2-point vs. 6-point

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Silverman, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Six. The two point has a different set up.

No, it moves on the pivots, allowing the arm to be raised and the strings to be sharpened, which is why the six screws aren't tightened down.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

See, for me it's just the opposite.
    I have never had a problem with locking tuners going out of tune, and the time it takes me to wrap the string and shove the pointy end in the hole, is comparable to the tuning time on the locking ones.

3. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

You must choose a side !!!!
    Lol just kidding. Oh, and the block saddles are better.

Marky Forrest and Colnago1 like this.
  4. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-Talk Member

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    Do you agree though that the bridge plate is supposed to touch the body at that line where the bevel is
    using it as a fulcrum? That was always my assumption, that six was meant to always have bridge contact
    with the body regardless of position and rock on that line.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

No. It doesn't touch the body, the bevel is there for clearance. It pivots on the screws. If you tighten those screws until the bridge bevel touches the body, then pull up on the arm, you will damage the body.

Martins Strat likes this.
  6. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-Talk Member

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    Great, there goes my argument for a possible cause for tonal difference. :mad: I'm going to have
    to get a PRS now to gain a sense of argumentative superiority in this joint.

Martins Strat likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

All you have to do is have the right argument. :D

8. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Most certainly not. One need not be right to gain a sense of superiority. :whistling:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    RadioFM74 likes this.
  9. HJB1432

HJB1432 Strat-Talker

I just hate two point trems .... the end

10. jdyanine

jdyanine Strat-Talk Member

If it's a strat, I want it to look like a strat. That means 6 screws and bent steel saddles. But I wouldn't choose that for pulling the bar up.

2 pivots are smoother than 6 screws, it floats better. I hate most powder steel block saddles that came with 2 pivot bridges, because they sound dead with single coils, so 2 pivots and bent steel saddles are a nice match wthout looking too modern. And you can pull the trem bar up a little bit. But the 2 edges fasten against the pivots wear out.

I don't believe it's true that strats doesn't have tuning stability issues when floating the trem if set up correctly... you can make it work, but it isn't perfect, there are always one or two strings detuning by 10 cents, unless you use the tremolo fearfully or you shake the bar after each use... and you have to tune the guitar more often too. 10 cents is almost unnoticeable, but not perfect.

On the other half, with the bridge decked and split shaft tuners I've had the guitar in tune for a week without touching the tuners.

If you're looking for the best tremolo system, Fender doesn't have the answer, because they don't use locking saddles (like PRS does).
    That's a big improvement and I thing that's more important than 6 screws vs 2 pivots.

The nut slots have to be wider than the strings and polished.

Locking tuners are useful if you don't know how to string correctly or if the wound strings are getting stuck around the shaft when losing tension puling the trem arm down.

I think VegaTrem is a very smart innovation; 4 of the 6 screws, good tone, locking saddles, you don't have to work on the wood, you can pull the bar both ways... but the price is dumb.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  11. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talk Member

99.9% of tuning problems are at the nut and string trees. A bridge has to be really screwed up, badly installed or poorly designed to not zero out. Yes, some two point bridges can give you a wider throw. The six screw setup gives you more contact between the strings and the wood. Right now that's what my two strats have.

systolsys likes this.
  12. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You can fine tune your action with the 2-pt without adjusting the saddle height. Not so with the vintage.

The_Whale likes this.
  13. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Love my Strat Plus guitars for staying in tune ...frictionless Wilkinson roller nut, and no string trees thanks to staggered locking Schaller tuners.

Slartybartfast likes this.
  14. roneysam

roneysam Strat-Talker

That's actually a pretty "stupid" and narrow minded thing to say. Vintage Stratocaster style Fender vibrato bridges may not handle extreme vibrato use as well as modern bridges, but they are more than adequate for most people when properly set up. They also feel & sound better to many players. My vintage bridge stays in tune remarkably well throughout a full 3-4 set night of playing. I do occasionally have to touch up tuning if I get too wild and carried away showing off with a Hendrix cover, but its rare and only because I'm fairly OCD about tuning. Aside from that, need for retuning during a set is unusual and my Strat actually has tuners built right into the headstock for just such an occasion. For most people who prefer vintage its a slight,if any depending on application, trade-off compared to more modern locking systems, but well worth it for the way it affects tone. Modern non-locking Fender vibrato bridges make almost no difference (if any) in use compared to a properly floated vintage bridge, and affect tone in a way that many people consider undesirable.
    You really ought to get a little broader range of experience before making judgements about what's "obsolete ... and very stupid". You don't know what you're talking about. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, except when you start criticizing in ignorance. Think twice next time and be cooler.

rafasounds likes this.
  15. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

So I'm ignorant, rude and narrow minded? Interesting. I'm gonna quit. I'm very tired of you sensitive cork-sniffers vintage fanatics who knows everything about everything and team up against people who tells something different about your thoughs. I assure you that it's just right to fight with non-native English writer who doesn't know that "stupid" is equal to tell "**********" or "son of a *****". Also I suggest to you to stay with your "inscripted in marble" sure beliefs without discussing and just fighting and your mediocre actual Fender **** and keep teasing those who have noticed that and who are not blind and dependent like you. So I'm narrow minded ad rude? Everyone of you doesn't know who I am, what I do and what I know. Goodbye morons.

16. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Or then have the old Elite bridge of the early 80s.....
    Screenshot_20201125-213248_Chrome.jpg

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

The System II. :) That went well, as did the I and III...

[​IMG]

Then, of course, there was the Free Flyte. :D

Bazz Jass likes this.
  18. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

Calm down Felicia, you started with the abuse. Wind your neck in.

roneysam, Colnago1 and rafasounds like this.
  19. Sonic Les

Sonic Les Strat-Talk Member

I seem to recall Steinberger made all trems obsolete But i think Fenders original 6 point is a more durable design as it spreads the load on the guitar body better .

20. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Bye :)

roneysam and rafasounds like this.