1990 Mexican Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jonny Paz, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Jonny Paz

Jonny Paz New Member!

I have a 1990 - 91 Mexican Strat.

I've heard that the first few years of Mexican production was notoriously poor - which is evident on my Strat.

I've gigged the guitar alot and have come to love it - the neck is fantastic! But it's getting to the stage that the original electrics, are beginning to creak. They aren't really cutting the mustard.

Is it a wise investment to replace the original ceramic pickups, wiring and to get the tremolo blocked off? What pickups would people recommended? I'm looking for some with more bite than the ceramics, but not too heavily wound as to lose the vintage style tone and top end that you expect in pickups from 1963-67.

Also, is there a way to reduce the slack in the horrifically machined neck pocket, to improve string alignment?

Cheers

2. rjohnson38

rjohnson38 New Member!

Hey man!
    So I just got a 1990 MIM Strat for a good price recently and I'm about to do some stuff to it. The neck is fantastic and while it does need a set up it already feels nice to play.

I think we are looking for something similar in pick ups...I don't want something too hot as to take away from those vintage Strat sounds but I want enough output to throw some dirt around. I've settled on Bare Knuckle Irish Tours. Check em out. I've heard nothing but great things and I emailed them describing what I was looking for and these are the ones they recommended. They have a little more output but retain that vintage-Ness as well.

I'm also putting new electronics in mine as there's some scratchiness right now. Also getting a new nut (TUSQ) as well as new locking tuners plus a pro set up by my local guy.

It's going to be a new freakin guitar and I can't wait.

3. Falconbill

Falconbill Strat-Talker

In addition to the neck pocket you described, some of those early Mexican strat bodies were heavy, due to being up to 7 pieces of wood laminated together. If I was going through the expense of changing out the guts of the guitar, I'd consider upgrading the body. Or not if the weight wasn't an issue. You could always do that later and reuse the parts. That's the beauty of Fender. BTW, I use SSL-1s in the neck and middle and an SSL-5 in the bridge on my Mexican. I like them better than the TX-Mex PUs.

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

If you are looking for a blusey/traditional sound then you might try these...I have them in my 95 MIM and they sound great. The price is great too!!!
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=201630709219