2001 squier or not?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by stratnuts24, Feb 26, 2014.

1. stratnuts24

stratnuts24 New Member!

I originally bought this guitar thinking it was Japanese copy It arrived and after opening it up I found a serial number inside the body ic010503787. It doesn't have logos on the head stock. Is this a squier or just a cort clone?:confused:
    Thanks for the info!

When the going gets weird ...the weird turn pro...HST"

Attached Files:

2. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

2001 Indonesian made Squier Affinity by the look of it.

3. Old Man

Old Man Strat-Talk Member

I don't know what it is, but love that green perloid on the black body.

4. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

This would be my guess as well. Someone sanded off the Squier logo and put on the pickguard... if the OP is lucky they also swapped out the crappy stock pickups and electronics for some good quality replacement parts.

5. stratnuts24

stratnuts24 New Member!

Thanks for the replies im going to take her apart and post some pics if you all are game for some operation!

6. stratnuts24

stratnuts24 New Member!

Squier or not pt 2

So here is what i found it is a squier. The neck plate had been turned around in what i imagine was post 1990's squier shame. Not me of course i love these cheap buggers and honestly know that some of them play and sound better than their expensive uptown sisters...hahah;)

Attached Files:

7. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Yep... cheap two bar ceramic pickups, dime size 500k pots, 0.022uf green chicklet cap...

If you really want to perk that thing up:

A set of decent Alnico pickups... Dragonfire's Vintage set or Hot Texas Blues are about $50 a set and will be wonderful, depending on whether you like mellow vintage tone or hot pickups.
    full size 250k pots
    0.047uf cap

You'll be pleasantly surprised.

8. stratnuts24

stratnuts24 New Member!

to be continued........

cheers.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes... You'll be amazed at how much these types of upgrades can improve the sound of your guitar.

10. normj

normj Strat-O-Master

I have never seen 2 bar pickups on the Indonesian Squier. All of those have the single bar ceramic pickups. The only two bar pickups I have seen are on the MIM Fender Stratocasters. I have several sets of pickups that look just like those and mine all were removed from MIM Fender Stratocasters.

The pickup selector switch is like what the Asian made Squiers use.

Not positive about the pots because I cannot read the markings. I would need a better photo of the pots to be certain. I think the green cap is typical of the Asian Squiers. I would want to see the markings on the pots to be sure what they are.

Talk to you later,
    Norm

11. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

I personly like the two bar ceramic pups, they are an improvment over most of the Squiers, but only if you change to full size 250k pots and an Orange Drop 0.047uf cap, of caurse you will be creating a MIM Strat, Ive done it on an SE Strat, sounds great!

......poppa

12. stratnuts24

stratnuts24 New Member!

Great info fellas...the pots fer sure will go. plugged in the pick ups are pretty loud...its a fine little guitar it came from a pawn store in cleveland i paid $100 so i figure i can drop another $100 or so to get her up to speed. I polished the frets the neck is a little bent probably from the road trip from ohio to washington Other than a few scratches its clean the paint isnt black its like a deep blue with flake or sparkle whatever those paint guys call it when the paint is sparkly....hehe

All my life ive chased a fender and always wind up with a squier in my hands and thats just fine.
    I will return with more pics of whatever i end up changing on my new lady.....for good or ill....

13. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Senior Stratmaster

The one we opened today, with a neck and body number of IC MAR 01, had two of the modern style import pickups with solid plastic bottoms, and only the pickups showing. The one at the bridge is the older style like are in my MIK.

14. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The Wizard next door................ Strat-Talk Supporter

I have. My Indonesian Affinitiy strats original pickups were two bar, similar to MIM pickups. Others are not, so it depends. It certainly looks just like the inside of my Indo Stratocaster before my upgrades: the two bar pickups, import switch, and 500k mini pots.

I found those pickups are not too bad, but higher quality 250k pots and tone cap will do them a world of good, in my experience.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  15. skinnyass

skinnyass Strat-Talk Member

Changing pots (and cap) could not possibly have the slightest effect on sound, as long as they are all set to "10" (zero resistance) as they ALWAYS should be.

16. ezrocks4u

ezrocks4u Senior Stratmaster

While that might be true, I noticed that nice pots have a more open, bell like quality clearness which was not there while using dime pots.

17. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Senior Stratmaster

I have an 01 with one of these pickups at the bridge, and the more modern style in the other positions. Best sounding guitar in the house, in four switch positions anyway.
    My MIK uses three of these, and most folks say it sounds wonderful or "Stratty". The bridge position puts a capital T on twang. Lower the pickups, and it pulls a low end that neither of the others can equal.
    Depending on how high they are set, you can warm the 08 Affinity up to darn near equal the MIK by raising the pickups, without changing a thing.
    I have rapidly become a believer in tens, not nines, also. The sound is so much more full with the tens.
    Those are not 2001 pickups at all, unless it was some kind of special model. Those are the pickups they used in 92, before the bottom magnet and before the ones that use actual magnets.

18. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The Wizard next door................ Strat-Talk Supporter

There is still a load present, even when wide open, so it does, actually. Unless you have true no load tone pots or a Fender Delta tone control, which amounts to the same thing. But there is still no such thing as a no load volume pot, so its load is always present.

Whether or not they should always be set to 10 is, in my opinion, a subjective opinion, based on how you use your guitar and what you want t hear from it. If they weren't meant to be adjustable, they wouldn't be designed with variable resistance potentiometers as controls.