2015 vs 2016 American Standard Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mind Flayer, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

Played a 2015 american standard in a store yesterday that I liked. It is for sale at the same prices for the 2016 models. Is there any significant difference between the 2015 and 2016s?

2. sbradbury67

sbradbury67 Senior Stratmaster

3. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Nothing changed on the AmStd from 2015 to 2016 except maybe the selection of colors, and I'm not even sure that changed. Been the same since 2011.

4. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

Great, thanks!

5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I don't even think the colors have changed - the last new colors that came in were ocean blue metallic and bordeaux metallic. I have noticed that some colors have been dropped off the Fender website - like no more ocean blue metallic.

There is another thread that talks about the rumor that the American Standards are up for a major update and/or replacement for next year - like the American Elites replaced the American Deluxes this year.

6. BlkStrt

BlkStrt Strat-Talker

7. Josh248

Josh248 Strat-Talk Member

Do you have a link to that thread? I've heard that rumor as well from someone who says he knows about it through someone at Guitar Center.(questionable source I know)

8. John C

9. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Well in the thread it says the AM Std is to be discounted 20%, I'm not seeing that yet. The did introduce a new humbucker,the Shawbucker, last year .

This year the Mexican Deluxe were completely overhauled, and the American Deluxe was replaced by the Elite. I'm betting no changes to the Standards yet.

10. Josh248

Josh248 Strat-Talk Member

11. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The 2015 will become vintage one year before the 2016 ;)

12. John C

My best guess - a move to some of the American Elite features like the truss rod adjustment wheel and rounded neck heel on the body. But I would imagine they would keep the 9.5" radius and modern C neck shape (keeping the compound radius and "C-to-D" shape for the Elites), non-locking tuners, the Fat 50s pickups and the bent steel saddle bridge. The could of course just use the regular neck heel or the old-style contoured neck heel but still move to the wheel adjuster.

FMIC is using the wheel truss rod adjuster on several Charvel models (USA and MIM), and on all of the EVH models so I imagine they want to roll it out to more models.

13. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member

Specs? No. However there can be minor or even major differences within the same model guitar from unit to unit. Buy the one you like best.

14. otstratman

otstratman Strat-Talk Member

The Fender "American Standard" Stratocaster that Fender put out in 2012 to me is the ultimate version. I mean Fender "Custom Shop" FAT 50's pickup's, bent steel bridge saddles, and copper infused tremolo block were the upgrades I was waiting for. Sadly this version only lasted from 2012 to 2016. Now Fender has changed the Strat to the all new for 2017 Fender "American Professional" Stratocaster with the questionable "V-Mod" pickups, tall and thin fret wire, lack of a "no-load" tone control, and a bigger neck shape. Well, I suggest going to Musician's Friend and look at how many 2017 Strat's are offered as "open box" which means they were returned. Soon after the 2017 Strat's came out I saw a used one on the Guitar Center wall and then another. Plus, Fender is charging $50.00 more for Rosewood fretboards. I own a 2014 and I just snagged a 2016 off Ebay. Get the 2012-2016's while you can. The 2016 is Sienna ' P6102781.JPG P4172605.JPG Burst.

nederemer likes this.
  15. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Fabulous!

16. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

That's not indictment on the ampros. There are tons of people who dislike the old standards, myself included. I had a 2007 American series, disliked it so much I traded it for a loss. I love the new ampros, waiting on new color options.

17. otstratman

Hey Yogi,
    I completely understand. I tend to get over excited regarding guitars that suit my style and needs without the need for any modifications. The 2017 Fender American Professional Stratocaster is definitely a more "Traditional" Stratocaster. Something for everyone. Best Wishes and good luck.

18. otstratman

This is my one and only 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sunburst Maple Neck just like the original 1954's finish and neck wood. I loved all of my Strat's but the fact of the matter is I really truly only need one Strat so the Strat's above have been sold.

Attached Files:

19. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Pickups changed to custom shop fat 50s in 12.