2001 American Standard Strat Identification help please

Rkphilpot

Strat-Talk Member
May 4, 2020
Essex
Screenshot_20210724_120819_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120823_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120828_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120853_com.gumtree.android.jpg Hi all
I'm potentially buying this strat for £1180 and I may be dumb enough to do it without playing it. It's an 8 hour drive away. Do you think it's worth the price and if I don't like it could I make my money back?

1 of 100 made, FSR Metallic Coral finish

SPECS
Model Name – FSR American Stratocaster
Series – American Series
Body Material – Alder
Neck Material – Maple
Fingerboard – Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius – 9.5” (241mm)
Number of Frets – 22
Fret Size – Medium Jumbo
Scale Length – 25.5” (648mm)
Nut Width – 1.6875” (43mm)
Hardware – Chrome
Machine Heads – Fender/Schaller Deluxe Cast Sealed
Bridge – American Strat 2-point Tremolo with milled stainless-steel saddles
Pickguard – 3-Ply “Parchment”
Pickups – 3 American Strat Single Coil Pickups

MBWfyYL
Screenshot_20210724_120819_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120823_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120828_com.gumtree.android.jpg

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
View attachment 496361 View attachment 496362 View attachment 496363 View attachment 496364 Hi all
I'm potentially buying this strat for £1180 and I may be dumb enough to do it without playing it. It's an 8 hour drive away. Do you think it's worth the price and if I don't like it could I make my money back?

1 of 100 made, FSR Metallic Coral finish

SPECS
Model Name – FSR American Stratocaster
Series – American Series
Body Material – Alder
Neck Material – Maple
Fingerboard – Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius – 9.5” (241mm)
Number of Frets – 22
Fret Size – Medium Jumbo
Scale Length – 25.5” (648mm)
Nut Width – 1.6875” (43mm)
Hardware – Chrome
Machine Heads – Fender/Schaller Deluxe Cast Sealed
Bridge – American Strat 2-point Tremolo with milled stainless-steel saddles
Pickguard – 3-Ply “Parchment”
Pickups – 3 American Strat Single Coil Pickups

MBWfyYL
View attachment 496361 View attachment 496362 View attachment 496363

It's 100% legit and checks out on Fender's site, but that is not a lovely price - it's high.....by about 200 quid.....or even 300 too high for some......plus an 8 hour drive, I wouldn't consider it.....but that's up to you....

Screenshot_15.png

Last edited:

Rkphilpot

Strat-Talk Member
May 4, 2020
Essex
Thanks guys
I had seen that other one on reverb linked above but wondered if it was cheaper as it's a 2 year old advert.

Isn't it just stunning. Im falling so in love with it.
Think it's unreasonable of me to offer £800 and link the advert above?

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys
I had seen that other one on reverb linked above but wondered if it was cheaper as it's a 2 year old advert.

Isn't it just stunning. Im falling so in love with it.
Think it's unreasonable of me to offer £800 and link the advert above?

I think honestly about 900 isn't too bad, it's in good shape and is a special colour run.....800 might be hard to get down to.....that's 280 off what's being asked now.....but I wouldn't go higher.....

J4ME5

Strat-O-Master
Sep 1, 2020
X
Hahaha, well spotted!!

Must be really rare then.
She wasn't prepared to budge on price at all.
Don't be afraid to offer more if you really want it buddy – something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, and the price of EVERYTHING has risen significantly in the past couple of years! I would have no problem, personally – paying what the seller wants here. What does a new Standard / Professional cost today? £1600? Is eleven or twelve hundred REALLY too much for a rare, American-made Standard Stratocaster? In 2021? An era where quite a number of Mexican made guitars – GREAT guitars that they are of course – are increasingly retailing at £1000 plus? In my humble opinion, it's not – and if it is – it's to the tune of £30, maybe £80 – only my personal opinion though!

If you really love the guitar – try... £1130 including shipping, and see how you get on!

Follow your heart buddy – not your wallet :) !!!!

Rkphilpot

Strat-Talk Member
May 4, 2020
Essex
Don't be afraid to offer more if you really want it buddy – something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, and the price of EVERYTHING has risen significantly in the past couple of years! I would have no problem, personally – paying what the seller wants here. What does a new Standard / Professional cost today? £1600? Is eleven or twelve hundred REALLY too much for a rare, American-made Standard Stratocaster? In 2021? An era where quite a number of Mexican made guitars – GREAT guitars that they are of course – are increasingly retailing at £1000 plus? In my humble opinion, it's not – and if it is – it's to the tune of £30, maybe £80 – only my personal opinion though!

If you really love the guitar – try... £1130 including shipping, and see how you get on!

Follow your heart buddy – not your wallet :) !!!!

You have some really good points, what puts me off is the fact I cant physically play the guitar before buying it.
I want to be able to get my money back if I don't like it.

J4ME5

Strat-O-Master
Sep 1, 2020
X
You have some really good points, what puts me off is the fact I cant physically play the guitar before buying it.
I want to be able to get my money back if I don't like it.
I understand... it is a bit of a risk not playing it before buying, but – there's little you can do there on this occasion! I do personally think however, that you probably would get your money back, certainly eventually. I just took a quick look on Reverb there, and see the same guitar – at a higher price – (probably higher because of Reverb fees) but there's 39 people watching – which is not an insignificant number of watchers – in fact I would say it is a high number. That's 39 people that are not at all put off by the price, the significantly higher price. There are probably many who were put off by the price – so won't have watched the listing, but 39 people is – regardless of any factors – not a low number... which would suggest to me the price is really not THAT far off. I would strongly suspect a 10% drop by the seller would soon see it sell.

So... at any rate – if you were to get it for less, and didn't like it – I honestly can't imagine you would lose more than a very, very, very nominal amount – if any at all. It'll always be a rare guitar – and rare is desirable... it appears to be in (and is listed as) mint condition – so... I do think if you got it for in and around the £1100 give or take a few pounds either way – that your money would be safe enough.

That IS only my opinion though – I'm just some randomer off the internet!! So please take what I say with a pinch of salt... – I do believe what I'm saying though, and wouldn't say it if I didn't!!

Good luck :thumb: !!

hrstrat57

Strat-Talker
Jun 11, 2016
RI
Yikes that is a spectacular Am Std Strat. A bone stock pickguard on a American Standard should pose very little risk. I’d probably whine about my drive and petrol cost to try and get the price down but that’s a beaut!

J4ME5

Strat-O-Master
Sep 1, 2020
X
Let's hope I like it then haha.
Appreciate your comments.
I'm sure you'll love it!! Obviously there is a disagreement here on valuation – between myself and a couple of the others, but I am of the opinion this guitar is not going to lose you a single penny. This is a rare guitar, 1 of 100 – in a ridiculously cool colour... and it is in MINT condition, these things MEAN something – they add to the value of the guitar, this is not just another £900 used Strat – you're paying for the rare colour, and the TOP condition!! Just my opinion... – I'm delighted for you :thumb: !!!

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I'm sure you'll love it!! Obviously there is a disagreement here on valuation – between myself and a couple of the others, but I am of the opinion this guitar is not going to lose you a single penny. This is a rare guitar, 1 of 100 – in a ridiculously cool colour... and it is in MINT condition, these things MEAN something – they add to the value of the guitar, this is not just another £900 used Strat – you're paying for the rare colour, and the TOP condition!! Just my opinion... – I'm delighted for you :thumb: !!!

EDIT - I am STUNNED - I thought 100% for sure the seller was lying about it being 1 of 100, but it's been verified by Fender......

Last edited: