1996-97 standard stratocaster info

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Chris33, May 31, 2020.

1. Chris33

Chris33 New Member!

Hi,
    I bought this week a second hand stratocaster. It sounds good and is in good shape regarding the age.
    Of course I openend it. As I previously own strat before or beginning of 90’s I was surprised about the swimming pool route! It’s not esthetic as the contour body is not straight. Probably in the futur it will be researshed!
    So in the cavity they put conductive underlayer black paint to act to reduce hum. I also notice a grey colour, maybe an underlayer for the blonde colour. maybe someone could confirm this.
    On the neck the stamped year date looks can’t be read, it’s 19xx probably 1996 rather than 1997. On the junction area of the body/neck there is a small round sticker with a code, any idea of what is this. The code is not the same as the serial number written on the guitar neck. I noticed also several holes on this junction, it’s probably because they need to handle body during painting.
    Any info will be appreciated.
    By the way I’m more than happy to own it!

Attached Files:

2. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Hi, and welcome!
    The swimming pool route is correct for that time period, but somebody has been doing some soldering in there. My guess is the pickups were switched out to something else then swapped back to OEM to sell.

3. Kestrel

Kestrel Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks right, even the Strat Plus's and Deluxe models had swimming pool routers, the neck pocket with micro tilt and neck heal are also correct, a few extra holes in the neck pocket and the wiring and maybe the pickups are not original.

4. Chris33

Chris33 New Member!

Hi,
    I think the volume pot was changed as we clearly see those ugly soldering on the metal can of the volume. I fix it.

5. longboard blues

longboard blues Strat-O-Master

Yeah, my 94 has the same route. Someone has messed with your wiring. Mine has a TBX tons pot, too, as a factory option.

Where in France are you?

6. Chris33

Chris33 New Member!

Hi,
    I’m from Bordeaux.
    What the matter about wiring?

7. longboard blues

longboard blues Strat-O-Master

No, just that someone has changed the volume pot, as you say!

8. wrvond

It has clearly been rewired at some point, for what reason, it's difficult to tell. Does T2 (bottom tone) have any kind of detente in it? If it is a TBX circuit, the T2 will have a detente at '5', or the middle of the sweep. I'm suspecting that the entire pick guard was swapped out for a newer American Series style with the Delta Tone circuit - T2 has a detente at '10'.
    In fact, the bridge pickup appears to be missing the two screws in the bobbin. The wiring is correct, but it has definitely been taken apart. I really think the previous owner had more expensive pickups installed at some point then swapped back to the standard pickups prior to selling the guitar.

9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

The Delta Tone came in at some point in late 1996/early 1997. For some reason Fender has it happening in 1999 on their paperwork, but it was earlier. With what appears to be a June 1996 neck date I think that should be before the change - so it should have still had the TBX tone pot. Plus didn't the Delta Tone bridge pickup had a yellow wire on it?

wrvond likes this.
  10. Chris33

Chris33 New Member!

What is exactly a detent?
    About the bridge pickup, I noticed that after viewing the stratocaster Standard manual (from fender website). All 3 pikups have the same number on it 016730. The bridge pickup got white/black instead of of white/yellow.
    About screening, the conductive tape , from the american standard pickguard assembly, should be present on a wide area than it is actually?

11. wrvond

Just so you know, a detente would also be called a click stop. When turning the knob, you’d feel it click.
    That number is merely the casting number of the plastic bobbin used to make the pickup.
    Ok, I dug out an original 1996 American Standard loaded pick guard and have to correct my earlier statements.
    First, here’s a picture:
    image.jpg

1. Tone pot T2 is a plain audio taper 250k ohm pot.
    2. The bridge pickup does not have the screws in the bobbin like the later American Series have.
    3. The volume and two tone pots are all the same.
    4. The pick guard should be fully shielded.

12. wrvond

I’m pretty sure this set of pups came out of my 2001 American Series. They were wired with the black wires to ground and the colored wires to the five way switch. But to your point - yes, the bridge has a yellow lead and the two screws in the bobbin.
    image.jpg

13. Chris33

Chris33 New Member!

Ok except shielding, pickups set Up can be coherent.
    I forgot to mention that the pickguard(3layers) is not white but rather mint (it looks a little green). Could it be a matching with the vintage white finish?

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  14. Chris33

Chris33 New Member!

So you have the deltatone.

15. wrvond

I thought it looked like mint. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the three ply mint guard did not come on any production Fender American Standard or American Series.
    But I think it looks better than the white or parchment guards that did come standard. My American Standard came with a white pick guard which has aged to a tan color.
    The American Standard in the first photo does not have TBX or Delta Tone. It is just a plain audio taper tone pot.
    I'm pretty sure the TBX tone circuit only came on the American Standard Deluxe, the Plus, the Plus Deluxe, and the Ultra.

I have a few with TBX and a few with Delta Tone. I personally prefer the Delta Tone circuit.
    My second photo doesn't show both tone pots, but they are wired with the Grease Bucket tone circuit.