21 or 22 Frets

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Landshark2021, Apr 3, 2021.

1. sttrat714

sttrat714 Strat-Talk Member

2. pumpkin

pumpkin Strat-Talker

...do you need 22 frets rather than 21 ? A very nice Strat that is easily sold at $700 and in baby blue is a 'no brainer'. Grab it and try to get it for 70-90 dollars less at GC! Then resell it or sell another Strat if this one is unusually nice!

3. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talker

I currently own 5 guitars and couldn't tell you how many frets any of them have. I can say with confidence that the I can access more frets on the electrics than I can on the acoustic.

TepidPilot likes this.
  4. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

When it comes to Stratocasters, I prefer 21.

tatoo likes this.
  5. tatoo

tatoo Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Same here.

6. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy New Member!

The late great Tommy Tedesco used to say there's no money above the 5th fret. I have a couple of 22 fret strats but I almost always reach for one of the 21 fretters, they just feel and sound right somehow. YMMV of course.

7. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

With 22 frets you can play everything.

8. Pnovick

Pnovick New Member!

22 frets for me is a must - I use the 22nd fret for high A solos all the time and my band plays a lot in the key of A (Skynyrd Tribute). I tried using my 21 fret strat and missed the 22nd fret right away. I had a 24 fret PRS style guitar and kept overshooting on solos and ending up in the wrong key - LOL. I sold that guitar. I learned and grew up on an original 1961 Gibson Les Paul SG 22 fretter so I guess it is also connected to how you learned and what you are used to. The strats I own that came with 21 frets now have 22 fret USA or MIM great necks on them.

BuddyHollywood and Gas4Strats like this.
  9. scotjudy

scotjudy Strat-Talk Member

I won’t get an electric with less than 22 frets. I was going to get an Ultra Jazzmaster, but it’s short 1 fret. The Pro Jazzmaster has 22.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  10. captaincod

captaincod New Member!

I am much too vain for 22 frets on a Strat.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  11. CCK1

CCK1 New Member!

To me, it just doesn't matter. Never failed to play a song because of 1 fret.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  12. gazzie

gazzie New Member!

I have 40 or so guitars and have no idea how many frets each one has!

I've been playing since the mid 70's in loads of bands, done a lot of recording and hundreds of gigs.

What I'm trying to say is - it doesn't matter. If you like the guitar, get it.

Also it occurs to me that having 1 more fret only actually gives you 1 more note - the extra note on the top E string, because all the other "extra" notes you'd get on the other 5 strings are already available with a 1 fret shorter neck!

13. beep.click

beep.click Strat-Talk Member

I don't think I've ever counted. Pretty sure I have guitars with 24 (Rickenbacker???), but I'm never up higher than 16.

14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

15. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick New Member!

Not only the Stratocaster but the Telecaster before it, both wore 21 frets. These instruments were cutting edge in their day and have stood the test of time with thousands of hit songs both written and played on them across almost every music genre. Yes you can now buy a Strat with 22 frets, 5 way switch, humbuckers and even order a Tele the same way or with a Strat neck; However a ‘real’ Stratocaster has 21 frets and personally whilst I own, and use, about 6 Strats both modern and vintage, including a VG, at the end of the day I will always gravitate to a 62 with 3 way switch and 21 frets. I can bend that last one if I need it.
    I have been playing since 1959 and bought my first second hand 62 USA Strat in early 1964. It’s never let me down, it’s the lightest most comfortable, useable and kick ass guitar I own and my collection is quite considerable. if I wanted 22 frets then I’d pick up my Jaguar but I rarely if ever do. Having said all that, this is me and my personal choice. Fortunately we’re all different, as is music, so you go for whatever floats your boat, gives you inspiration and puts the smile back on your face.

16. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

22. Removing the pickguard sucks a little more though...

It is somewhat equivalent to 3 way or 5 way. Quack quack.

I like quack. DuckL.gif

17. turfdoc

turfdoc Strat-Talk Member

I play slide, so.....

18. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talk Member

Hell I don't even bother filing the fret ends past 18. To go there could leave permanent scars :D

19. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I see your dilemma...I always thought that if I had more than 21 frets, it would be a shredders guitar.

I only have 1 22 fret fender, all of the others are 21.

But I have a 24 fret, which is a PRS CE24. I never use the high registers, Im no shredder. But I like having the option to access to higher notes.

20. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I always prefer the 21 fret necks. If I need that high D note I can easily bend the C# up to D anytime. I like the vintage style necks better, but I’m old....go figure?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 1:56 PM
    Bob the builder likes this.