1x12 Cab VS 1x12 Combo

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
You really need to work on your sincerity.
Eh?

It feels good, doesn’t it?

(Self) righteousness is an addictive substance. It’s probably the most easily had mind-altering substance, probably even more so than caffeine. Pushermen are everywhere.

There is true sincerity in here, if you’re willing to accept it.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
As others have noted, there is convivence, manufacturing economy, funds and tone. And like @henderman, chose tone. Inconvenient to move, took me a whole winter of making sawdust, much more spendy in terms of time...but its a toneful boat anchor.
View attachment 585384
Closed back and opened baffle... interesting !

I know there's a whole science behind building a cab, how much science did you apply to come up with your design ? Build one, test and adjust or was there a method to your madness ?

wrathfuldeity

Strat-Talker
Dec 19, 2008
State of Delusion
Closed back and opened baffle... interesting !

I know there's a whole science behind building a cab, how much science did you apply to come up with your design ? Build one, test and adjust or was there a method to your madness ?

Convertible back, I like the room fill with the partial open vs full open. Full open looses a bit of the lower spectrum and push out the front. Just too much time...thus madness. Btw was made for low watt tweed tube amp. Current spkr is a pull from an Ampeg J-12, 8 ohm, 25, watt ribbed. Spkr in the pic iirc is a weber 12a150.

Years ago posted some notes and more pics over at

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
After a back injury, I decided to make new cabinets to re-house my main amp - a 15w tube combo that weighed about 38lbs. After completion, both are significantly lighter than the combo was. And I got a neodymium speaker for further weight savings. The speaker cabinet is open back and really crisp. It's capable of surprisingly fat low end but I don't run it that way. It has a really big sound and I love everything about this rig now.

If you want to know more detail, here is the build thread.

Attachments

• 20220305_210224.jpg
    20220305_210224.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 1

dirocyn

Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
What are you looking to do? Most major manufacturer combos are built haphazardly and don't qualify as acoustic speaker cabinets because they're just housings. Open or closed or in-between, most makers and most buyers just grab and go. And that's fine; I'm not an advocate for overthinking everything.

Yes. And some of the iconic sounds come from speaker housings that were slapped together haphazardly with little thought for acoustic properties. Like the Marshall, for one.

In the end, sounds good IS good.

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
My 1x12 open back pine cab sounds great loaded with a cannabis rex. Thats all I know.

Wait, I know one more thing. A closed back is thumpier sounding but more directional. I prefer open back in case Im standing off axis from cab on stage. I can hear it better.

Lastly, pine is light. Cab weighs 25 lbs.

rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
In my experience (for whatever that's worth to anyone), I have found a separate cab always sounds better than a combo. That's my experience. I use a combo for portability and convenience, and after years of gigging them, I have become accustomed to their response.

I have a 1x12 Marshall combo that is relatively small. If I plug that into an 1x12 extension cab, there is a noticeable difference in girth(?) to the sound.
Same amp, same speaker model, just slightly bigger box. I can hear the difference from a mile away.

I have a newer Marshall dsl40cr combo, and the cabinet is much bigger than my jcm900 combo.
Different amp, I realize, but again a noticeable difference in "big ness".
I actually wind up using a combo together with a 1x12 ext cab most of the time. It's powerful and thick sounding.
If it's a small venue or crowded stage etc. I just use the combo alone, kicked back and angled up.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
I have a 1x12 Marshall combo that is relatively small. If I plug that into an 1x12 extension cab, there is a noticeable difference in girth(?) to the sound.
Same amp, same speaker model, just slightly bigger box. I can hear the difference from a mile away.
A 1x12 Marshall cab is probably what I'm going to get. I might already have Seventy 80's in my 2x12, but I can't justify the price (almost double) of an Orange 1x12 just because the speaker is different and I "might" like it. It seems like it would make sense to pair my Orange Micro Dark with an Orange cab, but most video reviews of the MD have hooked it up to something else entirely.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Before you spend, is the Orange cab closed back?
If so, if possible, try it with the back panel removed... you never know.
Taking your advice and started an attempt to remove the back... I've accepted that I'm going to ruin the tolex getting anything into the gap to try and pry the bastard open, but it's not really budging at all. I'll keep you posted.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Both FTW

Funny, my favorite cab is probably the Princeton but I find nothing to like about the BF amp Leo stuffed in there.
Had a MKIV Boogie in that basic cab but too damn heavy.
Have a SFP modded to tweedy 6L6 power, kinda heavy as Ive aged.
Have a brown Princeton but not really enough volume for my preferences, compared to the size.

But that cab size and shape with a 12 is perfection.
And wire up a useful amp in there better still, 'cept for my back being shot so best for a younger man.

Also even when I could haul I preferred head & cab for versatility.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
I bought a 59 Jensen P12N with the huge alnico magnet like the Celestion Blue, and realized I had no vacant cab for it.
So while it was in shipping I dug through my plywood scraps and built this Fender 50s TV style cab but to Tolex Princeton dimensions. A little deeper and no angle but open back.
I really dislike the TV fronts but it was the most quick n dirty fix.
Had a scrap of Marshall basketweave and slapped two coats of poly for a total cost of $0.00 before the speaker arrived.
Nice speaker but too American for me, all treble & bass with no mids to speak of.
Fixed it with a used 16 ohm Gold…

901C5AF6-1732-4A38-9F22-7349309F5EA7.jpeg C5B53246-DD79-4AB2-B935-C96343D2782B.jpeg

Last edited:

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
I know this is an age-old conversation, but I just looked and ALL (but one) of my 1x12s are combo amps. So I guess that answers which side I come down on. I'm not sure what the benefit of separates might be, but apparently they didn't provoke a need in me.

The lone "separate" 12" cabinet also has a mids driver and a tweeter and was originally designed to be a bass cabinet.

2x12s are a mixed bag of combo amps and standalone cabinets.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
I bought a 59 Jensen P12N with the huge alnico magnet like the Celestion Blue, and realized I had no vacant cab for it.
So while it was in shipping I dug through my plywood scraps and built this Fender 50s TV style cab but to Tolex Princeton dimensions. A little deeper and no angle but open back.
I really dislike the TV fronts but it was the most quick n dirty fix.
Had a scrap of Marshall basketweave and slapped two coats of poly for a total cost of $0.00 before the speaker arrived.
Nice speaker but too American for me, all treble & bass with no mids to speak of.
Fixed it with a used 16 ohm Gold…

View attachment 585674 View attachment 585675
That is cute. If you were closer, I'd commission you to build one for me. If you were building for others.

touch of gray

Strat-O-Master
Jul 10, 2022
Bismarck, ND
I've always been a combo guy, not sure why. Started out that way and I've stuck with it.

Obvious advantage of having the head separate from the cabinet is so you can mix and match speakers. Also it could split the weight on what would otherwise be a boat anchor combo. Guessing my old Marshall JCM 2 x 12" combo weighed about 80 lbs; I'd probably still own it if it was a 40 lb head and a 40 lb cabinet.
If I buy another amp, it will not be a combo. Gettin to old to lug the big combos around. Even my Vibrolux Reverbs aren’t light, but my old 2x12 combo is a pig.