Join Strat-Talk Today

$48.00 for a string change

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by problem-child, Sep 10, 2019.

1. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talk Member

I've never paid anyone to do a string change. I've only for paid one set up in the 28 years I've been playing. Paid $70 + strings (in 91) for the store's "Tech" to set up my guitar. That set up was complete garbage! Then I paid $35 for a book (again, early 90's) on how to do set ups & basic repairs. I do my set ups & my bass player's who prefers mine.

I'm always amazed when there's a person who depends on a tool to accomplish their goals but won't take time to understand how it works or how to know when it isn't working properly.

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

My 19 year old restrung his classical by watch you tube tutorial.

That guy has too much money and ought to pay double.

davidKOS and Mansonienne like this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I have all sorts of classical strings, from as cheap as 5 dollars a set, all the way up to about 60 dollars a set. And I can mix and match different brands for different needs. I should run a Craigslist ad, now that school is back on.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  4. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

I can perfectly understand it.
    The guy who drives the NASCAR car isn't fixing it.

Although a string change is pushing it, takes more time to drop it off than do it.

3bolt79 and Bob the builder like this.
  5. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I am a lazy butt, GC does my strings and its $20 on my guitars unless there is a Floyd... They do a decent job, and they do a little polish on the frets and clean up the guitar.

It is well worth it to me to open the case up ands have like a "new clean guitar day". Just dropped of my Gibby SG with the robots still installed. They can have that pleasure.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't pay that much to re-string a Stradivarius..

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. ibdrkn1

I guess I don't know much about the average race car driver. I guess I always assumed that they would start off driving & working on their own cars until they reach a level where it's better for a team of liscened techs to do the work, but they still have a basic understanding of how a car works in order to explain what needs to be tweaked/fixed.

I didn't realize they were either born into that gig or hired through a really good resume.

Andrew Wasson and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

A Yorkshireman has a strangle hold on his money! I’ve just come back from France and Spain, I know the £ is pretty-much worthless!

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Should have come to Yorkshire, we'd have looked after you and your money. :D

10. Wrighty

Aren’t you still using groats and eating fish and chips out of old newspapers!?

3bolt79 and AxemanVR like this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

No but we still hunt southerners for sport.

12. Wrighty

People pay for others to do what they can but don’t want to. How many of you pay to have your car washed? I do sometimes, though I could obviously do it. I can decorate but choose not to, basic electrics and plumbing to.

Besides choosing how I spend my money and time, it’s keeping others in work and aiding the economy. Don’t see why it bothers anyone.

13. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

That's a lot of money for plastic stings.

I remember back in '84, when I was still a hot headed lad, was ticked off about something, sitting in the driver's seat of the bug, punched and broke the windshield. New one cost $48, installed, and it had the green sun strip across the top. Course back then, for me, that was 14 hours of wages from Pep Boys.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I could see higher charges for string change on a classical than for a metal string guitar. You have to know how to tie the knot--it's simple, but you have to know how. And those strings have to stretch for quite a while before they'll hold tune. If re-stringing includes stretching and tuning 6 times a day for 2 days (which takes about 5 minutes each time), that's an additional hour's worth of attention.

If it's just slap some strings on there (what I'd expect from most places)--I don't see how you justify more than $10.

dogletnoir and 3bolt79 like this.
  15. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

But there are very expensive string sets on the market esp. for classical guitars.

All the best,
    Robin

dogletnoir and 3bolt79 like this.
  16. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Good thing he didn't pay me to do it. Until reading this post, I didn't even know you tie the ends of classical guitar strings !! However, if a complete and utter stranger asked me to change strings on his guitar and wanted to pay me, I don't think $20 for changing strings and cleaning the fretboard is unreasonable at all. I wouldn't want to waste my time for anything less.

At a time when I did home remodeling on the side, I wouldn't touch anything for less than $100. Just not worth my time and effort. Friends or family were an exception. But I wouldn't accept money for changing their strings, either.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I remember having my guitar set up and giving the guy a set of strings to put on as part of the process. It felt really weird to have somebody else stringing up my guitar, but you have to have new strings to intonate.

I string my daughter's guitars for her. Yeah she could figure out how to do it herself but I figure I'll do her the favor while I can.

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    I'm still having a hard time paying almost $5 for a set of D'Addarios, so "no way" is my answer - although I've also wasted hundreds of dollars on frivolous guitar related stuff in the same time period that it takes to wear out a set of strings, so go figure...

`

`

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue I don't seem able to get it straight in my mind... Strat-Talk Supporter

Have you read this?
    629.jpg

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  20. ibdrkn1

I've not, but if this really is a book about motorcycle maintenance & not a book of clever euphemisms I should probably get it as I inherited my Dad's motorcycle & it needs repairs. Since I also inherited his shop tools & am somewhat handy, I'll probably give it a go when I'm ready.

3bolt79 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.