2007 Stratocaster 7.25" neck radius

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by westies, Jun 28, 2020.

1. westies

westies Strat-Talk Member

just to add clarity, my luthier (tech by some definitions) took the opportunity to educate me on neck radius when I took it in to him for set up right after I bought it. I didn't even know the term neck radius till that day. I complained to him that big bends on the high frets were "fretting out" against adjacent strings. He suggested to refret with larger frets, which we did and that made a big difference. Thanks for all the feedback from the group, I appreciate it

2. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I didn't have trouble playing my Classic 50s with a vintage neck. I just didn't like the thinness, V shape or small frets (as I tend to wear them out). So, I put the neck on a HH body with swimming pool routing, and traded it. My Classic 50's body now has my favorite neck, attached.

[​IMG]

westies likes this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

Similarly I boiled it down to this. If I can't pay a well made and well setup instrument well I am doing it wrong.

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

I do a lot of bending (1 step, 1 1/2 steps, and sometimes 2 steps). There is no doubt that you have to use a slightly higher action to avoid fret outs in the upper register with a 7.25" neck than with a flatter radius. Physics apply. But it's not much and I don't like a super low action anyway. Fret height is the more important factor for bending comfort IMO. Plus with higher frets, you have room to adjust the radius somewhat with the fret dress if you want. In practice I don't find the 7.25" radius to be limiting. But I admit I hate the tiny, low vintage frets that come on many models with the vintage radius, especially for bending. My vintage radius guitars get medium jumbo or nice, tall 6105s eventually.

5. westies

Matt, thanks a bunch for the excellent reply, this is exactly what I was experiencing when I first played this guitar; it came with the low vintage frets, and I had the guitar set up with my usual low action. I was pushing the high E string underneath the adjacent B string, I had never experienced anything like that before! My luthier (or tech since he doesn't build guitars) recommended and installed the taller frets, and I'm on my way.
    This is the information I was looking for, thanks for not telling me I didn't know what I was talking about:)

Chicago Matt likes this.
  6. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

which means adjusting your fingering a lot as the scale length is longer on the Fender.
    I played mostly Gibson guitars but always bought a strat because, well, your supposed to have one. hated the 7.25 radius, as I could not get the action as low as I like. I find the 9.5 radius and larger frets a good compromise
    Maybe this is why Frank Marino butchered a SG with 3 strat single coils, before getting his custom designed and built stuff.
    I seem to do that on any guitar, that is one of my issues being self taught.

7. westies

thanks a bunch, all those guys play a lot better than I do:) I appreciate your compliment, I've never been compared to those players. Thanks!