2019 Gibson models

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by JB74, Sep 7, 2018.

1. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

I'm glad that it has been pointed out or I'd have forgotten - the prices are darn crazy.

I mean, seriously, are they like 'If only one sucker buys a guitar this year, that'll fix our bankruptcy!'?
    American workmanship is expensive, I know, but what good does that when those American workers end up without a job because nobody wanted to buy the purple micro-PC 3000$ 30lbs guitars they had built?

GoldenEagle0308 and johnnymg like this.
  2. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

I wish gibson would make an Avengers themed LP. I'd pay big money for that. [emoji6]

3. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Dibs on the Hawkeye one!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

A picture on the body of hawkeye pulling back his bow so the neck looks like the arrow would be awesome!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. semka

semka Strat-Talk Member

They are using richlite on SG Standard HP now. Carbon fiber pickups and nylon strings are next.

abnormaltoy and JB74 like this.
  6. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

Well, they could have models with all the switching, but they shouldn't be the Standard, IMO.

I had a Trad Pro 3T LP with push/pulls for coil splits, coil selector, and a boost circuit for a couple of weeks and could not get a good tone out of it. It just sounded kinda dead... Made me wonder if all that wiring was killing the tone....

abnormaltoy, dante1963 and circles like this.
  7. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

It’s not something I would be interested in buying just like their auto tuning system they came out with. I have no problem with them offering these guitars in their lineup but I don’t think they should be messing with their flagship standard LP model, leave it be. Re name these new modern models whatever they want but don’t change the standard. Didn’t Fender basically do this to their Am Standard Strat, what are they thinking?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have push pull pots (just two) on my LP Studio Deluxe, and I never use them. I have an S1 on my Baja Tele, which I love, and I never use the S1 switch.

My issue with putting all those switches and a circuit board in the so-called Les Paul "Classic" is that A: while they say leaving all of them down is "classic '50's wiring" I have my doubts--but I could be wrong--and more importantly B: that model is $100 more expensive than it was last year. and it wasn't cheap last year. How much of that increase is paying for circuitry I'll never use?

Just like those idiotic robo tuners that added around $300 to the price of every instrument and that very, very, few of us wanted. Which is borne out by the fact that Gibson and the company that made the tuners are now suing each other over them.

Gibson is being run by morons.

They are in bankruptcy, and they think THIS is going to fix it. (Yeah, yeah, along with selling all those dumb subsidiaries that they should have been smart enough not to buy in the first place.)

Gibson's leadership--like far too many other companies these days--couldn't care less about making a quality product. They care about "enhancing shareholder value."

And I'm also, so, so very tired at hearing how it's the American workers who are to blame for the high prices. All across the country, over the last two decades, the average salary of American workers have gone up by a fraction compared to the salaries of their employers.

The people to blame for the troubles of Gibson are not the men and women who build the instruments and who are just trying to support their families, but are the responsibility of Henry and his board of directors who are only interested in their huge salaries, massive bonuses, the brand name's "prestige" (which is becoming a joke) and the stockholders. Henry saying he wanted "Gibson" to be the equivalent of saying "Rolex" was actually nauseating to me.

Again, the annoying thing, is that I'm probably going to fall for it and actually buy one of the damn things.

AfroBill, Elmo, Strat Jacket and 3 others like this.
  9. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-O-Master

I hear ya.... I don't have push/pull pots on my Les Paul, which I prefer. However, I do have the S1 switch on my Tele, which never gets used. I like the single coil sound and it's the reason I bought a Tele.

abnormaltoy and dante1963 like this.
  10. Taurus

Taurus Strat-Talk Member

My thoughts are that I wish the prices were lower so I could afford one.

11. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

One thing I will mention for the sake of it -

the 2018 SG standard I bought a couple of months ago had a large card tag with the caption "1 year warranty on all Gibson 2018 models"

That might be enough to put anyone off purchasing. Not sure if it comes in the 2019 models, but my 2017 has Gibson's lifetime warranty, so wtf gives with the 1 year bull****?

Justforshitz can suck my....

Bob the builder and Taurus like this.
  12. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

And yet you still keep buying his guitars?;)

13. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

They're not "his" guitars, they are made by normal people who, like ourselves, need to feed and clothe families.

Justforshitz won't be there soon, and his 'management policies' have been widely criticized in the past by all and sundry - many employees who speak out are crucified for their right to free speech. That's not good management, or a sign of a healthy company.

Warranty? what warranty? It's a lamearse corporate policy change. It doesn't mean the product's quality should be brought into question because a piece of paper says 1 year warranty. It's about the corporate assholes who want to limit their liability and weasel their way out of product support. THAT is a definite WTF.

My critique is more a WTF is with the change in warranty, because the guitars haven't changed, so why should the warranty, unless there is an issue with corporate liability, and they can't cover their perceived forecast of warranty claim payments to authorized service centres.
    Guitar quality issues? No. Nothing wrong with mine at all.

Gibson's Lifetime limited warranty always was peace of mind, and remains so. I have never had any issues with any of my Gibsons, and hopefully it stays that way - but it is reassuring, that should a truss rod snap or a heel crack, or a fretboard separate, that the warranty will cover the repair cost and I will still have a playable instrument.

It's questioning the management policy changes, not the people who make the products.

The difference is, when you're paying 2.5K for a new Gibson, the limited lifetime warranty is absolute peace of mind, should something go horribly wrong. a 1 year warranty implies that the company is not interested in customer loyalty or supporting the customer. That is concerning. It is a signal that Gibson's corporate mentality is changing for the worse and they don't give a flying V about their customers or the products they sell, so long as they sell product.

I expect the SG will never give me any issues. It is finished to an incredibly high standard - every bit as good as or better than an LP Custom. so I have no issues with the product and would happily purchase another of the same quality. I always carefully scrutinize an instrument, so if it meets my expectations, it should do so for many years. It's the things you can't see which may give rise to concern down the track, but the lifetime warranty covered those things. Now, it's a 1 year deal.

The justfullofshitz corporate a-hole pissfest dictatorship needs to come to an abrupt end. Preferably yesterday.

dante1963 likes this.
  14. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

I want a gold top at some point.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I don't give a flip about the electronics. Between the Studio, Classic, Traditional, and Standard, there is something to fit most anyone.

If I don't like the electronics in a guitar, I will replace them. Not a big deal.

However, IMHO, the Blueberry Burst and the Sea Foam Green are totally fugly. Apparently the guy in charge of colors at Gibson is vision impaired.

16. roger@pennyflic

[email protected] Senior Stratmaster

Yeah,yeah but that Gibson Les Paul Junior Tribute Doublecut 2019 really floats my boat. And at $799 :thumb:

As for lifetime guarantees, well who's lifetime ?. Mine, Gibsons, the guy that sold me the guiar ?. I'd like to see someone's effort to get a guitar replaced 40 years after buying it.:oops:

and just remember folks, verbal agreements are not worth the paper they are written on ..:p

17. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

"Electronics"...What's wrong with a pair of PAF humbuckers wired to a 3 position switch, a pair of volume and tone pots, an output jack and a couple feet of wire, I wonder?
    Seemed to do OK for a lot of the guys whose sound I really admire...
    There is no 'active circuitry' on any of my Fenders and they sound just fine to me What's next...a guitar that plays itself? Gibson needs to go back to producing the instruments that Epiphone is apparently producing now. Duh!

18. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Gibsons are overpriced pieces of wood. I would take an elite Strat (or American vintage or original ) in Ebony or rosewood over every single Gibson guitar in their catalog, 2019 2018 or 20-whatever.

Their prices are only justified by the fact that they label themselves as "Premium" guitars , sure you can label yourself what've you want, and then charge whatever you want but that doesn't actually mean the instruments are good or even playable or useful. I have yet to come across a single New Gibson that I actually really liked and wanted to pull the trigger on other than one of their acoustic blues tributes , seriously Gibson should just stick to acoustics

Maybe there was a time when Gibson actually made good guitars and even then jimmy page even still had to have one that the neck was shaved down and totally modded basically, so it wasn't even A Gibson any more

If you want an instrument that you can actually play don't get a Gibson

They can say "it's a good guitar" "it's a fine instrument" "it's a premium Elite instrument" and then charge $4000 for it but that doesn't make it an actual good instrument, not in actual reality, not for people who actually want To play and perform on aregular basis

They need to get their heads out of the sand dude ! It's almost laughable, making 12 pound guitars with dip switches and tunomatic crap and lock-in tuners

Gibson I know you are reading this right now--- so listen--- make a normal guitar that weighs 8 pounds, put some time and effort into it, get some real musicians to play it and then go from there

Keep it simple, spin off your crappy epiphane company, all it does is cheapen your brand--- it doesn't strengthen it. You own both companies!--- it's hard to differentiate yourself from YOURSELF!

:)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    billybuck and Strat Jacket like this.
  19. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

Most of the Epi's I've played lately play and sound as good as the Gibsons, without the premium price tag and a PC board stuffed under the pups.

cshere, JB74 and abnormaltoy like this.
  20. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

I understand some of what's been said here and in other posts...but, as for the push/pull pots, I'll go with Jimmy Page. Some people like him and he had switches everywhere. It might be they wanted to give the push pull crowd what they want, but not in the top of the line guitar...Me, I'd snatch 'em all out. They are really nice guitars.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Strat Jacket likes this.