Join Strat-Talk Today

$48.00 for a string change

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by problem-child, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue I don't seem able to get it straight in my mind... Strat-Talk Supporter

To some degree it is very much about motorcycle maintenance, why I mentioned this book is because your previous post that I quoted, to me felt like as if it came right out of that book. Especially the last part where you said

"I'm always amazed when there's a person who depends on a tool to accomplish their goals but won't take time to understand how it works or how to know when it isn't working properly."

Anyway, get and read it I think you'd like it. It's more like a feeling I guess.

2. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talk Member

Lol. Cool. I'll keep an eye out for it.

3. davidKOS

davidKOS back in the studio Strat-Talk Supporter

As a long term but on-and-off guitar tech, I can see both sides.

First, I learned to work on guitars when I was a kid and the assistant stock boy at a big music store. I learned from an old pro named Harold Stubbs how to restring and set up almost anything fretted, and to do other work like very basic violin setup, replacing skin banjo heads, and so on. Later on I worked at Foster's and learned a lot from Jimmy and Gene. I also learned how to work on a variety of woodwind and ethnic instruments.

I only hired other guys when it was beyond my skill or tool level.

BUT

Many folks are not versed on setups, and I've seen players that have great dexterity playing the guitar but are pretty ham-handed when working on a guitar.

Those folks may benefit from a pro setup.

As to GC and the tech's pay, well, I never worked there so I cannot comment with any accuracy.

dogletnoir likes this.
  4. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Michael Schumacher started racing go karts when he was 4 years old.
    Danica Patrick when she was 10.
    I think that would qualify as born into it.

5. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I was thinking the same thing. I even thought of a plumber analogy right before I read your post lol !
    Like.... a bunch of plumbers standing around poking fun of the guy who paid to have his faucet replaced....
    Pssfffttt....... I'd never pay someone to do that!

BallisticSquid and JB74 like this.
  6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Now that I think about it, if i was wealthy enough, I'd have someone string my guitars.
    Heck, if i was wealthy enough, i mean really wealthy, I'd probably never drive a car again. Just have someone drive me around lol.

BallisticSquid and davidKOS like this.
  7. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Exactly, people pay to have their lawns cut, their oil changed, their houses cleaned and their meals cooked for them every day.
    It's a simple decision, you just need to decide if saving the time and effort is worth the money you are paying.

Chont likes this.
  8. circles

circles humaniod life form Strat-Talk Supporter

How about a 12 string?

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Charge em double!

circles likes this.
  10. ibdrkn1

Did either of those people an interest in learning the mechanics of how a car works? I bet both spent a lot time actually working on cars before becoming high level professional drivers.

If the answer is no, then I would agree with you. That's probably as close to born into it as you can get.

When I was 4 I was likely busy picking my nose & possibly finished by 10.

11. ibdrkn1

Ah, so it's a lazy thing? Or an entitlement thing?

Packing up a guitar, loading it into a car, driving to the shop, waiting to speak to the clerk, then doing the same thing in reverse in a day or two doesn't save time or effort.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  12. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue I don't seem able to get it straight in my mind... Strat-Talk Supporter

Speaking of being born into it. Carrie Fisher watching her mom Debbie Reynolds perform on stage at Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas, 1963.
    IMG_20190911_204032_570.jpg

davidKOS, circles and Chont like this.
  13. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

at twice that, on a Rickenbacker, even I would pay lol :D

circles likes this.
  14. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I agree completely, if we're talking about a guitar that's reasonably easy to change the strings on. It would take me half an hour just to drive to a place where I could pay someone to change my guitar strings. Then half an hour to drive back home, and in a couple days do it again. 2 hours driving to get a 10 minute job done is not about lazy. It's about lack of confidence or competence, or maybe both.

Changing strings is a different skill than playing. A person can have the ability to do one without the other. If I lost my eyesight I'd still play guitar--but I wouldn't restring a Bigsby if I coudn't see.

ibdrkn1 likes this.
  15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I'm one of those guys that paid to have a plumber install faucets in our bathrooms and kitchen. Is it rocket science? No. Could I learn to do it? Yes. Do I have a desire to learn how to do it? No. Can I think of a million other things I'd rather do in my meager free time? Damn straight I can :). Same goes for changing the oil in my car or other routine maintenance. I do mow my own lawn and clear my own driveway in the winter. Those cross the cost/benefit line for me.

With my guitars, I generally don't mind stringing them up. One night I did 3 in a row...only one of them had locking tuners. It started feeling like a drag. I can understand why pro touring players have techs take care of that for them.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  16. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I see both sides of this now that I think about it.

I've changed faucets, drains, hot water heater coils and things like that. I do mow my own lawn but I have a tractor LOL. I won't do my own oil change because for $20 bucks its worth it not to have to deal with doing the work and disposing of the oil. I'd rather sit in the waiting room and browse strat talk while i wait.

Changing strings however is a personal zen thing for me and my guitars. I also feel like no one is gonna take as good a care of my guitar as me. Good to give your guitar the TLC it deserves.

I know a guy who is a brilliantly talented player and has a really nice strat. He brought his guitar to work one day and said he had to drop it off at GC for a string change. I'm like what? you play that well and don't change your own strings? And he said he doesn't trust himself to know how to do it right. I thought that was odd... yet he had another guy change his pots at work and I watched the other guy do the work and cringed. I pulled him aside and said he's gonna burn the pot out ... he's holding the iron too long trying to get the solder to melt. Sure enough the pickups gave no sound. He took it in to GC and when he got it back he told me I was right and he should have had me do it. Nice kid... great player... he'd should really learn to do basic maintainance ... every one should but that's my opinion.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  17. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

"Only $20 to tune it and you can pick it up next Tuesday":D

BallisticSquid likes this.
  18. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I use a tractor to mow my lawn also...and a snow blower for the snow :).

Part of the reason I do those things myself is they get done when I want them done and I'm not at somebody else's mercy. I would feel the same with paying somebody to do my string changes. In the time it would take to drive to drop the guitar(s) off and pick them up when they were done, I could have done the job twice probably!

When I had more time I enjoyed the task. It is also when it gets a good polish, clean the frets, oil the fretboard if necessary, make sure everything is tight, etc.

I agree that everybody should know how to do basic maintenance. One day I will teach my daughter to do her own string changes.

rocknrollrich and Chont like this.
  19. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Love this photo

Guy Named Sue and BallisticSquid like this.
  20. Guy Named Sue

I do too, it's one of my favorite pictures. It really tells a story and you sort of come back to look at it again and again.

Here's a couple more favorites, this is an unknown lady smiling, the picture was taken in circa 1880. Why I like it so much is because it really goes against the norm when it comes to pictures from this time period, where you rarely if ever see people laughing or smiling. All with serious faces, I often wonder did people even smile back then? She proves that they did. :)
    2125703359679382180.jpg

And to not drift too far off topic and bringing it back home. This little rascal is Johnny Rotten:D you can just see that this one is going to grow up to cause some serious mayhem.
    2125677141689016474.jpg

#edit hahaha I thought this was the Punk rock thread, why I posted Johnny rotten haha

BallisticSquid, Chont and LPBlue like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.