2001 American Standard Strat Identification help please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rkphilpot, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Rkphilpot

Rkphilpot Strat-Talk Member

I emailed Fender and they verified that only 100 were made. As seen in email.

Thanks to those that are happy for me, I hope the wife is on that side.

Attached Files:

aadvark and J4ME5 like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

That changes EVERYTHING! I thought it was a load of bull - every single time I see somebody or a shop selling a guitar, I always 100% assume that every single thing said is a lie, and do my own research....

You got a nice guitar there! It's not overpriced.....

Baelzebub likes this.
  3. Rkphilpot

Me too, hence coming to you guys, emailing Fender and I even messaged to old shop that had the other reverb listing I see if they thought it was overpriced.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic now or not lol

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I am autistic, I don't do sarcasm but often people think I'm doing it lol

I'm 100% serious, flipped around 180 degrees.....I had no idea only 100 existed

Baelzebub and Rkphilpot like this.
  5. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Nah I understand buddy – sellers do often try and oversell what they've got!! Great to have it verified in this case though :thumb: !

6. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Tell her you... shrewdly – and mercilessly – drove the seller down to £500!! – and you'd like to treat her to lunch to celebrate your victory, and she'll be happy :) !!

Make sure and keep us updated anyway – it would be great to see / hear how you get on! With regards to the guitar of course... - not the lunch!

Rkphilpot likes this.
  7. Rkphilpot

Thanks again for all your help everyone

J4ME5 likes this.
  8. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Congrats! That's beautiful guitar! Hopefully it plays as well as it looks.

Rkphilpot likes this.
  9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Congrats; that is a very cool color - one of only 100 made.

Of course - we will hold you to the full report and fresh pictures once you get it.:D

Rkphilpot likes this.
  10. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Strat-Talker

Congrats I don’t often like red guitars, but this one is a hook, gorgeous

Rkphilpot likes this.
  11. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

I live in Essex and am trying to work what’s 8 hours away, Scotland?

12. Rkphilpot

Yes mate about an hour north of Glasgow. About 8 hours with a pitstop and likely traffic.

13. Wrighty

A trek I’ve done many times some years back when I worked in aviation, used to stay in Stirling. Made a rule early on that anything beyond Manchester was an over night stay. Looking at that guitar and what he’s asking for it I’d say it was well worth the trip.

14. Hillebert

Hillebert Strat-Talk Member

If she sounds the way she looks you will be very happy. I absolutely love those 60ies colors...

15. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talk Member

More
    Pics
    Puhleeez!!!

:)

(Congrats!!)

16. Rkphilpot

So, it came yesterday. Parcel Force kindly left it outside my front door all day. Thankfully it was still there!

Its beautiful, a great colour, if a little more salmon than I expected. Plays wonderfully, the neck is really nice, smooth with nice rounded edges, the frets are in great condition. Seems to have barely been played, tiny bit of buckle rash on the back but the spring cavity cover still has the plastic film on it. I took the neck off and the body and neck stamp read may and June 2001, with the Luthiers initials, so its definitely all legit, it also has the original tag that has all the Fender QC numbers on it.
    It sounds great, pretty classic Strat sounds, but here in lies my problem........

I can never leave things alone. My last 1993 Strat, I put a hotrail in the bridge, this one id really like to try to put some Ron Ellis 50/60's in, or try some Texas specials or fat 50's. Just to make the pickups slightly creamier and with a little more bottom end. However as its 1 of 100 and in such good condition I don't know whether to leave it as standard and treat it as an investment. If I gig it, then I know it will get trashed, all my guitars do. But I don't want to just lock it away for years.

Part of me wants me to love it and make it my own, part of me thinks if I want to do that I should just by a standard american, not use a FSR ?!?!

Pics to follow.

J4ME5 likes this.
  17. Rkphilpot

Apologies the pictures aren't great, I was in a rush this morning before work. The colour doesn't come out great so I've put it next to my Simon Neil Signature squier. IMG_20210729_182854.jpg IMG_20210729_182854.jpg IMG_20210729_182902.jpg IMG_20210730_055949.jpg IMG_20210730_055955.jpg IMG_20210730_060026.jpg IMG_20210730_060034.jpg

18. Wrighty

Do nothing to it but play it. Respect it for what it is, a very limited addition, untampered with and different sounding to your other Strat. Why d’you want two the same?

Rkphilpot likes this.
  19. Hillebert

Hillebert Strat-Talk Member

Gorgeous Guitar, Congratulations!

20. aadvark

aadvark Strat-Talk Member

Even better. Love the colour. Get to know it as is, for quite a while... we grow into our instruments or is it vice versa - if after a while you still need to tamper, you can always change of few things and keep the old parts if you ever want to sell.

Despite my having a number of beautiful vintage instruments, I really discourage anyone from buying a guitar as an investment. Buy it to play it. No matter what, you'll get something like your money back in the end, but first and foremost play it and love it - that'll be worth more than any dollar/pound value.

Looks like a great axe, enjoy!
    (my first post!)