2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx - Rush (Cover)

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Stellar !

Interstellar even! Thanks AA.

Late to the party again... outstanding! That is some serious guitar work Ralph, you are right on the spot through all the movements with both the challenging rhythm and fancy leads... That's quite rich in content brother. Great tone on that PRS, what were your settings?

Thanks for popping in Mike. By Rush standards this one isn't too difficult although the time signatures still kept me on my toes. Listening back, the judges gave me an 8/10 on a few of the landings. ;)

The guitar sound was a generic "hard rock" patch on my BR-800 that I rolled the gain back a bit and popped up the presence. I used my pedal board for the intro delay, phaser and boost for the solo. It seemed to work reasonably well although the phaser sounds a bit muddy I'm guess that's because everything is actually before the BR-800 in the signal chain.

Now I know what the band is called Rush, it sounds like rushing thru a song. As usual your performance is great, thanks for sharing

Not a fan of Rush I take it? :D Admittedly they can be polarizing but I appreciate you having a listen and the nice comment.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Nailed it! That was awesome. Great job on the solo with the bends and quick vibrato.

Thanks Squid. I've always been a huge fan of the band and Lifeson in particular but my recent deep dive into a few of their songs has really increased my appreciation of Alex. Putting the odd time signatures aside, he's a fantastic rhythm player. As a soloist, he may not be named among the usual giants of rock but his sound and phrasing are so distinct to my ears. You know it's him from the first few notes.

gonzo

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 4, 2009
POWDERVILLE, UTAH
nice!!! sorry i missed this one,
i love this era of rush...

i suppose the only thing you could do to make this even better woud be to use an actual Gibson es355!
but since i've seen him live, play this song with a PRS several times,
this is pretty close!
it's a labor of love doing something like this,
you've spent a lot of time listening to the vibe, beside just learning the riffs, kudos!

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
Continuing my revisiting of Rush tunes the past couple of months, I've been messing around with this one for the past week or so. While I never knew the complete tune, I thought I knew how to play the main parts. After watching some live videos and giving a good listen, it turns out I was wrong as the intro is played with 1st position chords.

Since I like to record these as a performance, I also tried something a bit different and ran my pedal board through my BR-800 so I could hit the delay, phaser and boost when called for. There's a few hiccups here and there but hopefully nothing too awful. My apologies for the awful vocals on this (although to many it might be an improvement over Geddy). I found a couple of backing tracks with the original band but I wasn't happy with the quality so I found this one on Karaoke-Version.

2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx - Rush

Guy
This is not my boat...
But
Truly gave it a jostle...
Great...

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
nice!!! sorry i missed this one,
i love this era of rush...

i suppose the only thing you could do to make this even better woud be to use an actual Gibson es355!
but since i've seen him live, play this song with a PRS several times,
this is pretty close!
it's a labor of love doing something like this,
you've spent a lot of time listening to the vibe, beside just learning the riffs, kudos!

Yeah this is my favorite era as well. Where I lack on execution I hope I make up for in vibe as this stuff is in my DNA as much as any other band. One day I hope to take a stab at Hemispheres.

And I only wish I owned a blonde ES355! Thanks for listening and the nice comments.

Guy
This is not my boat...
But
Truly gave it a jostle...
Great...

Thanks for the open mind Thom and for the support.

@Mouse

forgot to ask....

Where's your silk Kimono ?

That would have been epic! Funny thing is I think my wife has one somewhere we bought as a souvenir from a past trip to Japan. However, asking for it would have taken more explaining than I've got the energy for. :D

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
In a van down by the river
That would have been epic! Funny thing is I think my wife has one somewhere we bought as a souvenir from a past trip to Japan. However, asking for it would have taken more explaining than I've got the energy for. :D

come on Glee... you have to now LOL

do a cover of Soliloquy in the Kimono... its a fantastic solo

Glee reference at 47:20. If you haven't seen this doc you should really check it out... its absolutely amazing.

Last edited: