2017 MIM Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ceviche Lover, Jan 22, 2018.

1. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

That's what I do :D

knh555 likes this.
  2. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nice one!! Just a word , I've had my mim for 17 years, never changed a thing, don't get caught up in the mod thing yet , learn to play and enjoy, leave your new baby stock, long way to go before you need or want to change anything. HNGD

Dave J and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

I gotta confess, the longer I think about it, the less I get why the OP wants to mod his Strat.

I knew when I bought my Tele that I wanted it to have a bluesy, warm sound. The stock pups just had a metallic sound about them I couldn't get rid of.
    So I put Duncan AlNiCo 2 Pros in, the HB in the neck. That was after doing some research and asking around here which pickups were likely to sound mellow.

Looking back, I think I needn't have changed the pots to CTS ones, but hey, that's when I learned to solder, so no regrets.

My Gretsch is awesome as is, she's 99% stock - I need to change the strings once in a while after all.

My Strat? I didn't like the mushy bass and acted accordingly.

Point is, I never tried to fix a problem that wasn't right in front of me.

So overall, I should dampen my enthusiasm for modding and stress this like y'all are doing: MIMs don't need modding!

Except for the tuners, these modern things with the pointy ends are hell to string up!

stratomatt and brians like this.
  4. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

It sounds to me like you have a plan. You want a Strat with a 60's vibe. I guess some of the other members are right in that pickup covers, volume/tone knob replacements/pickup selector tip replacement aren't going to improve the sound or resale value but if it's what you want go for it. At 36 you're old enough to make your own decisions and I'd also guess that the little bit you're going to spend on mods probably isn't going to change your standard of living a whole lot one way or the other.

Enjoy your new Strat. :thumb::thumb:

railroadman likes this.
  5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I've had my mim a couple years now. Only thing I changed was the p/g. It's great. I might put in locking tuners but that's just because I'm lazy

6. Ceviche Lover

Ceviche Lover New Member!

Absolutely I want a 60s vibe with it, I'm a big fan of Hendrix/SRV/Buddy Guy/Buddy Holly. Also I'm aware changing the pick guard/knobs/pickup covers isn't going to improve tone, not even sure why people would assume I would think that. It's strictly for cosmetic purposes.

Also someone asked why didn't I buy a used American, first off its a 300-400 more. Secondly and most importantly I don't want to wait around for a Mint Arctic White/Maple fret board to pop up somewhere on EBay or Craigslist. I'm dead set on that combo. Plus, I don't feel the extra fret, 2 point bridge, better stock pickups, and a few other things are worth the premium, just my opinion since I only play at home. Also I disagree with the whole resale argument. A new American standard Strat runs what, 1100-1200? If you decide to sell it, you can expect to remove at least $200 from whatever you paid for it when it was new. This Strat cost me 510 shipped to my door(mentioned I bought it from GC but actually bought it from Adorama, got them to pricematch GC's 15% off coupon, plus Adorama has no tax in my state). If I decide to sell it I can easily sell it for at lease 300, maybe 350 tops while bring it back to stock and using the aftermarket stuff on a American model if that's what I want in the future.

Also I understand the whole 'cart before the horse argument' but this extra stuff really wasn't that much. The pickups were $100 on Amazon and the rest of the stuff was another $100. No biggie.

I picked it up this morning and have been playing for about 3 hours, love it so far.

BTW someone asked which amp I'm using, I purchased a new Mesa Boogie Mark V combo recently.....................

Just kidding it is a Yamaha THR10.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

you did good. i have 2 of the mim standards and they are awesome. if you want to change stuff right out of the gate, go for it. its yours and you can do what you want to it. i think its cool that you already know what you want.
    but they ARE already great stock. the only thing ive done to them is changed the string trees.

Hash McBrown and railroadman like this.
  8. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Great amp btw, especially for what you're doing.

9. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

Hello and Welcome! To each his own, and mod away to your heart's content, but... If it were me I'd hold off on changing the pickups and the tuners. IIRC this is your first electric guitar. That means, respectfully, "you don't know what you don't know." It sounds like you've done a lot of good research, but dang, don't be in such a hurry. The MIM standard strats are very good instruments stock. You could never upgrade it and it would be fine forever. Personalizing it with cosmetics is fine, and you can't go wrong with a bone or tusq nut. But honestly, you might really like the stock pickups. If not, check out Rose pickups or other types to see what's out there. Locking Tuners? Been there, done that. I wasn't thrilled with them. And they are a bit heavy for me. Your guitar will stay in tune if you know how to put the strings on properly and stretch them out. A lot of people (me included) prefer vintage tuners with the spit shaft that you put the end of the string in. Sorry for the rant. :) If you end up modding, I truly hope it makes the difference you were hoping for. If you want to sell the MIM stock pups and tuners at some point, put an add here and I or someone else here will gladly take them off your hands. (Or you may end up finding a Squier on craigslist for $60 and decide to park your old pups and tuners there for a spell. :D)

10. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

Hey, Go ahead and Mod... Do what you want to do...

11. Ceviche Lover

Thanks, I really like the battery powered feature as I can carry it around the house cordless.

12. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

They're nice for recording too.

13. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome to Strat-Talk.

Did you get the guitar? We want pics!

Hash McBrown likes this.
  14. Ceviche Lover

Yes sir, ill post some pics once it is all done.

johnnymg likes this.
  15. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I can't fault the OP for wanting to swap out the pickups if a more vintage tone was what he was seeking. The MIM pickups have gotten better over the years, but they're still along from vintage in terms of "cleans".

The-Kid likes this.
  16. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but can we stop this train of thought?

I personally dislike everyone assuming that people buy guitars to sell them down the line. Sure, it’s nice as a “failsafe” sell. But anytime we bring up MIA vs MIM, the argument now is solely based on resale value. Does everyone really care that much? Everyone who plays around me keeps their guitars.

If there’s nothing else besides resale value, why even bring it up? Just tell people what’s different between the two specs wise and let them pick.

Sorry for the rant, but this thread was about a MIM Strat and you immediately started on this post about resale value and MIA..

Hash McBrown and The-Kid like this.
  17. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Yes - agreed. MIM pups are still a bit hot.

Last thing I need on my Strat is a set of vintage pups.

18. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Really OP I say mod it.

The 65 pups will do you wonders!!!!

Everything else you said is just for aesthetics IMO.

The tuners should be find but if you want get Schaller locking but other than that your fine.

Also dont listen to the guys who are talking about resale value and "at the end of the day its still a Mexican".....

Trust me the 65 pups will make this baby a cut above any MIM or even any MIA of the wall.

Im all for the 65 pups, nut upgrade, tuners.

If it makes you feel better.

You really cant go wrong with the 65s best pup set IMO next to 69s.

Ceviche Lover and Hash McBrown like this.
  19. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

If you wanted a '60's vibe to your Strat I would have thought a MIM Classic '60's model would be the way to go.

20. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Yeah pretty much this.

Like all makes sense and all OP but it kind of doesnt when you have a Classic Series.

Idk id say send it back and get that instead. Save the trouble of everything else and for sure get that 60s vibe.

I know where you can get a Rosewood model to.

Like you could upgrade the stuff.....but its just a modern spec wanting to sound like a vintage spec.

With a Classic Series your there.

Neil.C likes this.