2006 Pewter Eric Clapton Signature Strat?

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
It is said that the Clapton neck carve was base upon the neck of a favorite Martin acoustic of his. Calling attention to the two guitars I've posted above. The neck on the red guitar, built in the Custom Shop, has slightly less taper than the pewter which was factory built. I also owned a '93 Blackie [Lace Sensors] which had the same neck shape as the '89. I've not played a late model so I cannot comment further.
The carve on mine is the best I’ve ever played. I needed a refret so I went with SS medium jumbos - I mean man it plays now Super smooth

Cali Dude

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 9, 2020
California
It is said that the Clapton neck carve was base upon the neck of a favorite Martin acoustic of his. Calling attention to the two guitars I've posted above. The neck on the red guitar, built in the Custom Shop, has slightly less taper than the pewter which was factory built. I also owned a '93 Blackie [Lace Sensors] which had the same neck shape as the '89. I've not played a late model so I cannot comment further.
Right. I had heard something like that. My knowledge of the Guitar is two fold. I played one from the early '90s, and didn't find the neck carve to be comfortable. The second part, is my owning the Buddy Guy USA Strat model since '96. This guitar is almost identical to the Clapton model, with the exception of the ash body. The neck carve on my BG model is not as sharp of a V as the earlier Clapton model.

Cali Dude

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 9, 2020
California
The carve on mine is the best I’ve ever played. I needed a refret so I went with SS medium jumbos - I mean man it plays now Super smooth
Yeah, me too. Mine is the similar USA Buddy Guy Strat. When I needed a fret job, I went with vintage tall frets. Definitely an improvement on the vintage frets.

Grandfunkfan

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 16, 2021
Idaho
I’ve owned 3 Blackie Strats. The EC is a really nice guitar, but I eventually sold all 3 could never bond with the tiny, vintage frets. If he’s a beginner, perhaps he may like something with bigger frets? They’re definitely easier to play. BTW…I’d still like a nice EC Strat in my collection. At some point, I’m just going to get another one and get it refretted with stainless 6150s.
Not to go off topic, but just refretted with stainless and it drastically changed the sound of my strat and not for the better. Pinging, spiky, and bright.

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
Not to go off topic, but just refretted with stainless and it drastically changed the sound of my strat and not for the better. Pinging, spiky, and bright.
I was worried about the same - did lots of research and decided to go for it. The SS frets didn’t alter anything tone wise on mine. I think I was fortunate in that regard bc I know it can sure happen

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal
No it's not, they'res less than 1300-1400 Canadian, can be bought for $1000 US

It depends on where in Canada, which is a detail i left out. I've noticed things are substantially cheaper in small Ontario towns and in Quebec. I'm in Toronto now and, depending on the colour it's hard to get a good condition standard from the desirable years for under 1600, unless its a sunburst. Good luck with a CAR, Oly white or something more in demand. There's Reverb but then you're lookin at more charges too.

IMO the most sought after years for a Standard are from 2008ish to when they were replaced by the Pro. 90s strats can be had for considerably less, probably because the different, non original contour body shape, and the unpredictable body materials and swimming pool. Early 2000s are still cheaper but a tad more in demand than the 90s bulkers.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
It depends on where in Canada, which is a detail i left out. I've noticed things are substantially cheaper in small Ontario towns and in Quebec. I'm in Toronto now and, depending on the colour it's hard to get a good condition standard from the desirable years for under 1600, unless its a sunburst. Good luck with a CAR, Oly white or something more in demand. There's Reverb but then you're lookin at more charges too.

IMO the most sought after years for a Standard are from 2008ish to when they were replaced by the Pro. 90s strats can be had for considerably less, probably because the different, non original contour body shape, and the unpredictable body materials and swimming pool. Early 2000s are still cheaper but a tad more in demand than the 90s bulkers.
Yeah, I've tried to mention the higher GTA prices before and no one believes me.

It only matters what other places sell their stuff for if you're going to go there or willing buy sight unseen and pay for shipping. If you're like me, you want to lay hands/eyes on something before forking out the cash. Therefore what other areas are getting is useless info to me.

With that being said, that's more than I would spend personally.

Last edited:

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal
Yeah, I've tried to mention the higher GTA prices before and no one believes me.

It only matters what other places sell their stuff for if you're going to go there or willing buy sight unseen and pay for shipping. If you're like me, you want to lay hands/eyes on something before forking out the cash. Therefore what other areas are getting is useless info to me.

Yeah me too. Have never and likely will never buy a guitar without playing it first. I could drive out of town to pick up a guitar though. That definitely gets you a better deal.

Steve_2020

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 7, 2009
Cupertino
love the pewter EC Strats! I believe Clapton played that color for a few years (90s? 2000s?) so it’s kinda associated with him, tho not as much as Blackie or Brownie.

$2k Canadian seems to be about $1600 US which might be a bit high for a 2006 EC. I see used ECs for $12ish-$1500 US fairly regularly, tho availability, desired color etc may factor into things.

My EC Blackie is my co-#1 guitar. I love the soft V neck but like some others here, didn’t bond with the vintage frets. They were ‘ok’ and I get why EC likes em, can hear some slidey double-stops in his playing that they lend themselves to. My tech suggested 6105s (or 6100s i forget..) and they’re perfect for me.

I favor the bridge pickup and a taste or more of the active mid boost really helps make it a useable voice, nice thickener. Not a big fan of using this boost on other pickup positions as Clapton sometimes does, but whatever.

The tbx tone control doesn’t always get the attention it deserves imho. Its a passive but novel design (subtracting bass while allowing full highs) that can give you wonderful glistening tones. I actually bought my EC after hearing him in concert, getting some of those types of chimey tones on lower volume things..fills, arpeggiated chords etc. Didn’t get it for the EC solo tones, tho those can be pretty cool too.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

higher ASKING prices, not completed sale prices.....

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
higher ASKING prices, not completed sale prices.....
Of course. There's no way to know what a private sale price is. Asking prices are higher in the GTA than in other areas therefore the assumption is so are actual sale prices.

Private sale or retail you'd never get that guitar (in that condition) home for $1400 in the GTA these days.

Chicago Matt

Strat-O-Master
Sep 24, 2014
Woodstock
I bought my Clapton Stratocaster new in 2005. It's been my number 1 guitar ever since. The electronics take a bit to get used to, and to fully understand how they work. The vintage noiseless pickups from that era sound wonderful and, IMO, sound best at a lower height than what Fender suggests. I love my other Strats as well as a good Tele and 335, but no guitar is as versatile as the Clapton IMO. I will have to say that I knew I couldn't get along with vintage frets going in, but I bought it anyway. I'm very glad I did. Once I wore the vintage frets sufficiently to justify a refret, I did so. I shouldn't have waited! With Dunlop's narrow, tall 6105 frets, it's about as perfect for me as it gets. If anything ever happened to mine, I would immediately get another.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Of course. There's no way to know what a private sale price is. Asking prices are higher in the GTA than in other areas therefore the assumption is so are actual sale prices.

Private sale or retail you'd never get that guitar (in that condition) home for $1400 in the GTA these days.
wow I sold one in 2018 for $1100 including shipping to Montreal and a D'Addario 3 pack as compensation since I didn't have the trem arm....guitar and case were 9/10 or better....blackie....

Latest posts