2001 American Standard Strat Identification help please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rkphilpot, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Rkphilpot

Rkphilpot Strat-Talk Member

Screenshot_20210724_120819_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120823_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120828_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120853_com.gumtree.android.jpg Hi all
    I'm potentially buying this strat for £1180 and I may be dumb enough to do it without playing it. It's an 8 hour drive away. Do you think it's worth the price and if I don't like it could I make my money back?

1 of 100 made, FSR Metallic Coral finish

SPECS
    Model Name – FSR American Stratocaster
    Series – American Series
    Body Material – Alder
    Neck Material – Maple
    Fingerboard – Rosewood
    Fingerboard Radius – 9.5” (241mm)
    Number of Frets – 22
    Fret Size – Medium Jumbo
    Scale Length – 25.5” (648mm)
    Nut Width – 1.6875” (43mm)
    Hardware – Chrome
    Machine Heads – Fender/Schaller Deluxe Cast Sealed
    Bridge – American Strat 2-point Tremolo with milled stainless-steel saddles
    Pickguard – 3-Ply “Parchment”
    Pickups – 3 American Strat Single Coil Pickups

[​IMG] Screenshot_20210724_120819_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120823_com.gumtree.android.jpg Screenshot_20210724_120828_com.gumtree.android.jpg

Tsjackson, 3bolt79 and Stratafied like this.
  2. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

It's 100% legit and checks out on Fender's site, but that is not a lovely price - it's high.....by about 200 quid.....or even 300 too high for some......plus an 8 hour drive, I wouldn't consider it.....but that's up to you....

Screenshot_15.png

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    3bolt79, Rkphilpot and Willmunny like this.
  4. doublechinmask

doublechinmask Strat-Talk Member

Man,thats such a beautiful guitar.What a finish and such a nice combo with that neck.It looks like aged fiesta red.

Maybe try to lower a price a bit.

Price aside I think thats most beautiful american standard I have ever seen.

PCollen, 3bolt79, Rkphilpot and 2 others like this.
  5. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Ryan is right that's at least £300 too much

6. Rkphilpot

Thanks guys
    I had seen that other one on reverb linked above but wondered if it was cheaper as it's a 2 year old advert.

Isn't it just stunning. Im falling so in love with it.
    Think it's unreasonable of me to offer £800 and link the advert above?

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

I think honestly about 900 isn't too bad, it's in good shape and is a special colour run.....800 might be hard to get down to.....that's 280 off what's being asked now.....but I wouldn't go higher.....

Rkphilpot likes this.
  8. Rkphilpot

Thanks for all your help everyone.
    I've just offered £900 posted. I'm doubtful but at least if I don't like it I should be able to get my money back.

3bolt79 and FrieAsABird like this.
  9. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster

It is the same guitar. Check the serial number.

Flighty, Demon Dave and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. Rkphilpot

Hahaha, well spotted!!

Must be really rare then.
    She wasn't prepared to budge on price at all.

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Don't be afraid to offer more if you really want it buddy – something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, and the price of EVERYTHING has risen significantly in the past couple of years! I would have no problem, personally – paying what the seller wants here. What does a new Standard / Professional cost today? £1600? Is eleven or twelve hundred REALLY too much for a rare, American-made Standard Stratocaster? In 2021? An era where quite a number of Mexican made guitars – GREAT guitars that they are of course – are increasingly retailing at £1000 plus? In my humble opinion, it's not – and if it is – it's to the tune of £30, maybe £80 – only my personal opinion though!

If you really love the guitar – try... £1130 including shipping, and see how you get on!

Follow your heart buddy – not your wallet :) !!!!

Baelzebub, aadvark and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. Rkphilpot

You have some really good points, what puts me off is the fact I cant physically play the guitar before buying it.
    I want to be able to get my money back if I don't like it.

13. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I understand... it is a bit of a risk not playing it before buying, but – there's little you can do there on this occasion! I do personally think however, that you probably would get your money back, certainly eventually. I just took a quick look on Reverb there, and see the same guitar – at a higher price – (probably higher because of Reverb fees) but there's 39 people watching – which is not an insignificant number of watchers – in fact I would say it is a high number. That's 39 people that are not at all put off by the price, the significantly higher price. There are probably many who were put off by the price – so won't have watched the listing, but 39 people is – regardless of any factors – not a low number... which would suggest to me the price is really not THAT far off. I would strongly suspect a 10% drop by the seller would soon see it sell.

So... at any rate – if you were to get it for less, and didn't like it – I honestly can't imagine you would lose more than a very, very, very nominal amount – if any at all. It'll always be a rare guitar – and rare is desirable... it appears to be in (and is listed as) mint condition – so... I do think if you got it for in and around the £1100 give or take a few pounds either way – that your money would be safe enough.

That IS only my opinion though – I'm just some randomer off the internet!! So please take what I say with a pinch of salt... – I do believe what I'm saying though, and wouldn't say it if I didn't!!

Good luck :thumb: !!

14. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

Yikes that is a spectacular Am Std Strat. A bone stock pickguard on a American Standard should pose very little risk. I’d probably whine about my drive and petrol cost to try and get the price down but that’s a beaut!

15. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

gorgeous axe i'd buy it

16. Rkphilpot

Cheers everyone, I managed to get it for £1120
    Ill update after a few days of playing it

aadvark, Wound_Up and J4ME5 like this.
  17. Guitarmageddon

Wow.....you will never be able to get that money back if you sell.....good luck

Demon Dave likes this.
  18. Rkphilpot

Let's hope I like it then haha.
    Appreciate your comments.

19. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I'm sure you'll love it!! Obviously there is a disagreement here on valuation – between myself and a couple of the others, but I am of the opinion this guitar is not going to lose you a single penny. This is a rare guitar, 1 of 100 – in a ridiculously cool colour... and it is in MINT condition, these things MEAN something – they add to the value of the guitar, this is not just another £900 used Strat – you're paying for the rare colour, and the TOP condition!! Just my opinion... – I'm delighted for you :thumb: !!!

20. Guitarmageddon

EDIT - I am STUNNED - I thought 100% for sure the seller was lying about it being 1 of 100, but it's been verified by Fender......

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Baelzebub, aadvark and J4ME5 like this.