1987 strat plus

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dayman, Aug 1, 2020.

1. dayman

dayman New Member!

A shop near me is selling a 1987 strat plus for $999.00. It is black with a rosewood neck and a black pickguard. does anyone know if that pickguard is original? most of the black ones im seeing online have a nifty pearl pickguard (which i would prefer). i could always just buy one but im concerned about resale if its a collector.

Also, what are the general consensus on the strat pluses? this particular one has a very david gilmour vibe which i love...

what are the frets/necks like on the strat pluses? looking for something i can move around quickly on. thank!

[​IMG]

rafasounds likes this.
  2. Kestrel

Kestrel Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Only the Strat Plus Deluxe had pearloid pickguards and that pickguard looks original, I see that the roller nut has been changed for a LSR using the plastic LSR tray, this is a common upgrade that a lot of Strat plus owners did, including me. Change it for a pearloid and keep the original.

Michael919 and albala like this.
  3. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

No way it came with a black pg

IMO, a Plus can be is as good as anything made by Fender...they are my personal favorites

The frets are medium jumbo, fast enough

beaz, Tone Deaf and smithstrato like this.
  4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agree with all the comments - just adding that the Strat Plus came with a standard w/b/w pickguard at that time.

Tone Deaf, Tim S and albala like this.
  5. dayman

dayman New Member!

Does the price of $999 seem about right

6. albala

Are there any dents or scratches in the body?

Are the plastics and electronics original?

the change from a wilkinson to an LSR is common on players but the wilkinson is important for originality and top $$.

7. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

1000 seems fair.

8. Kestrel

And yes a fare price, in England it would be nearer £1200, looks not bad for a 87, worth asking if it still has the original roller nut, I have had 4 Plus's and still have 2 but all the Stats I put together are to Plus spec down to every detail, I just love them, one of the best Strats that Fender ever brought out.

9. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    They went with the LSR nut as stock at some point, can't remember the year.

10. Kestrel

1993 was when the LSR roller nut was first used on the strat plus, the plastic tray was given with them so that you could replace the Wilkinson nut that was used for the first 5 or 6 years.

11. effy

effy Strat-Talk Member

LSR replacement and non original pick guard. I would want to see that the pickups are original (square edged covers underneath) and pots as well. For a common color and the changes its a bit over priced IMO.

PCollen likes this.
  12. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

I absolutely love my Strat Plus. Mine is a '95.

If you haven't yet, read Xhefri's page. It can be a little overwhelming, but it has a wealth of info. He seems to be the top authority on Strat Plus.

If the nut has been changed and the pickguard is not original, then I'm not sure it would have much collector value. The case, while nice, may not be original, either. I think these came with chainsaw cases, although I can't say for sure about an '87.

13. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

There is lots of Plus love here. Do a search for Strat Plus and you will find many threads. I've had mine since 1991, except for a number of years when it left me, long story....

It looks like the low E tuner key has been replaced.

The price is OK if the frets are decent. See if the seller can explain the tuner and whether they still have the original wilkinson nut.

14. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

A 1987 would have still had the old-style rectangular case; the chainsaw-style case didn't come in until circa 1990 or 1991.

Good eye - it is a replacement tuner. I expanded the OP's photo and it looks like some kind of non-locking tuner.

15. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Its not a collectors item without the original Wilkinson split nut. And someone might be willing to pay $200 or more just for that nut alone because there just aren't any more (except maybe in Jeff Beck's stash). NOT having the original nut would decrease the value of the instrument as far as collectors go. Cosmetically, it dates the instrument to the 1993-1998 time frame. Are the Lace sensors all Gold type..can you read the printing on the pickup covers. How do you know it is a 1987 ..what is the serial number ?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  16. Kestrel

I don't think that most Strat Plus buyers are collectors, most are just after a great American strat that is iconic, most Strat Plus owners only own one so they are evidently not classed as collectors, a knowledgeable guitarist would be after one because they are one of the best strats ever made and one of Fenders best sellers and are still sought by professional musicians, I have worked on many hard worked ones that the owners obviously love. If I was in charge of Fender I would bring back the Strat Plus range with more modern upgrades. Most people would not be bothered buy a few upgrades, it is still a American Strat plus and a great one at that.

fenderkev and Michael919 like this.
  17. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

I have my original Wilkinson from my 1991 Plus just sitting in my parts bin.

It's in great shape. I "upgraded" to the LSR years ago for aesthetics and to try something different. My Plus is staying with me for life and then to my son, so I don't need the nut. I'll post it in the classified today.

18. PCollen

"Classified" ? I presume you mean on Reverb.com , Ebay, or some other sites with world-wide exposure. If you want top dollar, you need to consider international exposure,

Michael919 likes this.
  19. PCollen

I own two early 90 Strat Plus guitars, but don't consider myself a collector of them..they are just very good instruments. You can easily turn an American Standard into a psuedo-Strat Plus by adding the roller nut and locking tuners. The pickups are not that important, and ofter swapped out, as is the TBX tone control. And does anyone that uses the trem keep the Tremsetter..not me. I have the Tremsetters and TBXs in my box of "stuff" to include with the guitars if I ever would sell one. One of my Plus guitars has SCNs as an upgrade, and the other had Wilde L280's but Ive recently re-installed the Lace Sensors, but replacing the Gold bridge sensor with a Silver..the L280s are destined for another Strat I own.

Michael919 likes this.
  20. albala

[​IMG]

Michael919 likes this.