1st fret buzz on a new Am Pro II

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Matopotato, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

Sorry, did the string break at the machine head(tuner) or the ball end of the string? Either way check for burrs at both ends.
    I didn’t know that you did the two test with the 3rd fret to check first fret air space.
    Something weird is going on. Wish I had it in my hands to diagnose.

Matopotato likes this.
  2. Matopotato

Matopotato Strat-Talk Member

Broke at the head. Both times. I blame my way of fastening it. More likely to be my fastening than burr, but will check, thanks.
    Yes, checked air space and then invented my conductivity test.

3. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

Gotta laugh a little.. Sting tree adjustment to rid the buzz? oh lol lol..
    If you have buzz when you play open string at normal force, you have nut slot problems
    If you have buzz when you fret/play chords or notes you have a fret or relief problem.

Neck relief depends on style most times.
    Jazz players like dead flat necks. They play with light touch and low action.
    Regular setup for regular play should have a little relief. When you aim down the neck you should not even see it even.
    High relief is not needed even on high action. I would say if you can see the relief bowing forward on aiming your eyes down the neck, it indicates you have too high relief.
    If you require high relief to get rid of the buzz, your fret level is not good and needs to be levelled.

But as years go by, frets gets worn and the wood has shifted and moved, more relief is the quick fix for any buzz that appears over time. Seen it so many times when we got guitars in for service when i worked in a guitar shop. But yours is brand new so..

Matopotato likes this.
  4. Matopotato

I think the rationale to skip the tree was to change the angle through the nut to see if that made any difference. Which it did but not very much, and not enough.
    The heads are of decreasing height so the tree is not really the much needed either.
    Don't remember if 009 or 010 is default. I had them put on 011. Would that effect/cause nut issues?
    They put on one more spring in and adjusted the rod when putting on 011.
    I might still try another 1/8 just to be able to rule that out.
    Nut issues are my least wanted problems. Once tried to fix an old acoustic from hopping when tuning on my own and ended having to replace it. Now on the other I just live with it.
    Might end up there in the end anyway.

5. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

Higher string gauge actually causes less buzz.

6. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

check the relief with your eyes. hold the guitar normally while sitting and press the low e string down at the first and last fret. be gentle and do not bend the neck. then look at the space between the top of the fret and the bottom of the string at the 7th fret.

the space between the 2 should be the same size as the smallest string on your guitar which you can see when you look at the space for comparison.

if there is less space than that then loosen the rod, if there is more space than tighten the rod.

Matopotato likes this.
  7. Matopotato

Many thanks for all the suggestions so far.
    I got extra strings and "filed" down ("squeezer" in English?) any edges on the tuning peg.
    Then did another 1/8 turn on the rod counterclockwise as seen from the head looking down.
    It had an effect, but did not resolve the issue. So I am on 1/4 turn in total. I could try some more, but the responses vary between "it's the rod" and "it's the nut".
    I see no obvious alarming bend to the neck so I assume 1/4 is not very much.
    I have yet to try a feeler gauge, but I find that kind of method very hard to evaluate. Does it touch or not depends on how I hold it, but I will try to measure it. The conductivity test was clear though that the string does not touch first fret when sting is held at 3rd.

EDIT: [One observation that puzzles me a little bit is if I strum the string with index finger from down to up motion, there is almost no buzz.
    But if I strum it with thumb from up and downwards instead, it is a clear buzz (think Sitar).
    When I do this over the pickups it is audible, but over 12th less so (thought it ought to be most obvious when strumming in the middle of the string). Then if I strum at "pickup length" from the other/top end (around 5th fret. Ish) there is no real buzz.]
    => It was probably due to other factors, please ignore

Maybe it is all in my head, but thumb, over pickups on lower e-string is quite an obvious "Sitar" sound...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  8. Matopotato

Can you fix a deep cut nut without replacing the whole thing?

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  9. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Not really, but You can fill the slot with baking soda and superglue and then recut the slot, which is a temporary fix.

Matopotato likes this.
  10. Matopotato

Thanks. I think I'll take it back to the shop then. Still warranty.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

There's the answer above.

12. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

It could be your playing technique if it only does it when you do this but doesn’t do it when you do something else.
    All of mine will buzz if I do windmills and use a metal pick with a fully rigid arm attack.

Matopotato likes this.
  13. Matopotato

Yes, understood. And yes they all buzz of course when hitting any string hard enough.
    But I don’t hit it very hard. Effect most obvious on e, then less on b and almost none on g. After a total of 1/4 of truss rod ctrclockwise there is effect but not full. I fear going several turns on the rod to remove it will result in too high action. And it is really very nice before the 1/4 turn, and can't say huge difference after as far as action goes.
    Will chat with the store again. Perhaps a nut fix is needed in the end.

14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Let's not lead this fellow down the wrong rabbit hole. Some seem to think he is talking about "open" strings buzzing on the first fret, indicating a nut issue. From what I read, it seems he is having his buzz issues when "fretting" notes at the first fret. This is a very different issue!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

Matopotato likes this.
  15. Matopotato

Thanks,
    It is open string.
    Any fretted position is ok.
    B and g strings, less buzz, also open

16. Ichigosa

Ichigosa New Member!

I'm curious about whether you've made any progress diagnosing this problem? I seem to have a similar issue with a brand new Am Pro II which I revieved today.

Matopotato likes this.
  17. Matopotato

Sorry, should have reported...
    I made twice 1/8 turns. Some effect, but strings are also noticeably higher.
    Next to try is one or two 1/8 turns more, when I feel brave. But I suspect strings will get too high up and issue remain somewhat.

Talked to the shop and they will help, but more likely to build up the saddle or the string slots(?) than swap it.

The saddle seems quite "customized" and non symmetric. But this seems to be the norm.
    I went from 9s to 11-49s, but thicker guage should be less buzzing. They compensated with rod and back springs.

Before I did any rod adjustments it felt very nice with low action.
    Sorry to hear you have similar issues with a brand new one. Did you get it from a shop where they can help adjusting? Or from the net?

Besides these issues, congrats to what I feel is a great instrument. Very smooth to play imho.

18. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

After getting the neck / truss rod to the proper relief, you then have to go and re-do all of the 6 individual string heights for action, and then string length for intonation.

Matopotato likes this.
  19. Matopotato

Thanks. Redid the intonation each time, but did not lower bridge height.
    I feel there has to be some positive effect from the rod adjustment first, before lowering the bridge?

20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Not if your buzz is down low on the neck at the nut or first few frets, you have to re-lower the action height to where it was to find out.....

Matopotato likes this.