3 bolts to my head!

greezy strings

Strat-O-Master
Apr 8, 2014
Central America
Seems like you did everything but the obvious: neck relief and saddle height.
I have set it up 4 times now.

.010 relief at the 8th fret
4/64 string height at the 17th fret
nut height is fine
grub screws are not loose
no rattle on pup springs or other hardware
no high frets

notes are choking

trying to post audio but I do not have youtube or any other account to link to.

about to post some pics

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI

nut height is fine
no high frets

notes are choking

about to post some pics
Ok, sorry. Go to photos, tap the picture you want, hit share, then create link. It will create a link that you can copy and paste here for us to use. Just make sure it isn't a Rick roll

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England

nut height is fine
no high frets

notes are choking

about to post some pics

I don't have any 'magic' answers, because it seems to me you've been really methodical in your approach to this one. You've got me beat, for now. I'll read this thread again tomorrow, in case I can spot anything you've missed.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon

greezy strings

Strat-O-Master
Apr 8, 2014
Central America
In some of the pics it looks like the frets are lifting. take a piece of paper, on both sides of each fret, and see if it goes under the fret.

Have you checked the level of the frets on both sides of each strings path from first to last fret?
I’ll check that now
In some of the pics it looks like the frets are lifting. take a piece of paper, on both sides of each fret, and see if it goes under the fret.

Have you checked the level of the frets on both sides of each strings path from first to last fret?
also.. the buzz happens even with my other neck attached.. a good neck.. so I’m stumped.. since it’s happening with another neck and another bridge assembly.. doesn’t that mean that there is something else going on?

greezy strings

Strat-O-Master
Apr 8, 2014
Central America
I gave up and tried what I thought went against my stubborn mind and lack of understanding how things work.

I reinstalled the mico tilt grub screw .. loosened the neck screws/bolts and tried it out.. moving the neck in the direction I thought was opposite of what was needed.. as I tried before to shim the neck pocket and on the neck side .. but then the saddles has no room to be adjusted to lower the action.

So I made an adjustment with the micro tilt.. strings lowered to the fret board.. and I begin a new set up...saddle height , trem, relief etc.. it plays better .. it has improved all the strings .. less so on the lower E.. better but still buzzing on that one.. I might try another micro tilt adjustment and set up again.. maybe I can rid the lower E of the buzz.. seems like that is the direction I needed to go in. So neck pocket.. if I can get it a little better I’ll be happy and I’ll order a couple wood shims from Stew Mac and use those instead of the micro tilt.

greezy strings

Strat-O-Master
Apr 8, 2014
Central America
stumpalufagus!!

Ok I believe I found one part of the buzz on the low E. when I pluck it kinda hard .. open E it buzzes... I held on to the Low E tuner and the buzz stops. "f" tuner. So I have it off now.. cant really see or feel anything really loose.. except for maybe the tuner mechanism was not pushed down all the way in its chrome housing?

I think something in the bridge might also be buzzing.. I have swapped it and the saddles and the springs and the strings.. but maybe i have over looked something there..

it still feels like the fret in front of the one I am pressing is the culprit.. but not sure.

is there a spec for what the space should measure between the top of fret bottom of string on the fret in front of the fretted fret?

Last edited:

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
It's probably somewhere between 3/1756th football fields and 17/357th Corollas, according to Fender specs.

^ this is literally how confusing imperial measurements for these things are to any European, no exaggeration :)

kurher

Strat-O-Master
Oct 2, 2017
3rd Stone from the Sun
Maybe this link will work.. vid

I expected way worse, to be honest.
In the pictures the frets look very low and the nut way high. If this is true, it forces you to use more strength to fret the notes amongst other things (how is the intonation on the first few frets?).
Almost any setup will have some buzz if you pluck hard enough. It's essential to listen closely and find where it's coming from.

greezy strings

Strat-O-Master
Apr 8, 2014
Central America
I expected way worse, to be honest.
In the pictures the frets look very low and the nut way high. If this is true, it forces you to use more strength to fret the notes amongst other things (how is the intonation on the first few frets?).
Almost any setup will have some buzz if you pluck hard enough. It's essential to listen closely and find where it's coming from.
I think your right. The nut is a little high.. the frets are the small vintage frets and they have been leveled and crowned.. There were a few big dents on a couple and the leveling took off a lot of materiel. Should have just replaced those. Guess its going to need a re fret. I have the stuff to do it but have never done it before.

The G on the low E 3rd fret is a little sharp.