21 or 22 Frets

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Landshark2021, Apr 3, 2021.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

21. I like the original look better and I don't like having to mess with both the pickguard and neck if I just want to remove the pickguard.

Torvald and Triple Jim like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

It just depends on how the body is routed. It certainly wouldn't be a problem with a swimming pool rout, but when I had a 22 fret neck on my '76 Strat for a while, it had the problem.

3. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

I have a 22 fret neck on my main gig guitar , I got it from Warmoth in the 90s. I don't know if I have Ever played the 22 fret. Plus, it overhangs the pickguard so I have to take the neck off to do any electronic work. I've done a few mods on it, changing what the pots do, changing pickups, and it is kind of a pain, for no real benefit. I'd hack if off if I could do it cleanly.

4. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Strat-Talker

Agreed, maybe my DIY and my MIM are routed HSH, or even HHH, I'm not sure from memory, but that would certainly help.

5. beaz

beaz Strat-Talker

20160416_182554.jpg doesn't matter

BuddyHollywood and StummerJoe like this.
  6. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Senior Stratmaster

I like 21, that’s what I grew up on. Don’t really care,tho. But I dislike the headstock truss adjust purely for cosmetic reasons

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

I barely use 16 frets. I have 22 on my Am Pros and 21 on my MIM Standard. No preference at all

8. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

My 22 fret MIA does everything a vintage strat can do, plus it will shred when required.

9. jsegovia

jsegovia Strat-Talk Member

I play in a classic rock cover band and we do some tunes that need that 22nd fret ('Carry On Wayward Son' and 'Stone in Love,' for example) so it does make a difference to me, but my all-time favorite Strat - my Eric Johnson Strat - is only available in 21 frets so I make do. I try to use my Les Pauls on the tunes that require 22 frets (although 'Stone in Love' requires a whammy bar) but I've learned how to make do with 21 frets as well.

If we're just talking frets, 22 frets for me (or 24 if it's a PRS), but if we're talking guitars, some guitars are definitely worth dealing with 21.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  10. Ian M.

Ian M. New Member!

From what I understand about modern Fenders, the number of frets has more to do with country of manufacture or what "level" of the brand they are.

Attached is a photo of my "Fender Wall". If you notice, the black Tele Deluxe and the orange Tele are Squiers and only have 21 frets. The Mustang and Jaguar are Fenders and have 22 frets. The black Strat is a Fender but is MIM and only has 21. I also have a Squier modified Jazz Bass and a Squier '51 that only have 21 frets each.

Lower quality, non-US, and all Squiers will have only 21 frets. No clue if it's because it's cheaper to just do 21 frets because it's less material, but you'll start to notice this if you look at Fenders.

So in short, 21 frets may mean lesser quality, while 22 frets may mean higher quality. Make sure you check the headstock for the brand and country of manufacture if you're really picky about having a US made or high-quality Fender.

[​IMG]

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  11. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talker

A brand new Player Strat has a list price of $779.99, and you can probably get it for less. I'm thinking that the used Vintera is overpriced.

12. Tremoluxer

Tremoluxer Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Ditto + ditto!

My Strat is my only 21-fret guitar. Occasionally I miss the high D, but if I really need it out comes the Tele, which, at the moment, is a 5-string tuned in open G, so, oh well.

13. AJBaker

AJBaker Strat-Talk Member

22 is better.
    I still want 21 on my Fenders though.

14. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

It doesn't matter. If you're playing up there too often, get a keyboard player. BTW, do you think that the person who bought that strat was disappointed when he got home and realized it only had 21 frets?

And as another aside, you folks who think you may have OCD, stare at the pick guard on a strat for two minutes and if the shape in relation to the body doesn't drive you bonkers, you don't have OCD.

15. Torvald

Torvald Strat-O-Master

I like 21 on strats and teles for the vintage vibe, but 22 wouldn't be a deal breaker if I liked the guitar. I like 22 on other guitars for the same reason.

Caffiend likes this.
  16. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Strat-Talker

21 is my preference. I never use those last couple frets, and it's a pain to removed the neck to remove the pickguard.

17. Caffiend

Caffiend Strat-Talk Member

Horses for courses. I tend to set up 21 and 22 feet Fenders differently. 21’s tend to get a more ‘period’ setup (heavier strings, action you can really bend under) and 22’s Jen’s to be lighter and lower. I’d go lower still on something like an Ibby RG550. No real reason for settling 21’s up like that, it’s just habit. My 21’s tend to be rosewood too.

I wouldn’t let something like a 21 feet neck put me off but it’s just about what you want. No point buying a guitar you don’t wanna play!

18. JC FARMER

JC FARMER New Member!

21 is enough! Besides, I like the sound of that high D better when it's reached with an easy bend up from the 21st fret.

19. kilroy

kilroy Strat-Talk Member

I'd guess most guitar players never use the 22nd fret anyway. I do, but it's pretty rare, and I can't imagine that it would be a deal killer for me if everything else was a go.

Having played 22 frets my entire life, a few years ago I got a 24 fret Ibanez, and I get confused when I'm playing it, because I'm lazy and I'm used to thinking to get that high E, just go the last fret and bend. I've hit a few F#'s by mistake on the Ibanez....

20. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I have a love/hate relationship with 22 fret necks - the extra fret does come in handy at certain times, but the minute you have to do any work under the pickguard that extra fret is a pain in the butt. I definitely understand why Fender went to a swimming pool rout in the late 80's.
    With a 21 fret neck the guard drops right in...