1st fret buzz on a new Am Pro II

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Matopotato, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Matopotato

Matopotato Strat-Talk Member

I got an American Pro II in December-20 and all is well. I had some minor adjustments in the shop I got it from.
    Recently I noticed a slight but obvious fret buzz on the first fret. Low e string most evident, but b and g also have it to a lesser extent.
    I took it in again and they tried with string tree adjustments, and adjusting saddle height.
    Neck looks fine, not flat but an ever so slight arc that looks OK. Strings 11-49 and it was adjusted for that originally. And they are new strings. (Buzz on the ones before the change as well) The fret itself seems snug enough.
    Can't see anything wrong with the nut either. Tried to compare pictures online with it and I trust the shop to have noticed if something was wrong there.
    I am not super keen on messing with the truss rod, but perhaps that is the only thing that remains?
    Shaving the fret is possibly even more "no-way-back" kind of assault, so that is also more on the not-now-but-if-desperate-list.

fos1 and Scott Baxendale like this.
  2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

It's going to be one of two things.

1: the nut slots are too deep

2: there is not enough relief in the neck (truss rod is too tight)

I would suggest addressing these two issues before doing anything as drastic as shaving the fret.

If you shave the first fret lower, you will most likely find that the second fret will then be too high. Shave that one down then the third fret is too high, etc.

I would suggest starting by turning the truss rod 1/8 turn counterclockwise, and see what it's like then.

3. Matopotato

Thanks!
    As seen from head? Or maybe it is very audible

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Yes, when you look down from the headstock and tuners and truss rod hole toward the body of the guitar....1/8 turn to the LEFT...counterclockwise as stated....

T-Rey, fos1, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Yes, as seen from the head. :thumb:

3bolt79 and Matopotato like this.
  6. Matopotato

I am a bit surprised the shop did not suggest to tweak the rod... Will try, thanks for the suggestions

7. Matopotato

I should wait a day or so after rod adjust to let it settle in, right?
    Is 1/8 much as in I should make a new intonation?

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

In my experience: Yes, and no (but check the tuning at the 12th fret tomorrow just to be sure). I find that strats - perhaps because of the floating bridge - are just a little more fiddly than, say a telecaster, and sometimes do require just a slight tweak of the truss rod once or twice a year to get everything singing in harmony.

Matopotato likes this.
  9. Matopotato

Thanks. Just did 1/8. Kind of stuck at first. Will let it sit for a day.
    I notice the buzz is most pronounced when i strum w thumb down. And least with finger up. (G lying flat but I hope you get my idea) I would have thought the direction wouldn't matter.

10. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

If it is buzzing on the first fret then the nut is too low or their is too much tension on the rod. If it is a slight buzz the try loosening the rod a 1/4 turn to see if it helps. If not? Then the nut slot is too low and you need a new nut.

11. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

Nut slots are two low. 100%.
    To test this out, put a small piece of paper under the string in the nut slot and then tune up and play(this is how I diagnose low nuts as it effectively raises the string). I bet the buzz is gone. Simple, free problem solving. Try it out and let us know.

12. Matopotato

Thanks. Did 1/8 yesterday and will wait it out. Another 1/8 if not resolved. Then try the paper.
    I would have expected the nut to be good though. Brand new, got it December. Strings 011 instead of 010.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Sorry, wrong thread

14. Scott Baxendale

It could be a high fret? But unlikely. Make sure your bridge height is correct. The rod acts instantly you don’t have to wait for it to work or settle. It seems like a nut too low. That’s not uncommon on a newish guitar if anyone ever adjusts the nut slot it’s easy to go too far.

Matopotato likes this.
  15. Matopotato

Thanks. You mean "go too far" as turning the rod too much but the fault is the nut, right?
    The buzz is quite "thin" like a touch of sitar.
    I will do another 1/8 and if no help, test with paper in slot and if that solved it, turn back rod and ask shop about nut change. They have 1 yr support included

fos1 and Scott Baxendale like this.
  16. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Try this- push down the e string behind the 3rd fret with your left hand. Tap the string at the first fret while holding at the third. Should hear a light clicking sound as the string hits the top of the first fret. If you holding the guitar sideways you might be able to see the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the first fret. If the E string is touching the first fret, it's too close or another way of saying your nut slot is cut too low allowing the string to touch when playing. You could check with a feeler gauge.

Waldo Jones and Matopotato like this.
  17. Matopotato

Thanks! Will try. Did try various fret press down e string but not yet 3rd. So far they did click although very little...
    Unfortunately I just pulled the e string (again) so will have to shop some spares first.

18. Matopotato

While waiting for new string I did it with b string. It has an ever so slight sitar sound (which makes me lean more towards the neck than the nut). And very hard to feel, but I felt there was a tiny click holding 3 tapping 1st. Then I got my multimeter out. Set to resistance/ohms and one probe on string and another on the 1st fret, and this was very clear. Press down makes contact (very low or zeroish ohms), not pressing yields high/infiniteish ohm.
    Not sure how much electric cunductivity says about audiomechanics though, but some space there is.

19. Matopotato

Thanks. As mentioned elsewhere string broke again (at the head). Tried measure electric conductivity and pressing 3rd does not make 1st touch the fret. You still think it is the nut,
    The slight "sitar" sound (=my take on fret buzz) is strongedt with e string, slight with b, twilight zone for g, and then no more.

20. Scott Baxendale

It sounds like the nut slot is cut too deep, or has a flat spot in it. It should be an easy fix for the tech at the store.

Waldo Jones and Matopotato like this.