5.7 magnitude earthquake in Salt Lake this morning

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratSounds, Mar 18, 2020.

1. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

At 7:09 this morning I was jarred awake by a loud rumble, a shaking bed, and a chest of drawers banging violently against the wall. The shaking went on for about 20 seconds. It was the biggest earthquake in this area in 60 years and the first quake I’ve ever experienced in my 20+ years living here. I’m sure some of our members in California are used to this sort of thing, but it was a scary, helpless feeling for a first-timer. With the weirdness of the Corona Virus already in the air, this earthquake felt a little apocalyptic, very weird timing.

Luckily no deaths have been reported. Our airport received major damage and has been evacuated and shut down, and 55,000 homes are without power. Thankfully mine isn’t one of them. I haven’t found any damage or smelled any natural gas yet, my house is wood frame and built in 1918, so hopefully it just flexed a bit.

It looks like some homes and buildings had significant damage, especially downtown. There have been over 30 small aftershocks with seismologists predicting more over the next several days or even weeks. We’ve only felt 3 or 4 of them so far. My mom called and I was on the phone with her when the biggest aftershock hit a couple hours ago, another loud rumble and I saw one of my guitars start swinging on it’s wall hanger. Very, very bizarre if you’ve never experienced it. Anyway, strange times have just gotten a little bit stranger around here.

2. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Wow. Glad you are OK.

I was in some California aftershocks. Buildings are not supposed to move. When the one you are in starts to, it really catches your attention.

Stratwrangler and StratSounds like this.
  3. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Glad you are ok. I remember my 1st time being in Los angels, fast asleep im my hotel room. I woke up to my bed sliding me around like a fried egg in a greasy frying pan.
    I knew what it was, but man, it was unsettling, and that was a minor one.

StratSounds likes this.
  4. jim293

jim293 Senior Stratmaster

We are about three hours away and did not get anything. But my friends throughout the Salt Lake area sure felt it.

StratSounds likes this.
  5. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

we just had a 5.8 on the North Coast... big enough to notice but no damage... but we're supposed to get them here.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    StratSounds likes this.
  6. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I'm in SLC. I feel a little bad about being a crass native southern Californian feeling right at home in this. But I definitely feel a bit nervous in my large bring 120+ year old house. If it was closer or stronger, our place would be in trouble. As it was, about 10 miles away, we just had a couple things fall off shelves and a lot of dust and tiny rubble shaken loose around the hand built brick fireplace & chimney. That thing's definitely a mahor earthquake hazard.

I do however have plenty of guitars to get through any disaster.

StratSounds likes this.
  7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Mrs. Told me about this...
    I'm trying to figure the fault...
    The cause of activity...
    But
    I only have 3 semesters of geology(earth sciences)
    How can I know...
    We focused on California and Washington seismic zones...

StratSounds likes this.
  8. StratSounds

We just had a 4.6 aftershock. I was in the bathroom and felt a single jolt, then walked out into the dining room and the entire house began to shake for about 5 seconds.

This is wild. Seismologists said the reason we’re feeling significant shaking from these relatively low magnitude quakes is because the epicenter is shallow by geological standards, ONLY six miles deep.

circles likes this.
  9. StratSounds

We’re supposed to get them here too, not with the frequency or ferocity that you guys do, but we get a lot of small earthquakes and an occasional larger one like today’s.

One big difference is population density, most earthquakes here occur in unpopulated areas so no one really notices except the seismologists and the mule deer. The major thrust fault in our area, the Wasatch Fault, runs for over 230 miles along the base of the Wasatch Range and there are hundreds of smaller faults associated with it.

They’ve been warning of “the big one” for the 20 years I’ve been around these parts. This wasn’t the big one at 5.7, but it was big enough! The chest of drawers in our bedroom was dancing around like it was possessed for 20 seconds this morning. I’d like to take a pass on the big one if possible, thanks!:D

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

They're scary alright. I felt the Virginia one way down here a few years back. The whole time I was just thinking "OK... settle down now... don't get worse!"

StratSounds and Stratoman10 like this.
  11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

scary yeh...
    while back(in my auto mechanic days)
    Daly city Ca (Harvy Baily's) transmission shop...
    Was under a rack pulling a ford C6....
    Rack starts to wave...
    Walked into the street...
    Went to the corner bar
    Ordered shot and a back...
    Boss showed N sez(What)
    "Harvey my Balls missed a shift "

StratSounds likes this.
  12. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I have family Salt Lake also and heard about the quake early this morning via text message. Fortunately all safe.

StratSounds likes this.
  13. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

and now we just had a 5.2! (preliminary figure)

Humboldt County CA

14. didger

Where are you at? I'm in the Avenues, so close but not too close. I imagine you were much closer if your dresser was goin' nuts.

In other news, do you play around town? I mean... I know pretty much nobody is right now! But normally.

I feel really lucky I had some giant gigs I was working on for like 5 months March 6 & 7 just before it all hit the fan. We had 4 shows playing Zeppelin tunes in the Clark Planetarium synced to animation & lights. If it had been a little later and got cancelled, I would've been heartbroken after all the work I put in. Fortunately I put all my energy into that and didn't have anything else booked in March. Got a few gigs in April that I really hope go ahead.

15. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

In the UK we are safe from this type of thing, I don't even want to think about what it would be like either. Be safe :)

StratSounds likes this.
  16. StratSounds

I’m not far from you, in Sugarhouse. We own a two story wood frame/wood sided farmhouse that dates to 1918. It’s a narrow tall Victorian and our bedroom is upstairs, so it got to rockin pretty good up there when that quake hit this morning. Pretty terrifying. I’ve got some heavy wooden filing cabinets in my office downstairs and several of the drawers were half open when I walked downstairs. The house is an all wood structure so hopefully we just flexed with it, might need a truss rod adjustment though, ha.

Glad you got your Zep gigs in before the virus cancellations started. I just play with friends, so no cancellations here, but I was pretty bummed because I had tix to Ana Popovic this week and also a three night run with the veteran jam band Moe at the Egyptian in Park City last week. All cancelled.

didger likes this.
  17. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

That's all we need now is lots of earthquakes . . . stay safe .

18. didger

1898 place with lots of brick for us. Just one story, luckily. And the man cave basement.

I had to do a little Moe-related scrambling. I work part time at KCPW Public Radio, liaising with local business, recording sponsor messages, etc. I voiced a spot for the Moe show, then on short notice had to pull it and figure out what to replace it with instead of dead air. :p A big part of what I've had to do since last week is figure out what all the cancelled events are that we were going to be promoting.

StratSounds likes this.
  19. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'm in SE VA we had one pretty similar to that a while back. We dont get those here. It felt like someone shook my chair. Which was kind of freaky since I live by myself. Didnt know what it was at first. Some people felt it, some didnt. Weird

StratSounds likes this.
  20. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

Happily I haven't lived in CA for quite a while now, but been there with the quakes many times. Never got use to them. Hopefully it was just a fault groaning a bit and it will be many years before Utah gets another. Stay easy.
    J.

StratSounds likes this.