"21 MARZ 1989" American Standard?!?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by petruz, Nov 4, 2009.

1. petruz

petruz Strat-Talk Member

Hi to all, this is my first post here.
    I have the possibility to buy a (supposedly) 1989 American Standard strato, the neck seems ok but in the body neck socket there's a strange stamp that says "21 MARZ 1989" (see photo). The body has the swimming pool hole. Any ideas if it can be original?
    Thanks a lot.
    P.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. johnner72

johnner72 Strat-Talker

My '87 US Standard is dated exactly the same way, yet my '88 Standard has no markings in the neck pocket or on the base of the neck. The swimming pool route was used until the Standards were revamped in 2000 to the H/S/H layout. I'd go for that Standard, I like the Vintage White finish.

3. petruz

petruz Strat-Talk Member

Hi johnner, thanks for your kind reply. I didn't understand well: your '87 is dated exactly the same way, but where? do you mean at the neck or at the body?
    About the colour: it seems more creamy than white, like a Dan Smith. Thats one of my faves among stratocasters, along with all the "refrigerator" light colours.

4. Outlier73

Outlier73 Strat-O-Master

Vintage white is more yellow than white. It's supposed to represent the color of an old Olymic white strat with a yellowed nitro clear coat. (clear coat will "yellow" over time.) Some people also call it bannana pudding.

5. petruz

petruz Strat-Talk Member

ah ok, that's it. So it's a Vintage White. But I'm still concerned about the date on the body... the day prior to the month? It has a latin accent to me.

6. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

That date stamp does look a little odd as you say - the non-US format (dd-month-yyyy) and "Marz" -is that German for March?

The other thing that looks strange is the pickguard with the "eclipse" that would normally be found on a vintage-style Strat with the truss rod adjustment at the heel end. Could have been retrofitted onto an Am Std though I guess.

7. johnner72

johnner72 Strat-Talker

Hi Petruz, I'm sorry if I confused you in anyway. I took some pics of my '87 US Standards neck pocket and neck heel for you.

If you look at the neck pocket, you'll see it's dated "American" style,
    MM-DD-YY, but it's dated twice, 08-18-87, and very faintly, 08-26-87.
    Oddly enough, the date on the neck heel is in the "American" style,
    MM-DD-YY, 08-21-87, but it's marked in pencil. The neck is in gloss poly, as opposed to the satin poly on my '88 Standard. Could the "European" dating systen on your Strat denote it as an "export" model? I've read that Export models had a different serial number system. Hope this was of any help.

Attached Files:

8. TexBiker

TexBiker Strat-O-Master

Marzo is Spanish for March. I worked in Mexico for a semester when I was in college and it was often abbreviated to Marz. Considering how many Spanish speaking employees work for Fender, I'm not surprised to see such markings.

9. petruz

petruz Strat-Talk Member

here are some photos i took today. the pickups have the number 016730 stamped in the back.

10. petruz

petruz Strat-Talk Member

johnner, thank you for the photos!

11. petruz

petruz Strat-Talk Member

to candyapplered: sure, i'm concerned about that, too. that thing shouldn't be there.

to texbiker: yeah, i thought about that too. maybe at the corona plant many employees speak spanish. even so it's pretty strange, i'd like to see a "100% certified" fender with a mark like this.

12. johnner72

johnner72 Strat-Talker

You're more than welcome Petruz!

13. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

Here's another oddity: there should be two "stacked" pots for the lower tone control, as part of the TBX circuit on Am Stds. Maybe the whole pickguard assembly has been changed?

14. petruz

petruz Strat-Talk Member

oh gosh... i always played 335s, no "strat jungle" at all :p

15. petruz

petruz Strat-Talk Member

Today I had the confirmation that it is a real Fender.

16. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

at the very least, the ground wires are wrong...they have been changed to cloth wire, not seen on production fenders in that time period...plus two of the pots are CTS with the dimple, while the bottom tone isnt.....maybe somone did'nt like the TBX that came stock

fwiw....heres the neck pocket of my 86 american standard

[​IMG]

and the neck date

[​IMG]

so they werent always stamps

heres the guts to my 88

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. angelmaniac

angelmaniac Strat-Talk Member

In Germany we would stamp like this. In german March is called "März" (Or Marz with no ä an the stamp). Normaly we date DD-MM-YY in Europe.

Maybe it helps...

18. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

I think you have an '89 Standard Strat with a changed pickguard, TBX changed for a regular tone control, the pup's look like the originals, but I agree with Orlando Mike, the ground wires are defintely not original and why would anyone want to change THEM? However a lot can happen to a Strat in 20 years so anything is possible!

19. petruz

petruz Strat-Talk Member

thanks a lot for all the info and photos. in the end i decided to pass this one in favour of a "safer" 2005 sunburst am. standard with a maple neck. needless to say, this guitar is 100% untouched :)

i'm taking my time getting accostumed to it and i'll open a new thread concerning making jazz on a strat.

thanks again for your kind support!

20. Basher

Basher Strat-Talk Member

I know you didn't buy the guitar but I just took some pictures of my '88 Strat Plus' neck and pocket (for another thread) and thought I'd pop them here for another example of a handwritten, as opposed to stamped, date. I've no idea what is stamped in the neck pocket though as it's smudged beyond recognition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]