2nd Half Of NGD Has Arrived, Now Have Full NGD!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by axejock, Mar 23, 2021.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I posted in another thread that I had recently bought a "loaded" Squire Classic Vibe Strat body from Stratosphere (1st 1/2) to put together with a new Player neck (2nd 1/2) that I've had around here for quite a while. The Squier body arrived today, and is absolutely beautiful with a natural finish over Poplar wood and is 100% new and complete. All I had to do was put the neck onto the body (which was a perfect fit) and it's all ready for strings and set-up. I truly am surprised at how nice the guitar looks with natural body, tortoise pickguard, and pau ferro fretboard. Don't know what it will sound like, but the parts used on the classic vibe are quite good and I'm expecting a very good "voice". Here are the pictures of the current status: (that's one of my 2 midnight wine strats standing beside the new guitar)

CIMG1578.JPG CIMG1581.JPG CIMG1584.JPG CIMG1582.JPG CIMG1583.JPG CIMG1586.JPG CIMG1585.JPG CIMG1588.JPG

2. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Looks very nice happy new guitar day to you.

3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

They match up really nicely...good call.For a Poplar body that woodgrain really pops and the Pau Ferro works great with the wood body.I bet it'll sound as nice as it looks.

TN703800 and StummerJoe like this.
  4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Sweet! That grain is fantastic for poplar, looks a lot like ash. Congrats!:thumb:

TN703800 and Baelzebub like this.
  5. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Beautiful, congratulations!

6. axejock

Boy, I started the process of setting this thing up properly today and ran into an unusual snag. I was working on the tremolo system and setting the springs and mounting screws properly to allow the bridge to float. All went well until I tried to remove the 6 bridge plate mounting screws and found all of them to be screwed down so tight that it was a struggle to get them to back out. With a lot of effort, I got 4 of them to come out. But the other two had been screwed in so tightly that the phillips screw head "teeth had been completely rounded out (probably at assembly) and they wouldn.t budge with a screwdriver. I worked and worked on them to get them to move with no success. So, my final solution was to use vise grip pliers to grab the heads of the two stubborn screws, and finally got them out. I certainly didn't expect this, and by having to use those vise grips, there was quite a bit of scratching on the bridge plate when the final two screws were removed. This scratching does not get covered up when assembly is complete, so I guess I need a new bridge plate and screws at the minimum. L sure didn't expect this on a brand new guitar!! Oh well, at least it can be fixed but it will take a lot more time than I expected, .

7. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

I have to say, that came together very well, sir. I can only hope that that sounds as good as it looks. Should give you years of enjoyment.

axejock likes this.
  8. Spence

Spence Strat-Talk Member

The guitar looks nice. I just ordered the exact same guitar today. I also have some Mexican necks laying around. So you say they bolt right in perfect fit?

9. axejock

I like Player necks, and have used several of them on builds. They usually fit perfectly on any Fender-type body. The only thing I've ever had to do to make the fit perfect is to remove paint overspray and routing burrs in the neck pocket of the body. I think you will find that the neck fit will be easy and you will like the outcome!

10. Mr_Lahey

Mr_Lahey Strat-Talker

Great looking guitar! My natural strat came with a tortoise shell guard - definitely a beautiful colour combo.