2020 a year of significance for Fender Enthusiasts?

Ladladson52

Strat-Talker
Jan 11, 2022
Colorado
Some years are very important to we Fender folk. 1965 was one - CBS took over Fender. 1983 could was another - Fender employees bought fender back.

What about 2020?

Will guitars made prior to 2020 be more highly regarded than those made after?

I personally doubt that there will be any change in quality - but will people insist that there is?

I'm not above this kind of irrational thinking. To me, Fender guitars peaked in quality and offerings between 2008 and 2010.

What are your thoughts?

PlayerOne

Strat-Talker
Jan 29, 2022
Charlotte, nc
It's all purely speculative. The only proof I have concerning Fender's quality through the years is my personal colletion. I have Fenders dating from 1956 up to 2017, and they are all incredible. I can only hope that quality control is a key for years to come.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
No? I don’t think there has been a really significant year in decades. Unlike in the early years, where every 5 years was a completely new era in design and style, and sometimes ownership.

Fender’s basically doing the same thing they’ve been doing for about 30 years now.

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Some years are very important to we Fender folk. 1965 was one - CBS took over Fender. 1983 could was another - Fender employees bought fender back.

What about 2020?

I personally doubt that there will be any change in quality - but will people insist that there is?

I'm not above this kind of irrational thinking. To me, Fender guitars peaked in quality and offerings between 2008 and 2010.

What are your thoughts?
Maybe I'm naive, but what is significant about 2020?

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta

What about 2020?

What are your thoughts?

If we could all predict the future maybe you’d get a answer. I think maybe you just stopped looking after 2008-2010? All kinds of great stuff out there. The 2012-2017 vintage reissue I find to be the best production fenders out there. Maybe I’m just insisting this but that’s how I feel. I’d rather have one of those over my 2010 vintage reissue.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City

What about 2020?

What are your thoughts?

One correction - Fender was purchased by the management team in 1985, not 1983.

But as for 2020 - I think it's just a year where world events caused the production to be lower than in previous years, not a critical point in time for the company.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
It might be a big year for some. I have certain years that I check for, different for particular guitars.

RL21980

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 10, 2014
Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy...
Duds and gems in every year or era. Even the "forsaken 70's". Seen what a "norlin" era Les Paul Custom is going for nowadays? It's mental. Widely considered sub par quality trash 15-20 years ago. Perception is reality.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK

What are your thoughts?

Deleted. Asked, question asked and answered before!

wblynch

Strat-Talker
Nov 25, 2020
Mission Viejo, Calif.
from what I’ve seen and heard, MIM Fenders from 2020 and 2021 seem to have substandard fretwork. Could be from production problems. I haven’t heard anything about 2022 models yet.