2017 MIM Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ceviche Lover, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Ceviche Lover

Ceviche Lover New Member!

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've only been playing acoustic for about 5 months or so but getting a little bored of it and deciding to switch over to electric. I just purchased a new 2017 MIM Stratocaster in Arctic White with maple fretboard. Ordered it last week and have been obsessively tracking it on the UPS site, should be getting it tomorrow. I've also got several mods to ready to go for it, ill post some pics when it's all done. They include:

Upgrade to bone nut

Fender locking tuners

Backplate and pickguard replace to 'pearl white'

Pure Vintage 60s Stratocaster accessority kit(pickup covers, volume/tone knob replacements/pickup selector tip replacement)

Purure Vintage 65 strat pickups

Yes I realize this is too much for a beginner, but since I am getting a full setup along with it I don't want to have to take it in again to have this work done. Will post pics when it is complete(in case anyone with a similar strat want to know how this looks).

Thanks!

BTW this is just a Standard strat.

2. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing.

Welcome on board..[emoji106]

Tinkering before you get your mits on it, welcome to the “All of my guitars are different club”

3. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I mod mine too.

Honestly though, getting the pickups already was a bad idea. What if you play the stock ones, don't like them, install the new ones and don't like them for the same reasons?
    Before you open them and ruin the chances of ever returning them, play stock for a bit and see what you're missing.
    Maybe you won't even be missing anything and save 200$ in the end?

Also, what amp are you playing through?

brazil66, arcticstrat, Neil.C and 5 others like this.
  4. stingx

stingx Strat-Talker

It's crazy to buy mods in advance without even playing your new guitar for a while. You just got into playing, it would seem. Spend your time learning to actually PLAY than worrying about anything else. I often get pissed by how much **** is available to guitarists today as opposed to when I was a kid just starting out then I realize how have much less forced me to get good at what I had.

tmcgee, techowiz, arcticstrat and 2 others like this.
  5. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Welcome!
    I agree with @TangerineDog about the pickups. I would give the stock pups a chance first. The locking tuners are mandatory imo but the nut might not be also not a good idea a this point unless you have someone that knows how to it, but even with that bear in mind that it’s not that necessary at this point.
    Congrats on your strat!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  6. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

You did the same exact thing as me and bought basically the same Strat too.

May of 2015 I took of the guitar, wife bought me a Martin Acoustic which I played for months. Started when I was 44 years old.

My first electric guitar was an FSR Tele but really wanted a Strat.

In June of 2016 I bought a 2012 MIM Artic White HSS Strat which I turned into a Pete Thorn Suhr Clone.

It has Suhr Pete Thorn "Thornbucker Plus" humbucker in the bridge, Suhr V60LP Single Coils in the neck / middle position, Fender Locking Tuners, TusqXL Nut, Obsidian Wiring Harness (solderless with CTS 250K POTS / Blend Knob & Treble Bleed) and more.

You should post pics of yours.

Here is mine.

[​IMG]Strat 1 by , on Flickr

7. TangerineDog

From what I read around here, he's only just ordered the basics. Yeah, it's a lot, and I don't believe locking tuners are the mutt's proverbial nuts (those are the vintage tuners), but if you want something, you're not happy 'til you get it. If it turns out to suck then you aren't happy either, but at least you don't have to wonder...

But tinkering and playing aren't mutually exclusive. I, for example, have as much fun trying to get new sounds as I have hearing them when I play.

Spend that time playing, you tell me?
    Sure, and the time I spend reading or going outside or visiting a gallery or listening to music that's already been recorded, should I just stop all that, too?
    Should I just stop doing everything I enjoy except playing guitar more because then I won't have as much to distract me?

Doesn't work like that, does it?
    And like a model train or whatever others spend their time tinkering with, I tinker with my guitars - which I play when I play..
    Costs me playing time the same way going to the cinema does.
    But it makes my guitars sound better (especially that pearloid pickguard made a huge impact).

Ebidis, Fuzzpop, The-Kid and 5 others like this.
  8. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Strat-O-Master

Why not put all that money towards an American strat instead? You'll get all the upgrades and have a much higher resale value. You can get a mint condition used American Standard in the 700-800 dollar range. You'll lose a lot if you decide to sell the MIM but the US strat you will make all your $ back if you want to sell it and try something else.

9. TangerineDog

Yeah, resale value on anything under an AM Special is a joke, and nearly non-existant if it's not stock.
    Parting it out again would work if it's modded would help, though.
    But let's assume for a moment you don't buy a guitar with the Intention of selling it again.

Then, an American made Strat might not be the best option because a) maybe the specs just didn't feel as good. Or maybe you just don't like the 2 Point bridge.
    When I last played an AM Std, there was nothing about that guitar that would have made me take it sooner than an MIM Std.

And b) if you want to mod your guitar, you don't buy one that's got everything you want it to have. If you want to start painting, do you buy a painting, hang it on your wall and think 'Man, that was fun, doing all that myself!', do you?

electroplasmolog and fattboyzz like this.
  10. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to S-T!! Looking forward to the pics.

Polarbear likes this.
  11. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Strat-O-Master

Hes been playing for five months. Is it more likely he will keep the guitar forever or that he finds something else he likes? There are a lot more affordable ways in the long run to own a great strat- the market is flooded with used strats in great condition and baby boomers are unloading vintage gear at unprecedented rates. Why buy a brand new MIM at 625 when they go for 300 in mint condition? The setup will be hit or miss on either and surely learning to setup the guitar properly should be a priority.

elliotj26 and fattboyzz like this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

And at the end of the day, it will still be an MIM standard. Just play the thing and save your money.

Tussinland, Dave J, Neil.C and 3 others like this.
  13. Xcaster

Xcaster Strat-Talker

Yes, But it will be his MIM standard..........
    Mod Away !!!!!

nateparso, elliotj26 and Hash McBrown like this.
  14. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

First, congrats on the new strat!

Second, may it is because that's not how my world works, but I think you are putting the carriage before the horse here... if you know what I mean. I'd not just buy in advance all kinds of "upgrade" parts just because other people have told me to. MIM strats are not toys, they are nice instruments. Of course there are better instruments, there are better strats than american strats too.

I'd wait to have my strat in my hands. Play it, know it, like what you like about it, learn what you dont like about it, whats lacking, only then go shopping for upgrades. To me thats the shortests path to feeling at home with your strat, not just buy a bunch of stuff cause forums say yo.

My strat is MIM, artcic white, just like yours one rosewood. I had it for a long time before I decided to mod it, but that time I knew I needed thinner but no so thin pickups, and I wanted to stay in tune when using the bar, so new nut. I commited the same mistake as you thinking that locking tuners would be a huge improvement on that regard, and the are not.

Just my 2 cents here, hope you enjoy your strat!!!

15. TangerineDog

I still have all my guitars :D
    Granted, I started with a 60€ Yamaha Acoustic and moved on to a 300€ Squier (which is a cr*pton of money for all but guitar standards), but I only buy guitars I know are right - or I know I can make right. Unfortunately, a used mint MIM for 300$ (about 250$) this side of the Atlantic is nothing but wishful thinking...
    Now waaait... I just remembered the OP hasn't even played that Strat yet.

Well, I guess just like with trousers, you can send it back if you don't like it...

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Better off spending the money on lessons. Mods aren't going to make a player with 6 months under his blet sound or play any better.

17. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

Congratulations on your new guitar. The MIM Standard is a really nice guitar just as it is. I would play it awhile before you do anything. Keep the things you bought and mod it only if you aren't happy. I have an American Standard which I love but have 3 MIM Standards and a CV. The guitars are great for modding but enjoy it stock for awhile.

18. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

I've never quite gotten that. If I buy a new MIM Standard, it's about $600. I might get $300-$400 in resale, selling directly. That's a $200-$300 loss.

If I buy a new MIA Am Pro, it's about $1400. I might get $800-$900 selling used. Perhaps I'd get lucky and sell it for $1000. Either way, it's a $400-$600 depreciation, about double the MIM.

If I buy either of them used and don't overpay, the dollar loss should be minimal buying and selling used, but the MIM puts a lot less money at risk.

Or just buy what you want to play and keep the damn thing.

19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Congrats on your new Fender Stratocaster !

Hash McBrown likes this.
  20. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Strat-Talker

Welcome to the board and congrats on the new purchase. We will all want and expect photos!