2 Point Bridge Plate Overlaps Pickguard

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Chont, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Hello,

This is my Modern Player Strat which I don't play much anymore. I replaced the pickguard on this a while back and while it intonates fine I'd like to fix it so I can pass this on to one of my kids. I suppose I could trim the pickguard but I was wondering if there was a better way to fix. Maybe posts that aren't so deep where the knife edge meets or a bridge plate that doesn't have the bump outs cut so deep where they meet the posts? I have it decked but I decided to putz around with the wiggle stick the other day and it doesn't feel so smooth which is pretty obvious why.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

upload_2021-10-27_8-1-36.png

upload_2021-10-27_8-2-2.png

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

There's no way round it, you're going to have to trim the scratchplate to clear the bridge.

Caddy, EC Strat and Chont like this.
  3. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I suppose you could experiment with different bridge plates until you found one with shorter cut-outs so it sits further back. But it might be easier to just get a new pickguard (or shave down your existing one). Did the original pickguard fit ok or has it always been like this? What company made the replacement pickguard? That's a pretty bad mis-cut if it extends under the bridge.

Chont likes this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

A Strat scratchplate is a Strat scratchplate. You quite often have to trim them around the neck and bridge to make them work properly. It usually takes less than five minutes with a file or two, you're usually removing in the region of 1-2mm. The holes don't always match those in the body either...

5. Chont

Thanks. @Thrup'ny Bit and @keys88

The old one fit a little better but was still snug agains the plate with no gap. It was a black HSH pickguard and I decided I wanted white with SSS configuration. The scratch plate is a Fender replacement part. Holes lined up perfect so I was relieved at that.

I guess I have to bite the bullet and trim the plastic. I suspect I'd open up a part replacing can of worms until I end up with a whole new bridge which still might not fix the issue.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

At least you can scribe around the bridge as the plastic is underneath it. Less hit and miss than the neck pocket. :D

Chont likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

You don't need much clearance, just enough.

CP50 bridge.jpg

Chont likes this.
  8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I had a similar issue with one of my strats due to the trem mounting screw holes having opened up slightly on the bass side and therefore causing the bridge to be at a slight angle, so the p'guard was under the bridge on the bass side. If you're handy with a Dremel that would be the easiest way - I used sandpaper to keep the change slow and subtle until enough was gone for the bridge to move freely.

Chont and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  9. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

Yeah, I've flipped a bunch of pickguards and had some minor issues like that, even with "official" replacement guards. But usually it's just a minor inconvenience. I've never seen one extend under the bridge like that. Could this be a USA/import compatibility issue?

+1 to this. You already have the template sitting right on top of the pickguard! Just trace around the bridge and you'll know exactly what you need to remove.

stratelespaul and Chont like this.
  10. Chont

I have a Dremel but I think I'm better off with files and taking its slow. Knowing myself, zipping a straight line in that area with a power tool would lead to failure as quickly as it began.

Thrup'ny Bit and Bob the builder like this.
  11. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

Yep. Go slow. You can always take more off if you need to, but you can't put it back on ;)

And the good thing is that's kind of an inconspicuous area, so even if it's not 100% perfect most people wouldn't notice.

Chont likes this.
  12. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker

Unless you have a guide attachment for the dremel (like for a palm router), I wouldn't use a power tool. I would just use sandpaper, more effort, but way easier to get controlled straight, aesthetically pleasing, lines..

Chont and Baelzebub like this.
  13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

IMO, it makes more sense to trim the pickguard (a disposable plastic item) than to futz around with changing anything about the bridge or mounting studs which are integral components to the proper functioning of the guitar.

14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Pics -

Before:
    Screenshot 2021-10-28 080315.jpg

After:
    Screenshot 2021-10-28 080532.jpg

The_Whale likes this.
  15. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

You will need to replace or modify the Pickguard to provide clearance for the bridge.

Chont likes this.
  16. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It helps to clamp it to a table or in a vise while you file it, to keep it from flexing. Even a small hobby vise.

With masking tape to protect.

Stephen James and Chont like this.