6. brianb88

Thank you both for your responses. I am going to follow up with this guitar this week and if things go as planned I am going to see it in person Tuesday or Wednesday. This is one of 2 that are within a couple hours drive from where I will be working this week and I hope to play them both. One of them is in near mint condition with all the original case candy but is nearly $3k and I won't be spending that much.

7. Guitarmageddon

Nice! good luck!

8. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

String tree is in the right place too. All in all it looks legit.

brianb88 likes this.
  9. brianb88

You were correct on the dates of the pots. Here's a pic of pots and it looks like they were 35th week in '85.

62 Reissue pot serial #'s (dates).jpg

I'm starting to feel pretty good about this one. Now it's more of a curiosity about what that 2 means on the heel of the neck. I have looked around online some more and haven't seen anything else with that. Would love to find out.

10. brianb88

Well, I bought it. I've got to set it up how I like it once I get it home. It plays decent now but action is a little higher than I like and I'm going to change the nut (I'll have a question about this later). Can't wait to get it home and turn it loose a little. Then I'm going to give it a good look under the hood and go from there. Here's a pic or two.

62 Strat Fullerton curve.jpg '62 Strat reissue.jpg 1986 Fender Strat '62 Reissue.jpg

11. macoshark

macoshark Strat-Talker

Geez! That's very nice

12. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Congrats! I have your twin, albeit in less pristine condition! It has a few small scrapes and dings here and there. Well played and is my main gigging guitar. I got mine cheaply with non-original pickups. Which I quickly brought back to stock. It has that exact super thin forearm carve so unique to that era.

P4167404R2.jpg

StratNeck.jpg

P3306920R2.jpg

P4067098R2.jpg

pwhite and brianb88 like this.
  13. brianb88

That's awesome! Great looking guitar!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.