1996 MIK Pro Tone Strat or MIJ Squier Bullet??

california2020

Strat-Talker
Jun 29, 2020
Italy
Hello!
I am torn between these two models:
- 1996 MIK Pro Tone Strat, in a very good shape (400 €)
6383742_1573993353.jpg

- 1984 MIJ Squier Bullet, seems to be in a good shape (420 €)
5899218_1544006039.jpg

They are probably quite strange instruments, but I would love to have your opinion about them.
How are they regarding quality? Would you reccomend those guitars, or one of them, or not?
Does anyone have direct experiences on these guitars?
Many thanks in advance!

ChukkerNation

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
Magrathea
Pro Tone:

Stock alnico pickups
Northern ash body
Full size trem block with Fender stamped saddles

Bullet

Basswood body
funky pickguard with plug in jack in pickguard
ceramic pickups, (though very nice sounding ones)
Nice neck

I've owned both. If it were me, I would go Pro Tone. The best thing about the MIJ Bullets are that they are MIJ and that has some intrinsic value to some people but Strat for Strat, the Pro Tone is the much better guitar.

california2020

Strat-Talker
Jun 29, 2020
Italy
Pro Tone:

Stock alnico pickups
Northern ash body
Full size trem block with Fender stamped saddles

Bullet

Basswood body
funky pickguard with plug in jack in pickguard
ceramic pickups, (though very nice sounding ones)
Nice neck

I've owned both. If it were me, I would go Pro Tone. The best thing about the MIJ Bullets are that they are MIJ and that has some intrinsic value to some people but Strat for Strat, the Pro Tone is the much better guitar.
thanks, very clear. Is the seller request (400 €, more or less 400$ i suppose) a right price for a pro tone in your opinion?

ChukkerNation

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
Magrathea
thanks, very clear. Is the seller request (400 €, more or less 400$ i suppose) a right price for a pro tone in your opinion?

In the U.S. yes. I sold that same model on Reverb a couple of weeks ago for about $300.00 but it seems pretty rare for Europeans to get guitars at the same going rate as what we get them for in the U.S. My guess is that, if it's a high price, it's not too high of a price.

AxemanVR

I appreciate, therefore I am...
Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
`
To me, TONE is the only consideration.

If they both sound great then I'd tend to agree that the Pro Tone is the way to go, but if neither sounds great, then it doesn't really matter, does it? ...they're both equally worthless.

On the other hand, if the Bullet sounds better, I still wouldn't pay that much for one myself - UNLESS - it sounds OVER THE TOP AMAZING!!!!

`

Last edited: