2013 American Standard Questions

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by axejock, Jul 8, 2021.

1. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I think that the name change to "American Series" was a bit of "marketing run amok" - I seem to recall some ad (or catalog) copy saying "we've made so many improvements we just can't call them "standard" any more", but since everyone still called them "American Standards" they just restored the name with the next "big update" in 2008 (which wasn't as "big" of an update as the one they did in 2000).

My take on the American Standard ---> American Professional transition: yes, this was both evolutionary and significant because it was a reasonably different neck shape change going to the "Deep C" from the "Modern C". I agree with @Baelzebub - the neck shape and fret size change altered the feel to me as well. While I preferred the neck shape used 2008-206 combined with the CS pickups used 2012-2016 there wasn't as drastic a difference between the neck feel of a 1988, a 1993, a 1999, a 2002, a 2008, and a 2013 as there was between the "Modern C" and the "Deep C".

JP68, axejock and Baelzebub like this.
  2. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

My '99 has the no load tone control too, FYI. :thumb:

JP68 and axejock like this.
  3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

axejock and John C like this.
  4. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

I have a 2000 American Series and it is great. I have learned a lot through researching and these forums. These guitars cover all kinds of ground. The Delta tone makes me feel like a rockstar even if I can't really play.

5. John C

Fender themselves is kind of sketchy on the date - they will send out spec sheets that say the no-load replaced the TBX in 1999, but it appears it happened toward the end of 1996/beginning of 1997 - the no load combined with the slightly hotter bridge pickup equals the "Delta Tone System".

6. Agtronic

Do the two Philips head screws on the bottom of the bridge pickup signify anything with respect to all of this?

axejock likes this.
  7. John C

I am not sure but I think so. I do know they changed the wire color - pre-Delta Tone the neck and bridge pickups both had white and blue wires (the middle had a white and red wire to denote it was RWRP); after the change to Delta Tone the bridge pickup has white and yellow wires.

axejock and Agtronic like this.
  8. Agtronic

Good info! I took off the pickguard on my '99 AM Standard for the first time last week. Was not sure what to expect.

axejock likes this.
  9. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn’t call it evolutionary, especially considering that most guys seem to dislike the Pro changes.
    My point is that Am std and Am Pro are essentially the good old standard model… US made, 2 point tremolo, 22 fret, standard pickups, modern wiring Strat…

axejock likes this.
  10. John C

Fair enough - but I used the term "evolutionary" meaning they changed the pickups, changed the wiring (no more no-load tone pot, added the treble bleed). I suppose these changes could be called "tweaks" instead of "evolution of the model" - with the "model" being US made, 2 point tremolo, 22 fret, standard pickups, modern wiring.

axejock likes this.
  11. jetedz

jetedz Strat-Talk Member

Beautiful guitar! I also have a 2013 Sierra Sunburst and love it.

axejock likes this.
  12. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Huh? On what planet?

axejock likes this.
  13. DeMelo

Do a search in most forums and you’ll notice

axejock likes this.
  14. nadzab

Can't really find anything - do you have some examples?

axejock likes this.
  15. DeMelo

There are several in this very forum

16. nadzab

At least tell me what search terms you're using. I'm just looking for the basis for the statement "Most guys seem to dislike the Pro changes." Sure there are criticisms, but where I'm seeing them, they're counterbalanced - if not outweighed - by positive opinions on the Pro and ProII.

17. DeMelo

Dude, are you serious? I'm not gonna take the time to do a search for someone else. If you doubt that there are many folks who prefer the American Standards (which is only natural, since it's been a highly appreciated series throughout decades and then Fender changed the neck and the pickups for something quite different), then just don't believe me. I couldn't care less :)

18. nadzab

No worries, man, I don't mean to sound argumentative but it did comes across that way. Apologies.

DeMelo likes this.
  19. DeMelo

My apologies to you too if I sounded harsh myself, i didn't mean to, really... Anyway just to finish this debate, it's like I said: if you browse this forum or other guitar boards alike, you'll probably see many people sticking to the good old specs, mostly because they're used to what their Am Stds gave them. Which doesn't mean that the Am Pro is inferior in any way, it's just different, especially tonewise because of the pickups. I'm pretty sure many other folks will prefer the Pro, this isn't a "which is the best" talk, after all...

Peace and love, brother.

nadzab likes this.