Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

2 pre cbs Strats. 2 totally different sounds..?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by niksevig119, May 14, 2017.

1. niksevig119

niksevig119 Strat-Talker

Jan 26, 2009
    RI
    So, here is a topic to discuss...
    The age old wonder..

I have 2 pre-cbs strats. A 59 and 61
    The 59 is faded two tone burst. Some wear. R/w board. Refretted with Jumbo frets. All stock otherwise. And has a deep fat woody tone. But is clear and perfect to me

The 61, sonic blue, rw board, also jumbo frets. All electronics are stock. It produces a much higher register, clean, treble tone in all pickup positions. Just a clean clear bright sounding guitar.

Pickups are all in the same relative range. Guitars are both setup same . The only differences, componenet wise, the 61 has the red circle cap, and springs through the pickup height screws instead of surgical tubing..

Any opinions as to why, two guitars of the same nature, can produce such opposite sounds???

Attached Files:

Ditchgator and crashbelt like this.

2. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    I would say Hand wound pickups can behave very differently. The kOhm resistance is the most obvious parameter but there are many others factors which affect the tones.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

They're two different guitars. Of course they sound different. That's why it's fun to have more than one. :D

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    Yeah, also you cannot sell one and keep the other, how can you take such a decision?
    We are hopeless :D

6. jaymichaels

jaymichaels Strat-Talker

Feb 7, 2017
    Tempe,AZ
    What type of wood are the bodies? I have a 60th avri 54 with an ash body and an 03 Clapton that's Alder... big diff between the 2

7. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    There is a huge difference in pickups and electronics between those two, I wouldn't put it down to just wood.

Ditchgator, Mesaman and niksevig119 like this.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    This.

No two Strats sound just alike. Why? Who cares, just enjoy them.

9. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I can't tell the difference between a Strat and a diesel engine ticking over, let alone two Strats. There's no hope for me.. :rolleyes:

10. fezz parka

Three guitars. Pickups are pretty much the same. A5 around 5.5k. One is a' 65 Strat, one is a partscaster, one is my JV Squier. Electronics are only part of it. It's the sum of the parts, and the person playing it, that defines it's character.

montemerrick likes this.

11. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

+1 on that....

12. niksevig119

niksevig119 Strat-Talker

Jan 26, 2009
    RI
    I do enjoy them. Just a discussion. Both guitars are great

slowerhand likes this.

13. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    This is like having two gorgeous girlfriends who laugh differently. Are you bragging or complaining?

14. tarcisioo

tarcisioo Strat-Talker

Jan 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Pickups aren't just resistance. Actually, some deep knowledged folks says resistance doesn't tell you s**t. Inductance would tell more. Why is that? Don't have a clue.

15. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

Jul 24, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    i didnt like the last one at all. the first two were great but slightly different.

16. fezz parka

But in the spirit of the OP, were they all different? Funny, that black one is my favorite. Different ears hear different things. :D

Last edited: May 14, 2017

17. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    The differences are very subtle, and each guitar is likely to shine in slightly different musical contexts. The first guitar has an exceptionally sweet tone. Oddly enough, I didn't take to the third guitar at first, but I wondered if it was due to psychological factors (ie – because the body colour was darker, I expected it to sound darker).

On second listening, without looking at the screen, I came to the conclusion that first and third guitar have more in common tonally than the second.

I'm slightly biased, because I know a little about the first guitar and have said how much I like its sound in the past.

fezz parka likes this.

18. The Guy

The Guy Senior Stratmaster

Sep 23, 2015
    Ex "El Principe"
    It would be interesting to switch the loaded pick-guards and see what happens...

Ditchgator likes this.

19. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    My 61' sounds like it has very similar characteristics to your 59'. My 70' is very similar to what you describe in your 61'. But it's post cbs tinder ;) they're all their own person

20. jaymichaels

jaymichaels Strat-Talker

Feb 7, 2017
    Tempe,AZ
    No, I agree, but you make my point, there are other factors that make the diff

21. fezz parka

The white one was on several challenges . It shines on the "all three on" setting. :D