2-point vs. 6-point

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Silverman, Nov 22, 2020.

1. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I guess it’s all in the use you make of the thing? I use the trem on my strat for very light “shimmer”.... any system would do and I much prefer the looks of the 6-point (yeah, I am known for being “stupid”). Never had half a tuning issue. If I used the trem intensively, I guess that a roller nut etc etc would be a must? Perhaps. As for the 2-point being better... had two strats with 2 point and never noticed any difference.

2. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

Set up properly a 6 point trem is perfectly stable. Some folks prefer the feel of a 2 point. I wouldn’t turn down either but my only Strat has a vintage 6 point.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  3. sgarnett

sgarnett Senior Stratmaster

+1

4. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning Strat-Talk Member

OK - I know the 6 screw version - these are rarely set up correctly. The flat part under the front edge of the bridge plate is supposed to sit flat on the face of the guitar so it stabilises the bridge on that flat area. It rests on that flat part. The problems come when it's adjusted too high or too low and isn't doing that. It will rarely come back to the same position after use - well actually it will come back to different positions after every use. So adjust it right or tighten the whole set of springs so it only detunes the strings and comes back to the whole bruige not 'floating' but all flat on the face of the guitar. You'll find a couple of Stewmac vids on setting this up correctly.

5. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

The most important difference between the two point trem and the six screws version:. How many screw holes have to be pre drilled during the manufacturing process. Drilling 2 holes is faster than drilling 6. And that also applied to the bridge plate, which is stamped out of sheet metal. The 2 hole version takes less labor and consumes fewer drill bits.

Leo used 6 because it's what he came up with first, and because he had a ready source for that kind of screw.

They both perform adequately if well set up. They both look good. IMO the two point design is superior because it's cheaper.

6. Primal Tone

Primal Tone New Member!

I absolutely agree. I feel that there is additional friction created from the 6 point tremolo. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFwh8o0B3TL_jW0emsewCVA

7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

The two point has inserts that need to be pressed in. I don't know if that is easier than drilling 6 holes, maybe it is idk.

dirocyn likes this.
  8. Bloodtrails

Bloodtrails Strat-Talk Member

I think hardtail. Lol.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

No it's not.

10. Primal Tone

Primal Tone New Member!

I prefer the 2 point to the 6 also. The 2 point feels cleaner and smoother to me.
    It also seems to go back I tune more easily. Mane it’s due to the additional friction created by the 4 extra points of contact. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFwh8o0B3TL_jW0emsewCVA

11. Primal Tone

Primal Tone New Member!

Sorry-damn autocorrect! Should be MAYBE. Not mane.

12. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

The 6 screw bridge is designed for the plate to sit on the body, whereas the 2 post version is designed to float. Of course you can adjust them either way, but they work best if set up this way. You can also remove the four inner screws on a six screw bridge to make it a two post, if you wanted.

There are several things that you can do with a vintage style bridge to make it function smoother. You can dress the bottom bevel of the bridge plate with a stone so that it rocks on the bevel smoother and you can dress the contact points so that it pivots smoother on the screws.

I can’t really play a guitar with a floating whammy because I bend and play open strings at the same time a lot and on a floater the open strings go way flat when I bend.

13. afireinside

afireinside Strat-Talker

6 point for a fender. But i much prefer the G&L trem over all, Leo Fenders final answer to the problem.

14. Imtxn

Imtxn Strat-Talk Member

Well folk, from a luthiers view, the set up is the same. 6-point Bridge height is adjusted using the two outside screws. Just like a two point. The center 4 screws are later brought down to just reach the surface of the bridge.
    A Question arises about the transfer of vibration. Is there more from two points or 6 points. Not that anybody could hear a difference.
    AND, doesn’t a thread act just like a notch.
    Maybe it all comes down to the snake oil influencing our personal preference.

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Snake oil is hugely important (along with unicorn hair) to the exact science of tone production and perfect playability. Only an ignoramus or a fool - sorry, a stupid - could debase himself to the point of playing a strat without first carefully considering what type of trem it has installed. I have spoken.

:p

16. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Spot. On.
    For example, locking tuners.
    I’ve never had a problem with vintage tuners going out of tune, and the time it takes to string the locking ones and screw them down is comparable to the tuning time on the vintage ones.

Martins Strat and RadioFM74 like this.
  17. William Sessions

William Sessions New Member!

^6 screws obsolete? If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

18. mediumjohn

mediumjohn Strat-Talk Member

Indeed , you understand what's going on ..

19. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-Talk Member

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    Yeah I've seen that 1/8" recommendation Fender has on their website for how fair the tail of the bridgeplate
    is supposed to be off the body, but I'm not sure if they mean when setting up a two point or a six. I've always
    surmised that initially Leo's intention was to have it flat on the body and allowed to rock forward where the bevel
    is at the beveled edge underneath the bridge plate at the screws, giving it only the ability to go flat. Could be wrong of course.

I just think that when they went to the two point in 1986, it was a come from behind answer to all of the
    new Floyd Rose equipped super strats that had been eating Fender's lunch. They had this massive market
    of new guitarists with everyone and their brother wanting to sound like EVH, Vai, George Lynch etc; and
    bend up as well as down with the tremolo in a fashion like doing that thing that makes one go blind.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    StummerJoe likes this.
  20. Marky Forrest

Marky Forrest Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I have both and like them equally. The 6 point has the traditional bent saddles while the 2 point has block saddles. Which is better? I'd have to flip a coin.

StummerJoe likes this.