1989 Korean Squier II Strat.....

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by HardCoreMetal, Feb 26, 2010.

1. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

$200 is roughly double what they sell for around here. "Rare" has little to do with value on these (and they all were made in huge quantities so there really isn't such a thing), although white is one of the most popular colors. The MIK Squiers that are most valuable tend to be the ones with solid wood bodies instead of plywod that are closest to vintage like specs (early E-serials, Pro-Tones). The more "contemporary" ones with rear loading electronics, no-pickguard, side jacks, Floyd Rose Trems, etc., tend to sell for less.

2. onscenenow

onscenenow Strat-Talk Member

I have one just like yours HardCore, at least it used to be. I have a number of guitars including Guilds and Les Pauls. I have had the Strat for over 20 years and it has been one of the best guitars I have ever owned. It plays extremely well and the finish is still excellent. I did modify it by replacing the neck and bridge pickups with humbuckers and left the center single coil in it. The combo is awesome. I can get Skynyrd and Hendrix out of the same guitar plus the single coil works well with an acoustic simulator. If I can only take one guitar and an amp to a gig this is my go-to guitar. Since it didn't cost much I didn't feel bad about taking a router to it. I also put a block of wood under the bridge since I don't use mechanical tremelo and it really improved the tone and resonance. Stopped going out of tune when a string breaks. Sounds more like my Les Paul now.

3. Massimo

Massimo New Member!

4. Massimo

Massimo New Member!

Are you sure the wiring details are for your Black Squier II? I am missing the third pot in that diagram..

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Some of the Squier II's were rear routed guitars with only one volume and master tone....if you want regular SSS Strat wiring with 3 knobs we can provide that easily....

6. Massimo

Massimo New Member!

Yea confusing.... IMG_1825.JPG

7. Guitarmageddon

That's not confusing, that's normal Strat wiring.....

Massimo likes this.
  8. Massimo

Massimo New Member!

Yes, rear routed with three pots. I want to upgrade thee pots and I could only find the chart above.

9. Guitarmageddon

Well, your guitar doesn't even have coil split....is it HSS like this photo below? If so any STANDARD Strat wiring will work....like this...below the photo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Massimo likes this.
  10. Massimo

Massimo New Member!

Yes is the same guitar, when i looked in the cavity I saw 4 colored wires (black/red/white/blue) and thought there was a split at the H.
    Thank you, this is good information. IMG_1826.JPG

11. Massimo

Massimo New Member!

12. Guitarmageddon

It won't line up with your knobs and switch....you have to do custom wiring from scratch.....do you know how to solder well? If not I would pay someone to do it right....

13. Massimo

Massimo New Member!

Thank you, I tried to solder a few times, but I was a bit sloppy.
    I could prepare try and solder out on a workbench and then fit it in the cavity?

14. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

I bought one of the exact same guitars (rear-routed, chrome dome knobs, HSS) in black w/maple FB from GC back in ‘88 and ‘89 during one of their “green tag” sales (back when that meant something). IIRC, it was $125 and included 12 sets of Fender Bullet strings. It had a really good neck and was capable of sounding quite decent. I later gave it (along with a Peavey Rage amp) to a friend’s son, and I believe he still has it!

15. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

16. stratomatt

My take on the squier 2s is that they are thought of as kinda crappy overall, but have really nice necks. I've never owned one as a whole guitar, but I did have a squier 2 neck on a partscaster and it was indeed great. I'm sure I changed the tuners. Now, my understanding is they used plywood bodies and cheaper hardware and electronics. That said, with the great neck and a few upgrades one could become a real nice player.

17. stratomatt

If you want to sell it, take off the neck and sell it and the "loaded body" separately. You will get more money and it's way easier to ship. This assumes selling on eBay.

18. Multitrak

Multitrak Strat-Talk Member

So how'd it work out ?