2011 Am Std Neck Finish

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Dougeryb, Jun 27, 2020 at 12:41 PM.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

At what point in production would Fender lose track of bodies and have to tell the difference between a MIM and MIA one? And, in a hi tech manufacturing plant, woukd they seriously have to bore otherwise useless holes into them do it ?

2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I've been told there were 2 reasons - Fender starts doing this during the point in time when they didn't have a CNC router in Ensenada and they were rough-cutting all bodies and necks in the USA - it was a way to identify the bodies before they were finished and got the bar code stickers on them. And it's also for the "aftermarket" where people part out guitars and sell the bodies and necks - that way even if the bar code sticker was removed you could tell you have an MIM vs. a USA body.

Dougeryb and Wrighty like this.
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Sounds feasible but unprofessional!

Dougeryb likes this.
  4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

True; it seems to be one of those little oddball things that guitar companies do from time to time. I suppose that it was something Fender came up with 25-30 years ago that became part of their "lore" for lack of a better trem.

Dougeryb likes this.
  5. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-O-Master

Fender's version of penny loafers?

6. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

I have two holes on a 2012 Classic 50s body, with one being three times deeper than the other. I would guess that being a identifier or weight relief, would make more sense than being used for a CNC machine.