2019 MIJ Aerodyne Strat - Sunburst & Crimson

RMClem

New Member!
Mar 30, 2019
Detroit
Hi everyone -

Lurker turned member! I was hoping to get your opinions on the Aerodyne series guitars.

(I can't post a link as this is my first post... go to Fender's website and search "Aerodyne"). Maybe someone else can post the link? :)

My local shop just got two of these, one of each color, and they are BEAUTIFUL. Both of them felt extremely well made and sounded like Stratocasters (although a bit warmer probably due to the basswood). I had been thinking of getting a Professional Strat but the Aerodyne compared more favorably in my opinion. The owner told me they were only getting 2 guitars in as there were just over 200 of each color made worldwide.

So my question is: there have been runs of these before... owners, what is your opinion? Also I see the pickups are "Standard Single-Coil Strat"... are these ceramic? Made in Japan? I can't find much info on these (although they do sound good IMO).

I want to get out there and snag one before they're gone!

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
Hi everyone -

Lurker turned member! I was hoping to get your opinions on the Aerodyne series guitars.

(I can't post a link as this is my first post... go to Fender's website and search "Aerodyne"). Maybe someone else can post the link? :)

My local shop just got two of these, one of each color, and they are BEAUTIFUL. Both of them felt extremely well made and sounded like Stratocasters (although a bit warmer probably due to the basswood). I had been thinking of getting a Professional Strat but the Aerodyne compared more favorably in my opinion. The owner told me they were only getting 2 guitars in as there were just over 200 of each color made worldwide.

So my question is: there have been runs of these before... owners, what is your opinion? Also I see the pickups are "Standard Single-Coil Strat"... are these ceramic? Made in Japan? I can't find much info on these (although they do sound good IMO).

I want to get out there and snag one before they're gone!

Are these new models?? Or older ones?

You would have to obtain serial numbers and then type them into Fender's online database to be sure, but usualy 'standard single coil Strat' is a ceramic magnet pickup.....

Welcome to the forum!!

https://www.fender.com/product-registration/serial-search

blille

Strat-Talker
Platinum Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2016
California
Only thing I would be mindful of is the fretboard radius. MIJ tends to be 7.25. If that's your jam, great.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
Thanks guys. Released in 2019, MFG date is 2018. These are most definitely an FSR.

Then 100% for sure the pickups are ceramic......and to me modern Fender Japan stuff is WAY WAY overpriced for what you get. You can get Mexico models with much better pickups and specs for the same price or less.....

It's those shipping to the USA and import to the USA fees that drive the price up.....

RMClem

New Member!
Mar 30, 2019
Detroit
Then 100% for sure the pickups are ceramic......and to me modern Fender Japan stuff is WAY WAY overpriced for what you get. You can get Mexico models with much better pickups and specs for the same price or less.....

It's those shipping to the USA and import to the USA fees that drive the price up.....

Thanks for the info. Are newer MIJ guitars losing their reputation for good quality, rivaling MIA guitars? I was extremely impressed by the build quality of the Aerodyne.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
Thanks for the info. Are newer MIJ guitars losing their reputation for good quality, rivaling MIA guitars? I was extremely impressed by the build quality of the Aerodyne.

100% yes. They are great build quality but they skimp on things like electronics pickups hardware etc.....to me Fender Japan was only in 'on par' kind of territory from 1982-1994.......

You get much less 'bang for the buck' with Fender Japan modern production stuff.....I'm not saying they're not great because they are, but for the price you're paying you should have full size pots, alnico pickups, etc.....

RMClem

New Member!
Mar 30, 2019
Detroit
100% yes. They are great build quality but they skimp on things like electronics pickups hardware etc.....to me Fender Japan was only in 'on par' kind of territory from 1982-1994.......

You get much less 'bang for the buck' with Fender Japan modern production stuff.....I'm not saying they're not great because they are, but for the price you're paying you should have full size pots, alnico pickups, etc.....

Thanks! Sounds like a Performer is more up my alley. Not wanting ceramics.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal

Ya... I wish Fender would just sell the Aerodyne bodies and let us stuff them.

sonny wolf

Most Honored Senior Member
Aug 7, 2009
austin texas
I saw the same two models you described in a local store here in Austin(Austin vintage guitars).Cool guitars for someone shopping for a different looking and feeling sort of Strat but really not my cup of tea visually.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I saw the same two models you described in a local store here in Austin(Austin vintage guitars).Cool guitars for someone shopping for a different looking and feeling sort of Strat but really not my cup of tea visually.
You had to tell me that.
My folks live in Leander

LOSTVENTURE

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 15, 2007
CHARLOTTE, NC
The Aerodyne has been in constant production in Japan since they were first introduced here in the states.
That's if you can believe what I've been following on Ebay for several years now. New ones have been available for at least the last 6 years, based on my searches.

eclecticsynergy

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 23, 2014
NY
Cool, I had no idea they were still making Aerodynes.
My Aerodyne Tele is an '06; I thought production had ceased shortly after that.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
It looks like all that's available now is the black Jazz bass and red Strat.
You can go to Fender's site and search for "Aerodyne" and they both show up (out of stock). That matches what seems to be available new on eBay.

balston11

Senior Stratmaster
May 8, 2013
Preston UK
Cool, I had no idea they were still making Aerodynes.
My Aerodyne Tele is an '06; I thought production had ceased shortly after that.
No they were producing them up until 2016 when they launched the Japan Exclusive Aerodynes they lasted into 2017. Then in 2018 they produced an FSR before the current FSR FMT Aerodyne which still seems to show as available on the Fender site. It's not a proper Aerodyne it doesn't have a matching headstock. Details of all models are on my web site.